1000S owners who have changed exhaust - question - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Question 1000S owners who have changed exhaust - question

I was going to post this under the "Exhaust Question" thread from this morning, but didn't want to hijack that .....

Okay - I just bought a 2006 F4 1000 S and wonder about exhaust mods. The consensus I have read seems to be that the RG3 is the preferred slip-on. What I don't get yet is whether the mid-pipe needs to be replaced on the "S" model, and if so, why?

Also, should I change to the chip supplied with the RG3, go with a Power Commander, both, neither?

I've seen a lot of discussion about this on R and 312 models, not so much on S models. Thanks in advance!

You come out of corners with the bike sideways like the Beautiful Holy Mother! -- Valentino Rossi, on racing Superbikes vs. GP

2009 Triumph Bonneville SE
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200
2006 MV Agusta F41000S
2000 Honda VFR 800 (RIP ...)
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1983 Suzuki XN85 Turbo (x3)
1979 Honda CBX
1977 Laverda 1000 Jota
1974 Norton 850 Commando
1963 Matchless G15/45
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 01:51 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Step one: Replace the mid pipe. Step 2 get the rg3s. Step 3 either get the chip to go with them or get the Power commander. I would get the PC if I were you.

You don't "need" to replace the midpipe but if you are fitting the "race" exaust you should.

CAG
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
You don't "need" to replace the midpipe but if you are fitting the "race" exaust you should.

CAG
Okay - what benefit does this provide? (By "race" exhaust I take it you are talking about the RG3 ....)

You come out of corners with the bike sideways like the Beautiful Holy Mother! -- Valentino Rossi, on racing Superbikes vs. GP

2006 MV Agusta F41000S
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1979 Honda CBX
1977 Laverda 1000 Jota
1974 Norton 850 Commando
1963 Matchless G15/45
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Smile

I'd go along with what CAG says although I went for Ti rather than the RG3's, slightly different exhaust note but both are much better than standard IMO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...…..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 02:28 PM

Well, I replaced mine. Removed the cat. Just allows the bike to breath better. I then fiited a PC and then placed on the dyno, job done. Hwever one little bit of very important advice and I have learn't this from bitter experience, when the bike goes into the MV dealer for servicing, MAKE SURE they don't return the bike to factory settings.

'' Oggi Corriamo''
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 02:45 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
The conventional wisdom is that by removing the cat, you make the exhaust more free flowing. Benefits include less heat build up in the exhaust and more hp/torque. Not having seen a dyno run comparing cat equipped with cat removed I can't say for sure you will achieve this. Removing the cat probably changes the exhaust note slightly, but again I think it is subjective.

I have tried stock, RG3s and Ti on my 1000. To my ears, the RG3s sounded best, followed by the Ti. I think the Ti sounds better on the 750. Again I have not had the bike dynoed yet with the RG3s Power commander and Titanium midpipe. I do have a dyno run for the 1000 in bone stock trim.

So, I like the sound of the cat-less RG3 equipped 1000. I put no faith in the butt dyno. I will reserve judgement on performance until I dyno the bike again.

CAG
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 04:18 PM

New Site Garage
I replaced the midpipe, put on a RG3 with an Rapid Bike module. Top end power stayed about the same, but over the whole range I gained lots of hp and nm. Would you like me to post the graph?

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Velocity View Post
Would you like me to post the graph?
Yes, please. I doubt that I will feel the need for MORE power than stock, but the prospect of better QUALITY of power is worth contemplating the considerable lump of cash required for RG3s, mid-pipe, and a PC.

CAG (and others), what can you tell me about the difference between the Nissin brakes vs. the new radial Brembos?

2006 MV Agusta F41000S
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1979 Honda CBX
1977 Laverda 1000 Jota
1974 Norton 850 Commando
1963 Matchless G15/45
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 04:58 PM
MV1

I have a 1000S myself that I have just got done tuning a stock exhaust system on, with only an open cat. done to it. This mod by itself, along with the proper chip (to enrichen the mixture) have increased the horsepower by what seems to feel like 5 to 10 hp while also making the bike more responsive throughout it's powerband to boot. In my opinion despite whatever exhaust system you ultimately end up deciding on you need to do the Cat as part of that upgrade if your expecting an real benifits from it other than just sound db's. In my eyes at least, the cat mod is the pre-mod you need to do before any other mod involving the exhuast- simply because of the nature of it's design, how it effects back pressure when in place and the amount of heat it produces.

Last edited by MV1; 01-19-2008 at 08:27 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 05:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
I agree with the other guys. I have an S.
Replace the CAT mid pipe first. Needs no tuning mods.
I put the RG3 's on because I like the look and sound. I tried 3 chips. The standard, the Ago and the Corse. I couldn't get the Corse to run right. I loved it's racier feel but it backfired badly. I actually put up with it for about 6 months because it was a great feel.
I then had a PC 111 installed with the Corse chip and some slight tweaking and voila...it is fantastic. So strong everywhere.

So that's my little story. Even the Duke guys come after at a stop and says that it sounds beautiful.

MVA Sydney

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode