Vibration - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
lee

Vibration

I have vibration in my handlebars that rivals or exceeds that of a rigid mount HD panhead. It starts at off idle and just goes from there. Has anyone experienced this and if so what did you find? I doubt bar end weights will solve it as the ones on there now are pretty hefty and to me that's a band aid, not a solution for the cause.

I got mine. Boy do I ever got mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 10:51 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Is it a shake or a wicked buzz?

CAG
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 11:08 AM

I'd check that all four cylinders are firing evenly and also that all the engine mounting bolts are properly torqued. You shouldn't be getting any appreciable vibration at the bars.

2008 MV Agusta F4 312 R
2002 Ducati ST4S
1998 Ducati 748
1994 Ducati 900SS
1980 Yamaha TZ250G
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 11:10 AM

Does the frequency and amplitude vary with engine rpm while stationary? This would not be a good indication to have. I would guess this could be an expensive problem. What ever, it is not right for sure.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee View Post
I have vibration in my handlebars that rivals or exceeds that of a rigid mount HD panhead. It starts at off idle and just goes from there. Has anyone experienced this and if so what did you find? I doubt bar end weights will solve it as the ones on there now are pretty hefty and to me that's a band aid, not a solution for the cause.
Some 910 Brutale owners complain about vibes, personally all 3 of my F'4s have been fine, I changed the bars for performance.de one's which had a plastic end bar weight which was noticeable, but as soon as I had the bars machined to take the std F4 weights the tingle vanished.

There was one other person I recall who had 'severe' vibration problems, I seem to remember he gave up in the end and got a well known UK engine builder to strip and get the crank balanced, he said that sorted it.

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
My 910R has the normal and expected "buzz" vibration in the bars, somewhat mitigated with heavier bar ends, and much reduced in amplitude with break in mileage behind me. If you have severe vibration ( by comparing it to the 1951 Pan Head I had would be severe in my opinion) then you have something loose, out of spec/adjustment or just plain wrong.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
lee

The vibration is a "buzz" which seems to stay the same as I increase rpm. But it's going to numb my hand in short order ala panhead fingers. It is much stronger on the right side than the left. When I first got the bike I noticed alot of "slop" in the throttle, maybe .015" diff in throttle bore and bar OD. It was just flopping all over. So, fruitcake that I am, I made a sleeve out of shim stock and slipped it into the throttle bore to get rid of the slop. Which it did. I can't remember if it did it beforehand (old man with no mind left) but do you think that might be causing it? Does the throttle need slop to mute the vibes? I wouldn't think so but then it's a bike, eh?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 06:34 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
It's not my intention to hijack your thread but How did the radiator fan adventure work with the fairings on?
I don't think .015" is that much. Rather than sleeve the entire thing, just put a small shim at the end where the throttle meets the bar end.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
lee

Haven't done it yet. Tomorrow. Tired of it for the moment.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
My right thumband index finger gets numb after time at steady highway rpm, but some of that is due to my ancient broken wrist issues. Weighted bar ends or a bar snake will definitly help. Good engine tune and broken in motor also help. It is an in-line 4 with agressive power and light flywheels, so it's going to buzz some. I find that I have no complaints when I'm in the twisties, and on-off throttle changing rpm constantly. It's only the freeway slog that gets my hand numb.

But the vibration I experince is completely different from anything my old Harley did...at least, best I can remember. That was 38 years ago.

And, yes, I think throttle tube clearnace on bar contributes, but that's a fact of life and present on very bike.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode