1000R and 312R test ride - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

1000R and 312R test ride

Hi guys, been a long time lurker here. I do know some folks here from the 1098 forum. I have a 1098S and a 999R, never owned an MV but always wanted one. My buddy Ara7 (who is on this forum) who recently bought a 1000R had convinced me to go test ride the bike at my local dealer.

So yesterday I did just that and was equally impressed with both. The power is astounding, I've had Gixxer 1K's in the past and I have to say the power rush on the MV is second to none. Downright scary if you don't have good self control. I was truly amped after I got back from each ride. I liked the 312 better because of it's smoother throttle response which helps me modulate the throttle better going in and out of corners. However, my dealer has a great deal going with the 1000R that has me thinking twice.

My question to members here is, will changing the mid-pipe and installing the race ecu help smooth out the throttle response on the 1000R? Has anybody done this and were happy with the results?

Thanks in advance.

Arnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Established Member

Smile throttle response

you do have to wonder about the throttle response on the F4. I know, this has been the subject of much discussion. Still...
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Established Member

I have an '07R and have the same concern (problem's too strong a word) with respect to the throttle response. I'm used to it but when I get tired of dealing with it, I'll do something. I've installed the mid-pipe, no ECU yet, and I've noticed no difference in the throttle but I wasn't expecting any with such minor mods. I've read a number of posts from other folks who've addressed the situation by modifying the throttle spring mechanism. It's in the forum somewhere and shouldn't be too hard to dig up. It's probably how I'll deal with it until I install RG3'S and a new ECU. Not gettin' much ridin' in these days anyway. Good luck oh and by the way, get the MV. Throttle-schmottle the bike's "Nucking Futs."

MotoMan
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 06:43 PM
MV1

Hey Nucking I have the earlier S model 1000 which doesn't seem to suffer with the same throttle response issues as the current R model is know to have, but I believe most of the R owners have been able to overcome this annoyance through a combination of tuning and fuel maping, without to much trouble other than the added expense it involves. I think you'll find that even when you factor in the price of a complete exhaust upgrade with either a new eprom / chip unit and or power commander the R model, at it's current rates / package still represents a pretty outstanding deal that's tough to beat.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
I have an '07R and have the same concern (problem's too strong a word) with respect to the throttle response. I'm used to it but when I get tired of dealing with it, I'll do something. I've installed the mid-pipe, no ECU yet, and I've noticed no difference in the throttle but I wasn't expecting any with such minor mods. I've read a number of posts from other folks who've addressed the situation by modifying the throttle spring mechanism. It's in the forum somewhere and shouldn't be too hard to dig up. It's probably how I'll deal with it until I install RG3'S and a new ECU. Not gettin' much ridin' in these days anyway. Good luck oh and by the way, get the MV. Throttle-schmottle the bike's "Nucking Futs."
LOL, yes the bike is "Nucking Futs"!!! The pearl and black has been on my mind all day today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV1 View Post
Hey Nucking I have the earlier S model 1000 which doesn't seem to suffer with the same throttle response issues as the current R model is know to have, but I believe most of the R owners have been able to overcome this annoyance through a combination of tuning and fuel maping, without to much trouble other than the added expense it involves. I think you'll find that even when you factor in the price of a complete exhaust upgrade with either a new eprom / chip unit and or power commander the R model, at it's current rates / package still represents a pretty outstanding deal that's tough to beat.
With the current incentives being offered you are correct, it is tough to beat even with the added expense of the mid pipe and ecu. Which is why I'm seriously considering getting one.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 08:39 PM

Taking off a spring on the return for the throttle helped alot! but its still a bit of on and off. I dont have quite the funds to spend on a mid pipe and exhaust right now but when I do I will have to let you know if it works.

The black/pearl is the tits!

I believe she is the Devil in a candy wrapper.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Established Member

Send a message via AIM to zwampy Send a message via Yahoo to zwampy
I had the RG3, mid-pipe, bmc air filter and a race tune done and the throttle difference is very noticeable.
Much more linear delivery and predictability on the roll on...i have had another post on here with the dyno run if anyone wants to see the curve...

here is the link: http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13788
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV1 View Post

+1

VELOCEMOTO HD The Art of Italian Sportbikes on film.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 06:19 AM

NF,
I have Rg3's, mid pipe and mv corse race ecu. The bike has been set up beautifully and the response is smooth and progressive, the 5k rpm surge eliminated. (plus the sound)

But unless the dealer will look after you on these mods...the cost could bring you up to the price of the r312...which has better throttle response out of the box.

SENNA 070/300
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 08:20 AM
Established Member

I can honestly say that I have had very little issue with fuelling, (I have 1000R) other than a bit of snatch coming off a part closed throttle in first gear, which seems to affect most bikes, no matter what size or make. It certainly affected my previous Fireblade, & Ninja before that. I guess it is what you just get used to, or what you see as an issue.

Careful initial set up by the dealer initially would overcome most of the issues IMO.Talking with Mitch Moseley (Red Dog) he has had several recent experiences MV handing out bikes to the press with the throttle bodies so out of balance it's untrue. Guess what - they slated the fuelling !

I have just had RG3s fitted with the race ECU, but have retained the cat.
have not run the bike on the dyno yet - will probably find out the fuelling is cr*p now !!!!!

has anyone mapped the difference between cat / no cat with the RG3s?

Went mainly for noise, although you can never have enough HP !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode