FNG, need advice - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

FNG, need advice

Hello all,
New to the forum and am considering purchasing a new 07 1000R. I've got 19 years experience riding R1's, Ducati 998/916/1098, and an RC51, street riding and track days.
I'd like to ask the experts a couple of questions and would greatly appreciate anyone's feedback. I've done a quick search but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

1) The heat issue, is it something major or only a minor annoyance? Do all 1000R experience this and does it include overheating or do the bikes simply run hot? Is there a fix?
My 998 ran at very high temps when new. I installed an Evoluzione low temp fan switch which resolved the problem.

2) Maint., is the valve adjustment interval around 7,000 miles?

3) Common problems that I can expect to encounter? Is this bike going to be reliable or will I need to make friends with my local service shop? The dealer I'm thinking of purchasing from is very reputable, but 150 miles away. The closer dealership isn't as recommended from a friend who's been there. Having to trailer the bike 150 miles one way, often, due to service issues, is going to make me rethink buying this bike.

Anyone's help or feedback would be very much appreciated. Any owners out there care to give me their assesments of the gorgeous F4 1000R?

Ride safe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 03:44 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Welcome aboard. The most common problem you are likely to encounter is people stopping you and asking what kind of bike it is. Be prepared for this.

I have several MVs and I have found them to be quite reliable.

The overheating issue is a big one. You can search the threads but the main concern is that they run hotter than other bikes. Once you get to 234f the temp indicator on the instrument cluster starts flashing which can be ominous. I'm not sure how many have actually boiled over. (Unless the overflow was over filled, but thats another issue) Members here are trying various things to help the bike run cooler. One of the most promising fixes, in my humble opinion, is Lee's 1098 fan addition. I can't wait to see how that works out.

Very few have problems with the bikes over heating while the bike is moving.

Buy it. Ride it. Enjoy it. There are lot of smart people on this forum who likely will be able to help with any problem you have.

CAG
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 07:16 PM

Moonlighter -- welcome to MV forum! There is a good bunch of people here!

it looks to me like you have read-up on some the 1000R issues. Yes it runs hot. And it does have a 5k rpm surge, which is just fine for street riding, although (IMHO) must be changed for high performance riding.

I have 500miles so far on it. My particular bike has an unfamiliar clicking sound that is likely to be resolved at service with a few adjustments.

That's my list. Which bike ever came out of the box perfectly?

Other than the above, this motorcycle is a dream. A complete and total dream. This is my 8th bike, after 17 years of riding, hopefully I am just warming up. This is also my 5th Superbike, and it is the finest superbike I've ever owned.

About the bike's reliability. As beautiful as MV's are, they are built like tanks. My other MV - Brutale S, has 9,000 miles on it, and it is as intense and problem-free today as it was from the showroom floor 3 years ago.

Haven't owned an MV yet? can you afford it? If so... don't hesitate. Just buy it.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 11:56 PM
Established Member

Welcome. Get the bike, you won't regret it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 12:08 AM

I don't think you'll have reliability problems. The bikes run hot, especially in slow going, but mine has never overheated. I got one of the first 100 Strada model 750's back in 2000 and used it as a daily driver for 14 months and 17,000 miles. I'm not as cavalier about the 312 as a daily driver when the weather is bad because it'll sometimes catch me out with major wheelspin on dry pavement. In crap weather, I drive an AWD car that makes less power than the 312. Maybe I'm getting old.

Nevertheless, my Italian bikes, the MVs particularly so, have been incredibly reliable.

2008 MV Agusta F4 312 R
2002 Ducati ST4S
1998 Ducati 748
1994 Ducati 900SS
1980 Yamaha TZ250G
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 05:17 AM
Established Member

get it and ride it they don't overheat unless you stop or go really slow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. If I make the purchase, I look forward to joining the family! The overheating concerns me though, has anyone experienced boil over?

I just cleaned out my garage and have found room for one more bike, it could be a sign from the Gods that I need to pull the trigger.

Another question that I'm curious about: What is the typical approach to fitting an aftermarket exhaust? The only ones that I've seen in person were Ferracci pipes and they looked really nice. I'm not necessarily needing more power but won't argue if an exhaust system brings that. Does the 1000R have an exhaust valve (EXUP in Yamaha speak)? My typical approach with past bikes has been to fit a Power Commander and either half or full system, and get the bike dyno tuned afterwards to smooth out the power curve. If anyone can recommend exhaust systems and PCIII or ECU mods, I'd be grateful.

This seems like a great web site, thanks for welcoming me. Ride safe!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 04:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
Moonlighter, you will find the MV's are less mainatnece intensive/expensive than your Dukes. I had numerous Dukes and now into my 3rd MV, and no comparison in that regard.
I have the S and don't have any issues some guys here experience.
Best pipes I believe is go with a set of Arrow RG3's which look identical to the standard but are straight through desing. Sort of like going from standard to Termis on your Dukes. They are not too loud but give a wonderfull shriek when you are the pilot.
I fitted a corse chip, got rid of the cat and put a PC on. Perfect.
The riding / handling will be similar to your Dukes but the 1000 4 is a monster of an engine and will take some time of adjustment. I also found the engine slipper clutch weird at first (especially coming from Dukes), but now I love it.
You really need to get to a track to revel in them, but on long fast seepers where you can let it sing, they are glorious.
Good luck

MVA Sydney

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode