more 1000R clicking sound - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

more 1000R clicking sound

I've now about 500 miles on my bike, and the "clicking" sound is more frequent, beginning to bother me. Never have I heard such a noise on any of my other bikes in the present or in the past.

The clicking sound is much like the sound you hear when you are driving in your car, and your tire picks-up a rock, throws it into the wheel well and makes a loud 'TICK" or "CLICK" sound.... but this is no rock.... this sound is definitely coming from within the engine of my 1000R.

At first, I only heard the sound just after a downshift, now I hear the sound in other situations, goes like this:

1) Blip-Downshift, roll throttle slowly.... CLICK!

2) Roll throttle to about 4-5k RPM, decelerate... roll throttle slowly again .... CLICK! (this is when it happens the most now)

3) Up-shift, roll throttle... CLICK!

It's driving me nuts wondering what it is. What could it be? Does anyone know what I am talking about? Surely I am not imagining it.

I will be traveling for the next couple of weeks, so I will not be able to take my bike in for service until next month.

Last edited by Sig.Scuro; 01-18-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 08:00 PM
The Machinist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig.Scuro View Post
I've now about 500 miles on my bike, and the "clicking" sound is more frequent, beginning to bother me. Never have I heard such a noise on any of my other bikes in the present or in the past.

The clicking sound is much like the sound you hear when you are driving in your car, and your tire picks-up a rock, throws it into the wheel well and makes a loud 'TICK" or "CLICK" sound.... but this is no rock.... this sound is definitely coming from within the engine of my 1000R.

At first, I only heard the sound just after a downshift, now I hear the sound in other situations, goes like this:

1) Blip-Downshift, roll throttle slowly.... CLICK!

2) Roll throttle to about 4-5k RPM, decelerate... roll throttle slowly again .... CLICK!

3) Up-shift, roll throttle... CLICK!

It's driving me nuts wondering what it is. What could it be? Does anyone know what I am talking about? Surely I am not imagining it.

I will be traveling for the next couple of weeks, so I will not be able to take my bike in for service until next month.
When I had my R1 it made a sound like that. the dealer couldn't figure out what it was.It sounded like a pebble in a cylinder or somethihg.

I did notice on my rides today that this bike does make a bit of noise, just not as you discribe. Mine is more like a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz like a vibration. Maybe one of the Dzus fasteners are loose?
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Brandon -- it really does feel like there is a pebble or something in the engine, hate it.

About the buzzing... mine has a buzz coming somewhere in the nose fairing, probably from the windscreen buzzing against the fairing, or if not the windscreen, then the headlight or perhaps the right sidemirror. I'm guessing it's the windscreen... I'm thinking when I have the time, I will put something there to make it shut up.
post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 08:20 PM
FSL

Lightbulb

I would ignore the sound and ride the bike little bit harder. Sounds like intake popcorns
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSL View Post
I would ignore the sound and ride the bike little bit harder. Sounds like intake popcorns
Yes, FSL ... in fact it does sound like exhaust popcorns, except that it comes from under the tank... I didn't know there is "intake" popcorns??!!!
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 08:51 PM
FSL

Yup like I said intake meaning under the airfilter gas tank area
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 08:57 PM

I wonder how the valve clearances are? Have the dealer check it out for the first service since it is just about due.
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 09:20 PM
The Machinist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSL View Post
I never thought about that, but it makes perfect sense!
When I put an air filter and velocity stacks on my R1 there was a bit of dirt in there and even a Bee.

Check it out Sig, that could be an easy fix!
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 04:25 AM

It's the EBS valve under the tank, get your bike set up properly including a TPS reset, you will need to check if your dealer has the MV Agusta software to do this, i'm 90 odd% certain that is what you are hearing, my mates 1000S used to do it all the time when riding slowly in the smaller throttle openings.

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 07:01 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode