A "proper" 1000R - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

A "proper" 1000R

I have a couple of days off work and thankfully some relief from the weather today. I called-in to the local dealership today (Spectrum Ducati/Aprilia/MV) to see if some decals I ordered were in. Our buddy Aaron answered the phone, and he mentioned to me that they had just today fitted their red/silver 1000R demo bike with the race ECU and RG3 exhaust - it's the very same bike all of us down here demo'd before we bought our F4's. Without wasting much time, I went there to try it out!

When I pulled-up, the bike had just come out of the shop with the upgrades. I noticed the shinier RG3 exhaust (a little more "silvery" than the gold-tinted stock exhausts). I couldn't wait to give the bike a spin.

Here are some of my impressions, note that these are really just my comments from the limited time I had spent on it this morning. So these are more for "street" situations, rather than "high-performance" track commentary:

1) I started the bike, there is barely any difference in sound with the RG3 exhaust compared to stock. So mild, it's almost insignificant.

2) The RPM was at about 1,800-1,900, definitely higher and sounding a bit more "aggro" than stock. Ok...

3) I give the throttle a little snap, and wow... that's different, the response from the engine was nice and tight... instantaneous, unlike the stock bike which will lag a bit when you do the same. It's like the bike talked and said "oh, so you wanna rock?"

4) So I pull out. The little surge from the 1,200rpm mark to the 2,000 mark (common on all 1000R's) is gone. When you pull-out with a 1000R (I hear it is the same for the liter Sennas) for the first time ever, that little surge from 0mph is a bit surprising. Not a big deal when you are used to it though. But it's nice that it's gone now.

5) So I go out, ready to terrorize the streets of Irvine. I go to some of my favorite nearby empty stretches and see for myself what the big deal about this Race ECU is all about... and it doesn't take long to see why:
The big flat spot and the 5K rpm is competely and totally GONE. The progression of the fuel delivery is straight as an arrow and does not deviate whatsover from its mission towards the higher RPM. Damn, now this is a PROPER 1000R. It felt so damn good, I went straight into the parts department when I got back and bought the damn ECU... and I am usually careful with my expenses, especially on big ticket items like this!
Although the bike behaves much like the 312R now, it is still somewhat different in that the 312R tends to save much of its power for the top-end, whereas this 1000R tends to distribute the power more evenly. Where the 312R tends to be parabolic in its power delivery, this "proper" 1000R tends to be linear. This is the way I feel it is. Which is better? Shiiieeeetttt I'll take either one.
6) RG3 Exhaust: The difference in sound between the RG3 exhaust and the stock exhaust on the 1000R can be confused as "no difference" on unfamiliar ears, however, if you are familiar with the sound the stock 1000R makes, you will definitely hear the difference, which I like very much. It is subtle, and does not bastardize the MV into an obnoxiously sounding bike. I am still, however, not sure whether I will fork the cash for it. I also do like the light-gold-tinted tips of the stock exhaust more than the more 'silvery' tips of the RG3.

Although the 1000R is a tremendous bike right out of the box, I must say that once you have tried the 312 or a 1000R with the race ECU, you might be like me and think that the 1000R's stock fueling is pretty fucked-up in it's stock form in comparison to this, pardon my french.

It makes me wonder why MV didn't do this to begin with, but I suppose they have to comply with very stringent euro emission standards... or maybe they just want more of our money, lol.

Last edited by Sig.Scuro; 01-25-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 04:11 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
That was a very good report.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig.Scuro View Post
I have a couple of days off work and thankfully some relief from the weather today. I called-in to the local dealership today (Spectrum Ducati/Aprilia/MV) to see if some decals I ordered were in. Our buddy Aaron answered the phone, and he mentioned to me that they had just today fitted their red/silver 1000R demo bike with the race ECU and RG3 exhaust - it's the very same bike all of us down here demo'd before we bought our F4's. Without wasting much time, I went there to try it out!

When I pulled-up, the bike had just come out of the shop with the upgrades. I noticed the shinier RG3 exhaust (a little more "silvery" than the gold-tinted stock exhausts). I couldn't wait to give the bike a spin.

Here are some of my impressions, note that these are really just my comments from the limited time I had spent on it this morning. So these are more for "street" situations, rather than "high-performance" track commentary:

1) I started the bike, there is barely any difference in sound with the RG3 exhaust compared to stock. So mild, it's almost insignificant.

2) The RPM was at about 1,800-1,900, definitely higher and sounding a bit more "aggro" than stock. Ok...

3) I give the throttle a little snap, and wow... that's different, the response from the engine was nice and tight... instantaneous, unlike the stock bike which will lag a bit when you do the same. It's like the bike talked and said "oh, so you wanna rock?"

4) So I pull out. The little surge from the 1,200rpm mark to the 2,000 mark (common on all 1000R's) is gone. When you pull-out with a 1000R (I hear it is the same for the liter Sennas) for the first time ever, that little surge from 0mph is a bit surprising. Not a big deal when you are used to it though. But it's nice that it's gone now.

5) So I go out, ready to terrorize the streets of Irvine. I go to some of my favorite nearby empty stretches and see for myself what the big deal about this Race ECU is all about... and it doesn't take long to see why:
The big flat spot and the 5K rpm is competely and totally GONE. The progression of the fuel delivery is straight as an arrow and does not deviate whatsover from its mission towards the higher RPM. Damn, now this is a PROPER 1000R. It felt so damn good, I went straight into the parts department when I got back and bought the damn ECU.
Although the bike behaves much like the 312R now, it is still somewhat different in that the 312R tends to save much of its power for the top-end, whereas this 1000R tends to distribute the power more evenly. Where the 312R tends to be parabolic in its power delivery, this "proper" 1000R tends to be linear. This is the way I feel it is. Which is better? Shiiieeeetttt I'll take either one.
6) RG3 Exhaust: The difference in sound between the RG3 exhaust and the stock exhaust on the 1000R can be confused as "no difference" on unfamiliar ears, however, if you are familiar with the sound the stock 1000R makes, you will definitely hear the difference, which I like very much. It is subtle, and does not bastardize the MV into an obnoxiously sounding bike. I am still, however, not sure whether I will fork the cash for it. I also do like the light-gold-tinted tips of the stock exhaust more than the more 'silvery' tips of the RG3.

Although the 1000R is a tremendous bike right out of the box, I must say that once you have tried the 312 or a 1000R with the race ECU, you might be like me and think that the 1000R's stock fueling is pretty fucked-up in it's stock form in comparison to this, pardon my french.

It makes me wonder why MV didn't do this to begin with, but I suppose they have to comply with very stringent euro emission standards... or maybe they just want more of our money, lol.

+1 but reset the ecu/TPS to restore the idle

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 04:20 PM

Would this race ECU fit a 2005 'S' model?

How much is it?
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
Would this race ECU fit a 2005 'S' model?

How much is it?
Nope... S models are the 1.6 Magneti Marelli ECU and require a new EPROM to change fuelling, not an ECU replacement. The R models are the new 5SM ECU that are replaced by the Race ECU from MV Corse.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 05:32 PM
The Machinist

Great news Sig!

Keep us posted on how your bike reacts to the new ECU without the pipes.
Do you have an airfilter fitted?

post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 07:22 AM

Nice report!

So even to fix the fueling you would not fork over the extra $$$?

I believe she is the Devil in a candy wrapper.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 11:33 AM

Nice report Fernando --- you just sold me on the Race ECU, ordered it myself yesterday.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 05:21 PM
MV1

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dova80 View Post
Nice report!

So even to fix the fueling you would not fork over the extra $$$?

No Dova I believe you mis-understood. He seemed to love the fix that the race ECU provided in terms of fueling response, but was still somewhat reluctent to fork over the extra cash for the RG3 exhaust system which has less to do with the actual fueling and is more so related to a reduction in back pressure. In the future try to keep up, please.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 05:29 PM

I'm getting the race ECU as soon as possible.

I rode Stamos 312R yesterday and could not believe the fuelling, yes you do get used to the R fuelling.

No 5k surge from the 312 at all and the power does come on much later in the rev range.

07 F41000R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

09 Blazing orange Speedtriple
07 CBR 600RR trackbike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode