engine temp sensor - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
lee

engine temp sensor

The temp sensor located in the engine next to the thermostat housing is the source of engine temp for the ECU. It is a variable resistance type and serves several purposes one of which is to tell the ECU when to operate the radiator fans. It can not be changed out for one with different characteristics or it will throw everything off.

The question is this. Can the ECU be programed to turn the fans on/off at a lower temp without affecting any of the other functions of the temp sender?

C'mon all you ECU geeks, gimme the skinny.

I got mine. Boy do I ever got mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 04:43 PM

That would be great, if there was a way to do it....... summer is coming!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 05:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee View Post
The temp sensor located in the engine next to the thermostat housing is the source of engine temp for the ECU. It is a variable resistance type and serves several purposes one of which is to tell the ECU when to operate the radiator fans. It can not be changed out for one with different characteristics or it will throw everything off.

The question is this. Can the ECU be programed to turn the fans on/off at a lower temp without affecting any of the other functions of the temp sender?

C'mon all you ECU geeks, gimme the skinny.
If it is a temprature variable resistance then you could install a small variable resister in series or parallel depending which way you would like to alter the setting, however I very much doubt it is a variable temprature resister, it is more likly to be a thermister, in which case, no you can't change it.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 07:50 PM

My 2002 750 fans would come on at 204 degree's. That sensor has since gone bad and has been replaced. However the new sensor that has been installed kicks the fans on at 218 degree's. It seems that their are some differences in how they are made. My bike now over heats where as before, it never got over 220. I currently has two temp senors on order to see if I can get lucky to have one turn the fans on sooner.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
lee

I don't want to change the temp sensor. I want to reprogram the portion of the ECU that operates the fans so as to shift the on/off temp range lower in order to start the fans sooner and perhaps get a jump on the temp increase fans. Someone on here has got to be familiar enough with the ECU to know if you can change the parameters on individual circuts or not. Show yourself and give your wisdom.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 03:21 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Sorry to hijack your thread, but the pics of the "beast" are amazing! You built that? You need to post those up here!

CAG
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
lee

Cag,

Yes, I did. With a few exceptions everything you see was either modified or made from scratch. Some by machine, some by hand.

I'm not sure the interest is there to post it and to do so smacks of horn blowing. But I'm very pleased that you like it, given the work you do.

Lee

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 06:17 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
I don't know about that. This is a pretty open minded bunch. Also, our brothers (and sisters) here do appreciate quality no matter what form.

How about it? You guys want to see pics of a bike Lee about hand built? No b.s., this is no hack job.

CAG
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
lee

Oh for God's sake. You post them.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 03:11 AM

Thumbs up

... c'mon guys post the pics up ...

Thread officially highjacked!

07 F41000R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

09 Blazing orange Speedtriple
07 CBR 600RR trackbike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode