Carbon fiber gas tank? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Carbon fiber gas tank?

im posting this for a friend that owns a f4 also he wants to know if anyone had put a carbon fiber gas tank and air box on their bike for the street and if they had any leakage problems because i want to shed some weight of the bike. Thanks guys

Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 05:31 AM
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS
Hi Sam

I've had problems in the past with Ducati carbon fuel tanks leaking (only very slightly).. I've since been told by a Main dealer that other Ducati's with the same modification have suffered with fuel leaks, and it is a common problem.. My Ducati tank was made by MS Productions for Ducati Performance, so you would have thought there shouldn’t have been a problem

My F4 has a genuine MV Special parts carbon tank and air-box currently fitted, but I haven't had sufficient road miles under my belt to advise whether there is going to be any future issues with this mod..

I’m sure there are several members on the forum that have carried out this modification.. Hopefully they will be along shortly to help out and in a better position to advise you further . Good Luck with the F4 Plan Diet ..

PS: Oro and Veltro owners are best qualified to answer your question

EMAIL :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JDS; 01-21-2008 at 08:37 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 06:38 AM

New Site Garage
Hello gents.
Did anyone consider the fact that in a case of an accident the Carbon fuel tank might break?
I would replace the standard airbox, but I wouldn't trust a carbon fuel tank. My 5cents

Kostas
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 08:18 AM
lee

A CF fuel tank is a conflagration waiting to happen.

I got mine. Boy do I ever got mine.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Established Member

CF is stronger than steel weight for weight not weaker and if it is correctly manufactured is also seamless why would it leak or be less safe in a crash?

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 11:12 AM

Only two good things about a CF tank. Lighter and does not rust when you let it set up.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Established Member

I'd recommend a Ti exhuast system + lighter wheels, if he doesn't already have them. Good way to lose 7 or 8 kg (15-18 lbs)

"I am a Cafe Racer myself, on some days - and it is one of my finest addictions." - Hunter S. Thompson
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 05:59 PM

Someone makes an alu tank that will save some weight, available in 1.2mm and 1.5mm thicknesses. http://www.moto-works.jp/beater/index.html#a1

I used to use a PRC 1005L fuel tank sealant for my 996/R1/RC-51 carbon fibre tanks (I like the ones from eti-fuelcel). You need to prep and clean the inside before coating (lucky there's a big hole access in the MV and 996once the fuel pump is removed). Lasted me for years. It's the same coating used for UAV fuel tanks. http://www.silmid.com/products/index.asp?product=SEAA01

Last edited by Sybarite; 01-21-2008 at 06:02 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannershy View Post
CF is stronger than steel weight for weight not weaker and if it is correctly manufactured is also seamless why would it leak or be less safe in a crash?
Stength to weight, sure. NOT for impact. CF will shatter, steel will bend. It's a stiffness issue, not a strength one.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 06:53 PM

Try pm-ing jimmyz, he might be able to help

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7300

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode