Wrenching Observations - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Wink Wrenching Observations

I spent the day yesterday tearing into my new F4, doing all my planned mods. Here's what I noted.

1. Many frame and engine fasteners were loose. I checked over the entire bike and found about 10 that would have rattled loose in short order. 3 were on the sump cover. Bike is brand new.

2. The weight on the radiator is excessive. I noted this when replacing the fan blades and doing a remote switch mod. After reading the threads on the cracked top brackets I began looking around. I just saw a recent thread about shops in NZ fitting a lower radiator support and I came up with the same idea yesterday. The lower radiator support isn't really a support, but rather a simple bracket with rubber grommets to pull the bottom of the radiator into proper orientation. I fashioned my own bracket out of a length of aluminum. If I was into the aggrevation, I'd yank the radiator and redo the top brackets to spread the load

3. Getting to the idle stop screw between the inboard throttle bodies is a MOFO. I had to use a pick to pull all the yellow paint out of it before carefully backing off the screw to reset the tps.

4. ECU removal was a breeze. Smart design. Somebody tell Ducati.

5. The DNA air filter is plug n play, unlike the BMC. No mods necessary for fitment.

6. The stock exhaust isn't nearly as heavy as I'm used to. I was expecting a far greater weight savings. I'm guessing I only saved a few pounds with a stainless header/mid and ti slip-ons.

7. I don't know why MV uses a double-spring setup on the throttle setup, unless it's a safety thing. Detaching the outboard spring really helps the feel IMHO.

8. I tried to come up with a different design for the dreaded airbox wellnut setup, but in the end just replaced with new ones.

9. Coming up with weight savings will be tough. Carbon can do a bit - air runners, airbox. Aluminum tank and wheels. The problem is the motor. It's a lump. They shaved weight off the new RR, but the R needs to go on a 30 pound diet to be competitive with other liter class rockets. Of course, most of us didn't purchase it because it was light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 06:50 AM

Nice post, thanks desmo.

I'm gonna spend some time on my bike with a torque wrench

SENNA 070/300
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 09:52 AM
lee

Desmo,

I too share your concern about the weight of the radiator assy hanging from those two small brackets. I looked at the NZ bracket thread and fail to see how that helps support the weight. Stabilizes them but doesn't bear weight. What did you do differently and what was your thinking behind what you did?

Lee

I got mine. Boy do I ever got mine.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 10:20 AM

The TPS should be set electronically via special software. The throttle stop screw is set at the factory for a specific opening angle, and the TPS reset feature calibrates the ECU to consider the current value from the TPS itself to correspond to that angle. I don't know how your adjustment will work, but I would not recommend that method.

2008 MV Agusta F4 312 R
2002 Ducati ST4S
1998 Ducati 748
1994 Ducati 900SS
1980 Yamaha TZ250G
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 10:22 AM

New Site Garage
Hi Desmotimes, nice write up, you mentioned the wellnuts.....I removed mine and pressed in small plastic raw bolts (with a bit of silicon adhesive for extra grip), they still alow the fitment of the original screws into the plastic and have worked perfect for 1000's of miles, just dont overtighten them! May help???

MV F4 750 EVO3 2003
MV Brutale 910s 2007
Honda VFR800 1998
Honda MBX 125 FE 1983
F4 Agusta mini moto replica
Chinese Quadbike made of peanut butter (crunchy).
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Ball & Chain magnet

Send a message via Yahoo to Djester
[QUOTE=desmotimes;161820]I spent the day yesterday tearing into my new F4, doing all my planned mods. Here's what I noted.

I tried to come up with a different design for the dreaded airbox wellnut setup, but in the end just replaced with new ones.

QUOTE]

how's this help you?? I used these (picture) on my bike after getting tired of having to take the air box off hen that little rubber well nut rips and the threaded part drops into the box. Just have to use a set of pliers to turn the jagged edges back to being flat.... I found some better screws to insert into the fasteners from home depot but any hardware shop should have the goods...hope this helps..... and after about a thousand miles re-check the clearances as mine have changed just enough to make a difference

also... on a different note.... please check the gap between the bottom fan and the headers when everything is back together (except fairings). I came across this problem by chance when I was removing my lower radiator to get the last drops of coolant out. My headers (arrow Ti) were rubbing against the fan housing and almost wore through my headers!!!
To fix this I added a few small washers on the back side of the mount that holds the lower fan assembly to the motor block (not the 3 holed triangle mount, but the one that the triangle fixes to between the headers and to the block). dont put too many washers or the fairings won't fit back on. I'll try to get pics up so they can give a better idea.
Attached Images

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 01:03 PM

Great info Desmotimes, thanks for sharing it
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Those fasteners are the ticket, but since I have stash of 50 of the 4mm wellnuts, I stuck with them. I'd prefer a dzus setup, but I don't exactly need to get into the airbox often, so it's no big deal. The placement of those wellnuts is brilliant -- direct shot for the brass insert to fall into the intake. My bracket looks similar to the one from the NZ pic. I'll be making a batch. Same attaching points too. I tried the left side, but couldn't find a suitable spot. There isn't a whole lot of attaching points that you can use. TPS was reset with VDSTS software to 2.3 degrees. If you replace the ECU you have to zero out the butterflies and reset the TPS. Piece of cake. I know what I'm doing, but thanks for the concern lizzardo. Good tip to watch the path of the impeller. I'll be checking for interference when I install the remote fan switch kit. :-)

Last edited by desmotimes; 01-23-2008 at 08:56 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmotimes View Post
TPS was reset with VDSTS software to 2.3 degrees. If you replace the ECU you have to zero out the butterflies and reset the TPS. Piece of cake. I know what I'm doing, but thanks for the concern lizzardo.
Glad to hear it. The newer ECU makes for a few differences from my what Ducatis need. I've had some helpful pointers from others and like to pass them along. When I changed my ECU, it thought my throttle was 8 degrees instead of 2.3, but the software reset cleared that up. I was worried that if you closed the throttle butterflies too much, you'd get the problem the early 750s had: so much vacuum it makes it hard to reopen the throttles.

Enjoy!

2008 MV Agusta F4 312 R
2002 Ducati ST4S
1998 Ducati 748
1994 Ducati 900SS
1980 Yamaha TZ250G
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

I used to miss the old 1.6 ecu and using a multimeter to measure the millivolts of the tps, but resetting the tps with software based on tps zero is a breeze once you can access to the stop screw. 8 degrees vs 2.3 degrees is a whopping difference. I don't even know if the bike would run with it being that much off. Ducati's have been using the same tps setup since 2003. The 5SM is very much like the 5.9 in Ducatis.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode