Picked up a project 2002 F4 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Picked up a project 2002 F4

Over the weekend I picked up a non-running F4. The previous owner was driving on the highway when he heard a "whirring" noise and the motor died. He had it towed to a shop, which pulled the airbox off and saw two bent valves. Not knowing what else might be wrong, they quoted the PO $3-8k for repair. I've seen this failure before, and because valves are so thin and weak it's unusual for damage to be too widespread.

I bought it for $1800. The reason for the low price is that it's not an exceptionally clean bike.
The Bad
-Carbon Fiber aftermarket fairings. It came with a full set of CF fairings but no OEM fairings. The condition of them is fairly nice, maybe 7/10. It's missing the small trim pieces that go underneath the tank.
-Has stock Arrow exhaust, but baffles are removed. So it's going to be loud as heck.
-Rear fender is gone and replaced with some crummy folded aluminum to serve as a fender eliminator. One rear turn signal is missing. That whole section needs to be redone, either with an aftermarket fender eliminator kit or with used OEM parts.
-Aftermarket brake/clutch levers and aftermarket rearset
-The aluminum engine covers are somewhat tarnished from previously living outside at one point. I'm researching methods to bring back the shine on these parts. Suggestions welcome!

The Good
It was $1800, and repair parts have been ordered already totaling $263.

The teardown went smoothly and was finished after about a full day of work. I separated the frame into two pieces as previous forum members have done, which worked well. I took lots of photos to document the process and help me remember how it went back together! The only problem I ran into was removing one tight cam keeper bolt, which required propane torch heating, a Snap-On hex bit, and hammering. In the end, the problem turned out to be 2 sheared screws holding the intake camshaft sprocket onto the camshaft. I've seen threads about this happening to other owners, too.
Attached Images

Last edited by AndrewB; 05-10-2015 at 06:00 PM. Reason: I forgot to explain what the problem turned out to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 10:03 AM

I must say you're the first person I ever heard complain of aftermarket rearsets and those look like sato sets which are pretty pricey I know cuz I have them on my bike ...half of the bad things you listed are actually good things in my book I mean a loud exhaust to most is a plus and so are aftermarket levers but the topper is complaining about carbon fairings Those aren't cheap neither especially if you give them a 7/10 if you don't like em you can sell em and get the fairings you want you got a bargain and good luck with the build and welcome to the forum
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 12:09 PM

Exactly my first observation is the complain about goodies which are top dollars.
I see even a CF air box.
In case You don't want the CF fairings send me a PM.
Rear sets we can talk about than either as the after market levers.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys, I'm thrilled to hear that these aftermarket upgrades are desireable! For whatever reason I expected bikes modified away from stock to be significantly less valuable.

Cosmetically, I'll probably keep the bike as-is. Reinstall the carbon fiber fairings because they look pretty decent.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 09:05 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Damn, son. That airbox is worth more than what you paid for the bike.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Tonight's progress included successfully removing the sheared cam sprocket screws and removing intake valves.

I used a 6" hex extension and a 3/32" hex drill bit to pre-drill the center of the first screw. Then I hammered an easy-out into the screw and backed it out. The second screw turned by itself when I started to drill it out.

I used a C-clamp with a small custom end-effector to remove the valve keepers from the valve stems. I removed all 8 intake valves and found that 4 were bent in all. Luckily I bought an 8-piece set of eBay. The seals also seems worn out so I will need to replace those too.

Overall the head looks undamaged. The combustion chambers are covered in a thin layer of grime which will all be cleaned up manually before it goes back on. I have a lot of scrubbing to do!
Attached Images

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Tonight's work was primarily cleaning. After removing all the exhaust valves, I thoroughly scrubbed the entire cylinder head, pistons, and cylinder sealing surface. Wow, the pistons really cleaned up nice!! Their CNC'd surface shines as bright as the day it rolled off the assembly line. Cylinder walls look healthy too. No obvious scoring and cross-hatching is visible on every bore. I coated the walls with a thin layer of oil to help keep the pistons lubricated through any manual cranking.

I also re-lapped the exhaust valve seats with lapping compound. I'm waiting to lap the intake valves because the replacements haven't arrived yet.

Finally I removed the valve seals using needle-nose Vise Grips. (sorry, no photo)
Attached Images

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 03:19 AM

Have a look at this thread. MihaSlo did this Cam sprocket work too.

joe

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53333
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 06:22 AM

New Site Garage
Very nice account of the strip down, keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing the finished bike, good luck

MV F4 750 EVO3 2003
MV Brutale 910s 2007
Honda VFR800 1998
Honda MBX 125 FE 1983
F4 Agusta mini moto replica
Chinese Quadbike made of peanut butter (crunchy).
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 06:36 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Sounds like you'll have that beast up and running in no time.
You have probably made the steal of the century with the price for that bike.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode