BMC Air Filter: Is it Noisier? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

BMC Air Filter: Is it Noisier?

This is for HES. We just replaced his OEM filter with a BMC unit, and now he says the engine is making a loud noise above 6000 rpm, like a turbine. I noticed a change in mine also after I did my 7500 mile service and installed the BMC. I figure the noise is just that the BMC does not dampen the intake sound a much as the foam OEM unit. Anybody concur with this theory, or is it due to some other quirk of the filter.

All I know is it definitely is noisier when that quad starts breathing hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 03:30 PM

Yep, definitely noisier. I found it to be not a huge difference.. but a difference all the same.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 06:25 PM

Any noticeable performance gain from installing the bmc air filter?.Is true if you have your bike with rg3s ,power commander maped correctly on the dynoe then add a bmc later you need to get the power commander remaped as this affects the air fuel mixture? anyone?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 07:21 PM

The sound he's referring to is intake noise also referred to as intake howl . It is usually more noticable with aftermarket air cleaners , I personally love the sound . As for the question about re-mapping , if you want the most out of the bike then yes you need to re-map .
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Any noticeable performance gain from installing the bmc air filter?.Is true if you have your bike with rg3s ,power commander maped correctly on the dynoe then add a bmc later you need to get the power commander remaped as this affects the air fuel mixture? anyone?
I didn't notice any performance change after I installed my BMC, nor was I expecting to; just the extra noise. I only went to the BMC because it was time for the 7500 mile service and I prefer having an air filter that can be cleaned and reused, rather than a disposable. Any minor performance improvement is incidental, and frankly insignificant. I have the RG3 pipes & EPROM, but no Power Commander.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Smile

I concur, a little bit of induction roar from the BMC, haven't got a clue about the performance increase cos I changed filter,pipes and fitted a PC all at the same time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode