Newbie asking a lot - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Newbie asking a lot

Greeting everyone.

After a couple of weeks reading the forum i've decided to register in order to ask a bunch of questions in my mind (and maybe stepping in some toes, so please, forgive me if anyone offended)

I'm toying with the idea of getting a MV as a dedicated track bike.

I've been riding for 6 year now, up to 2007 all bikes were Dukes, first bike was a 2001 Monster 600 to learn and in 2006 i get a second hand 748 to get in the sport zone.

Last year i also get a K1200R and both, the duke and the K12R share the garage.

When i get the beemer i began to get into track, and since eastern hollidays up to the end of year i get a total of 10 track days, 4 with the beemer (since it was used in the PowerCup i thought it could handle in track) and 6 with the Duke (it's natural habitat)

Anyway, i plan to make this season with the Duke, but, already planning of getting the MV for the next, and that means already getting some information (and maybe even pushing the calendar)

Should i get a 750 since the bike i come from is just 98 CV or shall i aim to the 1000?

The maintenance costs are similar for both models?

In such an use, How many km should i make between oil changes?

Are usual replacement parts for track (handlebars, pedals, etc) expensive?

Are there enough auxiliar industry parts of should always get MV parts?

Maybe later i get some more questions, thanks for your time reading such a long tread.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 08:17 AM

Welcome!

MV will make a great track bike but parts will be much more expensive and harder to get than typical Japanese stuff.

Get the 750 and change the oil alot.
BTW, Dukes are KTM's, Ducs are Ducatis. (I'm such an ass sometimes)

John T
Certified Power Commander Tech.
Authorized Tuning Center/Dealer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 09:28 AM

"New website and New bigger location coming soon"-- if only that location were nationwide alot of us would be happy!
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 03:12 PM

I agree with airfuel, get a 750, and you'll love it. Check emotouk.com for racing parts and spares, also fastbyferracci.com.

And Welcome!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Welcome. I will try and help you with some of your questions, and my opinions for what they are worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremo View Post
Should i get a 750 since the bike i come from is just 98 CV or shall i aim to the 1000? Yes...unless you want more torque and too much horsepower.

The maintenance costs are similar for both models? Yes..costs will be very similar

In such an use, How many km should i make between oil changes? MV recommends 6000 km between oil changes. If you are doing lots of track work you may want to change more often.

Are usual replacement parts for track (handlebars, pedals, etc) expensive? Yes.

Are there enough auxiliar industry parts of should always get MV parts? Aftermarket support is good for these bikes, but limited due to small production quantity and therefore small customer base. It will depend on what you need or want.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 04:40 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
Buy the best personal protection (insert joke here) you can afford. Invest in the best tyres you can afford. Slicks if possible. Buy fibre glass fairings. Keep a close eye on the braking system (pads and fluid volumes) and maintain as needed. Experiment with the suspension settings (preload, compression and rebound) to get the best out of your bike under the more rigorous conditions of a track. Replace as many crash prone parts with after market options as you can. www.ebay.com or www.ebay.it has limited options but they can be found at a good price.
Maintenence will be similar for the 1000. I know people who change their oil and filter after evey track day. I don't. Every 400-500 km would be fine.
Lastly 750 or 1000. Personally I'd go for the 1000. I'd buy a slightly damaged one and build up a track bike from there. I suggest this because you have time on your hands and I'm sure if you keep your eyes open you will find a suitable one.
Let us know how you go and good luck.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to all for answering the questions.

The MV shall take a while to get in my garage, i want it to live with the Duc as far as a shop from Madrid called "Radical Ducati" has an event called "Desafio Twin" (Twin Challenge) for bikes with Ducati engine and i plan to take part in them this year, so i got to keep the Duc.

About the power of the 1000 over the 750, i'd rather make myself to the MV with "lesser" power and later, if money allows, get the big engine. You know, one step at a time, Rome in a day and so on...

So, my mind is already set more to the 750 than the 1000, ok, are there any issues with the model year?. I mean, with the 748, the pre-2000 bikes had a problem with the distribution system and everyone recommend getting a 2000 or newer model, do we got something similar with the MV?

Cheers.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 04:53 AM

Hi and welcome

If you have the $$ for getting the MV now i think one of these would be very apropriate http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11824

As for spare parts you can source some outside of MV Agusta, especially in Italy.

So are going to participate in all the Desafio twin races?
Last year i thought about it, but ended up not participating because the cost was too high for me (i'm in Portugal and had to do a separate insurance etc....), but if i can, i'll enter at least one race this year
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Hi MV-999R, sadly, i don't have enough at the moment to get those bikes, i've already been drooling over them, but are out of my reach yet.

About the Desafio, yes, i'll try to get in all the races, last year i attended with some friend to give a hand in the box and get so excited that nearly pull one out of the bike to race myself...

I've already talking with a couple of pals and we'll try to get into it, but just for the fun, we'll be winning next season...

Cheers
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Established Member

Hi and welcome...

I ride my MV on the track. But if i had the choice and it all depends how much you are into going to the track, i would go with the 750. Parts are hard to get. Unless you put on all racing plastics. Or stock up on extra parts before hand...

Good luck and i hope this helps! Rick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode