Extreme tank heat - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Extreme tank heat

Hey out there
Not sure if this has come up before but I have a real issue with heat coming up through the tank on a long ride of my 2000 F4S.I live in the NT of AUS and its about 33 degrees c most days.Went for about a 2 hour ride and by the time I got home I couldn't put the inside of my thighs against the tank and they were red and burning by the time I got home,The bike wasn't running hot and no other issues showed themselves,I have experienced this before and am wondering If I am missing some heat shielding somewhere or is it a case of harden up and get off the seat which wouldn't be a problem if we had a few more corners.The tank feels like its close to boiling and is a bit of a worry.

jez
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 07:21 PM

Interesting one this one, even more so as I also have the 2000 F4S.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Hey Mate
Are you or have you had the same issues or is it too cold over there ?
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 08:36 PM

New Site Garage
Jezza, there's no heat shield protection under the tank, things get pretty hot under there and you'd probably not want to wear shorts on a long ride. You can take the tank of and apply some gold or silver heat shield to help keep the temps down.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Donsy
I was doin a bit of low speed riding trying to get out of the city but once its hot it stays hot,
jez
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza 5 View Post
Hey Mate
Are you or have you had the same issues or is it too cold over there ?
The hottest day I have ridden in the UK was at 29C. Never had a hot tank before, not even when she went over a 100C in the city before the manual fan switch was fitted.
When your inside thighs got red and sore were you wearing full leathers or shorts? I have never ridden without wearing full kit. But if my tank was as hot as you say, then I would still have felt it through my leathers, even if it was just the discomfort. You hav'n't been using some odd fuel? The fuel I use has no ethanol in it. Silly question probably(so don't take the piss please), but do you have any fuel leaks? Could any fuel from a leak cause any heating of the tank through the fuel landing on any hot components? I would presume you would smell it if you did? I am also presuming it is possible to have a leak without it causing a fire?

Last edited by MVBERT; 04-15-2015 at 02:03 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 02:47 PM
Al-

I've experienced localized fuel boiling inside my tank after I'd finished riding on a very hot day, but only once. The tank itself wasn't hot enough to feel through my jeans, and I run tank pads on the sides.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 06:01 PM
Big Randaddy

You F4 riders need to wear long pants. .

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Hey Team
No leathers ,never ever ever ever shorts and always Kevlar jeans,no fuel leaks or special fuel ,from the sounds of it I am dealing with good old territory heat,will take your advice Donsy and see if I can get some heat shielding from supercheap or repco for the underside of the tank.

Jez.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 07:56 AM

I experience about the same every summer in Florida. Get caught at a few stop lights and fuel is boiling when I get home. The only solution I've found is to get out early and try to make it back home before it gets too hot outside.

Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode