HELP!! - siezed screw - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

HELP!! - siezed screw

S**t!!

It's been like this for some time now.
I have a seized screw on the ride height adjuster that i just can't make it to move.
I guess it must have been the heat or something because i have never passed the torque mark, but what i know is that (after unsing the correct tool to remove it since the beginig, letting it soak in wd40 for a day, using the all kinds of things to take it off since the correct tool now passes itself, etc...) the little bastard is unmovable

What should i do now?
Any suggestions?

Last edited by MV-999R; 01-09-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:26 AM

New Site Garage
Not sure if it is possible but heat could do the thing. Had a bolt on the hub on the car which would not come off. At the shop they had to heat it up to get it off.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Ball & Chain magnet

Send a message via Yahoo to Djester
I would use a hammer and a screwdriver and center the screwdriver up on the head of the bolt...and with light taps try to un-jolt it or...
light taps with a rubber mallet if there's room to allow..... or use a heat gun to warm it up, not to hot, maybe that'll work.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:43 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
That's a socket head cap screw correct? Find a junk allen wrench that was the correct size and lightly tig it to the bolt. Then just twist it out. You may want to soak it in Kroil first.

CAG
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1andrew View Post
Not sure if it is possible but heat could do the thing. Had a bolt on the hub on the car which would not come off. At the shop they had to heat it up to get it off.
Thanks i'll try the heat thing next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djester View Post
I would use a hammer and a screwdriver and center the screwdriver up on the head of the bolt...and with light taps try to un-jolt it or...
light taps with a rubber mallet if there's room to allow..... or use a heat gun to warm it up, not to hot, maybe that'll work.
Thanks.
Been there done that, except for the heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
That's a socket head cap screw correct? Find a junk allen wrench that was the correct size and lightly tig it to the bolt. Then just twist it out. You may want to soak it in Kroil first.

CAG
If i understood it correctly (my english sucks) that's also a good next option, thanks.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:55 AM

A little heat from a propane plumber's torch to the aluminum adjuster would probably work, but if the adjuster is anodized it will probably mess that up. If the Hex head is intact I would just get a longer lever. I prefer the hex sockets as opposed to the wrenches since it is easier to put a breaker bar on a socket than it is to extend the allen wrench. But you can use a box end wrench for more leverage. If the cap is no longer hex, but rounded invest in a good screw extractor kit to remove it.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobP View Post
A little heat from a propane plumber's torch to the aluminum adjuster would probably work, but if the adjuster is anodized it will probably mess that up. If the Hex head is intact I would just get a longer lever. I prefer the hex sockets as opposed to the wrenches since it is easier to put a breaker bar on a socket than it is to extend the allen wrench. But you can use a box end wrench for more leverage. If the cap is no longer hex, but rounded invest in a good screw extractor kit to remove it.
Thanks Rob.

But it's not an hex head screw. It's an allen key headed screw, but the head is literally screwed by now
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Ball & Chain magnet

Send a message via Yahoo to Djester
reversed thread screw/bolt extractor ? Kinda like a reversed threaded drill bit.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 12:39 PM

I thought I am the only one expert in destroying bolts, but I see this talent is gifted to others too.

So, you should try with the next larger size of a hex head, by hitting it with a hummer. If it doesn’t work, than your drilling machine is the doctor.

Ps It has happened to me so many times, that now I am paying a technician to do, even, simple works, but they cost me much less as I was doing them by myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djester View Post
reversed thread screw/bolt extractor ? Kinda like a reversed threaded drill bit.
Hmmm.... sounds good as long as it doesn't messes up the ajuster thread.
But what exactly is that tool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvass View Post
I thought I am the only one expert in destroying bolts, but I see this talent is gifted to others too.

So, you should try with the next larger size of a hex head, by hitting it with a hummer. If it doesn’t work, than your drilling machine is the doctor.

Ps It has happened to me so many times, that now I am paying a technician to do, even, simple works, but they cost me much less as I was doing them by myself.

I guess we're part of a handful of choosen ones

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode