Exhaust question - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Exhaust question

Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm taking delivery of my new F4 next weekend. I need some advice on exhaust options. I really want to remove the stock mid-pipe, (along with the cat!) and go with an open set-up. Not because I need the few extra horses I'll get, but because I know the bike will run cooler and smoother without the cat. FBF sells a "full" system - midpipe, titan cans, and eprom chip, and then tunes the bike to the new system with the new chip. Another dealer told me there's very little, (if any!) difference between the stock cans and the aftermarket titan cans in terms of sound and performance. He recommended just replacing the mid-pipe and leaving the stock cans, with the stock chip, which he said is adjustable. He said that by taking the cat out with the new mid-pipe and tuning the stock chip, I'll get the same performance and sound as I will with the "full" system. (I keep putting "full" in quotes 'cause I've learned that over here in MVland, we don't actually change the headers, is that true?)

I compared the stock cans to the titan cans, and while I'm sure the titan cans are lighter, they don't appear to breathe better. And while the silver looks cool, I also like the black look of the stock configuration. So what's the deal? I'm leaning towards replacing the mid-pipe only and re-tuning with the existing chip, but I'm skeptical about the dealer's claim that they can retune with the existing chip. Anybody have experience with just removing the cat and running stock cans? Is the stock chip/map adjustable? Is there a sound and/or performance difference between the two options?

Elton

Last edited by mrinflux; 01-19-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 06:06 AM

As far as the bike breathing better, my R has more midrange now with aftermarket pipes.
I still have the OEM midpipe/CAT, and the flow out the backend is far more powerful than with the stock pipes.

The weight difference is incredible also.

Apart from the pipes, I've not made any other performance changes. BUT the noise is fanatstic!

07 F41000R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

09 Blazing orange Speedtriple
07 CBR 600RR trackbike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 06:56 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
I don't have an R, but I have removed the mid pipe on all my bikes. By removing the midpipe you will hear a little difference. It is unlikely you will feel any difference. It may run a little cooler, but if your bike is one that runs hot replacing the midpipe won't make much difference either.

There is a lot of difference between stock cans (silencers), Ti and the RG3s. I promise you there is a world of difference in sound between the stock cans, the RG3s and the Ti pipes. (If you are talking about Motocorse Ti pipes.) I have no idea why a dealer would tell you what he did.

Most here do not replace the headers.

If you do a search on this forum, you will find threads with pictures of the inside of the stock cans. There are pipes and baffles inside the "flat" part of the silencers. These are missing from the Motocorse Ti exhaust and the Rg3s. Less weight, less restriction and a completely different sound. The RG3s have a deeper louder tone than the stock exhaust. The Ti cans are also louder but have a raspier thinner sound than stock or the RG3s.

Looks wise, you can't beat slash cut Ti pipes.

CAG
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 12:07 PM

The sound of the RG3's is fantastic without being obnoxiously loud. I like them better than the Blue Flame titanium mufflers. The latter are louder with an unbelievable howl about 10K rpm, but the quality of the sound is better with the RG3's. I'll note that I've only done a back to back comparison on my old 750.

I don't think replacing the header will make any noticeable difference, but that's speculation on my part.

2008 MV Agusta F4 312 R
2002 Ducati ST4S
1998 Ducati 748
1994 Ducati 900SS
1980 Yamaha TZ250G
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 12:53 PM
lee

Cag,

I questioned the presence of baffling in the the Rg3 tailpipe ala the pictures on here of a stocker cut open. I looked up the tip and inside the pancake is a flat plate right before the openings for the tips. I'm not so sure the Rg's don't have something in there as well. Anyone ever open one up to see?

I got mine. Boy do I ever got mine.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Established Member

Send a message via AIM to zwampy Send a message via Yahoo to zwampy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinflux View Post
Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm taking delivery of my new F4 next weekend. I need some advice on exhaust options. I really want to remove the stock mid-pipe, (along with the cat!) and go with an open set-up. Not because I need the few extra horses I'll get, but because I know the bike will run cooler and smoother without the cat. FBF sells a "full" system - midpipe, titan cans, and eprom chip, and then tunes the bike to the new system with the new chip. Another dealer told me there's very little, (if any!) difference between the stock cans and the aftermarket titan cans in terms of sound and performance. He recommended just replacing the mid-pipe and leaving the stock cans, with the stock chip, which he said is adjustable. He said that by taking the cat out with the new mid-pipe and tuning the stock chip, I'll get the same performance and sound as I will with the "full" system. (I keep putting "full" in quotes 'cause I've learned that over here in MVland, we don't actually change the headers, is that true?)

I compared the stock cans to the titan cans, and while I'm sure the titan cans are lighter, they don't appear to breathe better. And while the silver looks cool, I also like the black look of the stock configuration. So what's the deal? I'm leaning towards replacing the mid-pipe only and re-tuning with the existing chip, but I'm skeptical about the dealer's claim that they can retune with the existing chip. Anybody have experience with just removing the cat and running stock cans? Is the stock chip/map adjustable? Is there a sound and/or performance difference between the two options?

Elton
Elton,

Am in the Philadelphia and have a F4R with the RG3, mid-pipe, bmc and race tune if you want to hear it or want to chat a bit more.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you want and I can either give you a call or arrange for a visit.

IMHO, the RG3s are a nice setup, stock looking but a little louder. I love them because they are not obnoxious. The setup also had a nice power curve and some nice numbers at the rear wheel (168hp)

Anyhow, congrats and let me know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode