January '08 PB 312 VS 1098 Review - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

January '08 PB 312 VS 1098 Review

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but the January issue of the UK magazine "Performance Bike" did an interesting test of the Duc 1098 and the MV F4 312 at the famous Nurburgring. The write up is funny and informative.
The results were 312 7:21.8
1098 7:34.2
The 312 was 13 seconds faster than the 1098. In fact the 312 is currently the fastest bike they ever tested at the Ring. Second fastest is an R1 which is 7 seconds slower.
They actually liked riding the 1098 better than the MV. There complaints about both bikes are subjective. For instance they hated the riding position of the MV and liked the 1098 much better. I owned a 1098 and for me the MV is much more comfortable. They must be taller than 5'8".
What was funny and what I felt the first time I rode the 312 and 1000R is what they said about the MV "It's like a race bike straight out of the box".
That's what I immediately loved about the MV and why I bought a 1000R.
They also said the MV was the 1st bike they tested that when at full lean didn't scrap something on the bike.
To much to scan in. Take a read at your local B&N or magazine stand. Interesting article.

Ara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to alvin
I'll check it out! Thanks!
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 10:50 PM

was it an uncorked 1098???
Because we are pretty hot out of the box, but Duc makes you pay for where we start

Italian outfit, Rubber, heat, grunting, and you fill the open hole for more?? What's not to love??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Base 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeMV View Post
was it an uncorked 1098???
Because we are pretty hot out of the box, but Duc makes you pay for where we start
No. It was a stock Base model.
Also read to the end of the article where the good stuff is.

Ara

Last edited by Ara7; 01-13-2008 at 12:33 AM.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 03:07 AM
Established Member

Am normally not a reader of PB-magazine, but will definitely get a copy of this issue. First thing tomorrow morning, 'cos we have no newsstands open today...
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 03:18 AM

that's a nice big difference in lap time

goes to show...no point being comfy on the track if you're going slower

I'll go grab a copy...thanks Ara

SENNA 070/300
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 03:53 AM

You need to take off the rose tinted glasses when you read the PB article, yes the bike was the fastest the have ever tested, also the most stable through most sections, BUT the testers didn't just dislike the 312 they HATED it with a passion, I'll just list some of the comments:

'For the rcord this bike is complete and utter rubbish'

'After a day riding it aroung the Eifel i'm inclined to agree' (with the first statement)

'We should have turned it over to the Gestapo'

'The position (riding) is probably something you get used to, but the dicky throttle response isn't, it's unforginely inaccurate at any thing below 95% effort'

'It overheated the moment it dropped below 40 mph'

'Personaly I ride a bike to de stress, But the MV takes me back to the bad old days of poor machine control and teenage frustration'

'Thats just terrible, No word of a lie, i'd rather be riding my 2001 ZX-6R'

'You have to ride it like you don't care about tomorrow'

There's more.......... none of it really any better

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 05:22 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ddnuts
Wow! That's a far cry from the 1st post.

Personality is what you show of yourself daily.

Character is what comes out under adversity. (Think about that)
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnuts View Post
Wow! That's a far cry from the 1st post.
Yep, that's one of the problems with MV, we accept a lot of stuff that R1 or GSXR etc etc owners would find totally unacceptable, sometimes you need to take the rose coloured specs off

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef4uk View Post
You need to take off the rose tinted glasses when you read the PB article, yes the bike was the fastest the have ever tested, also the most stable through most sections, BUT the testers didn't just dislike the 312 they HATED it with a passion, I'll just list some of the comments:

'For the rcord this bike is complete and utter rubbish'

'After a day riding it aroung the Eifel i'm inclined to agree' (with the first statement)

'We should have turned it over to the Gestapo'

'The position (riding) is probably something you get used to, but the dicky throttle response isn't, it's unforginely inaccurate at any thing below 95% effort'

'It overheated the moment it dropped below 40 mph'

'Personaly I ride a bike to de stress, But the MV takes me back to the bad old days of poor machine control and teenage frustration'

'Thats just terrible, No word of a lie, i'd rather be riding my 2001 ZX-6R'

'You have to ride it like you don't care about tomorrow'

There's more.......... none of it really any better

Still........ it did better than the praised 1098 and they just had to swallow it

You know what? Those journalists (and that "baron" ) are pussies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode