1000R vs 312R - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

1000R vs 312R

Today was one of those rare days for me, where I had all day long to do absolutely nothing, but enjoy my bike(s).

I thought it would be a great opportunity to put some miles on my 2-week old 1000R and just have fun, the weather was good somewhere in the 60's I think.

Rode the 1000R for 2 hours and thought I'd stop by the local dealership to hang out with the crew and some customer friends who I occasionally run into, and maybe even make some new friends.

There was a guy there who I met was agonizing over whether he would get the 312 or the 1000R. He asked me about my experience, and I shared what little I have on it (2 weeks). He asked me what the difference was between the two, I said "well, let me find out exactly."

I went inside and asked for the keys to the 312 they had, and I drove off for the better part of 30 min.

Here are some impressions I shared with him:

1) As far as speed goes, they are both terrifyingly fast ok

2) 312 runs just as hot as the 1000R. Later in the afternoon when I got home, I switched bikes and took my Duc out to use the opportunity to observe its temps. Conclusion: While in motion, the 1000R runs up to 21F (~10C) hotter than my Duc under the same conditions. The 312 should be about the same as the R.

3) 312 throttle is twitchier than the 1000r in any rev.

4) They say the 312 has only 7 or so more hp than the 1000R, but I did feel that extra power (maybe my imagination?) on the 312. Maybe it was the fueling?

5) The 312's fueling is sheer heaven, in comparison to the 1000R. I felt a bit disappointed when i got back on my R after having ridden the 312. The fueling of the 312 is so much more smooth and progressive. It does not have the midrange NITROUS that the R possesses, but deep into the rev range, it's just pure power there. Just sheer, violent and terrorizing power when you're deep in the rev range.

6) The 1000R does possess that same butt-puckering power, however, it is just not as well distributed as the 312. The distribution of power on the 1000R is like a roller coaster.

7) If what our other members have attested about the Race ECU is correct, then it is a necessary upgrade. Because the 1000R in stock form just sucks in comparison to the 312.

8) On both bikes, another necessary upgrade would probably be the mid-pipe and muzzy fans to help cool the temps a little.

I mentioned it to that guy who was choosing between the two. Due to the price differences, he eventually went with R and on the same visit ordered the triple combo: Race ECU, MidPipe and RG3 slipons ... I guess that's how you turn a 1000R into a 312 ... except that you (1) spend less, (2) got mid-range punch, (3) got RG3 sound and (4) your bike will run a little cooler... the only thing is though, that you don't get the 312 badge, which does have a very special value

My conclusion: You win either way. The 1000R just needs to get the fueling fixed... absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt.

Last edited by Sig.Scuro; 12-30-2007 at 03:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 03:18 AM
Banned

nice post and nice having the oportunity to hop from one to the other,

good fair comments
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 03:31 AM

I think you are pretty much spot on there, I could not live with my 1000R on the std ecu, I found the more times I rode it the more I noticed it and the more pissed off I got!
The 'race' 'RG3' or whatever you want to call it ecu sorts it, I have no fuelling complaints at all now

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks F41NXS and Mike.

Mike -- besides fixing the 5k rpm surge, what other benefits do the race ECU have, what other changes can we expect (positive or negative)?
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig.Scuro
Thanks F41NXS and Mike.

Mike -- besides fixing the 5k rpm surge, what other benefits do the race ECU have, what other changes can we expect (positive or negative)?
I don't think there are any negatives, except maybe one negative would be if you also fit the Rg3 and mid pipe you can get a surging idle after a set up if the weather turns cold, almost as if the ecu does not have correct ambient air temp compensation, maybe airfuel has noticed this on his dyno?
It's not a major problem, more an annoyance, theres no stalling just a handfull of 1200-1600rpm hunts before it settles down.

If you buy the RG3 ecu you will need to get it set up, normally straight out of the box the co and idle are incorrect due to the ecu is not 'calibrated' with your bikes TPS.

I also still think it would probably benefit from a power commander as well, again maybe airfuel has had one on his dyno? it probably still has the rich top end that all MV's appear to have, but having said that the bike feels like it fuels very well, certainly made me happy

(I went the power commander route before the RG3 ecu, the PC helps slightly with the feel and 5K surge but I beleive the std ecu has timing alterations for euro 3 stuff which are still very evident, I still have the PC fitted but with a zero map, I need to get down the dyno and see what's what once the weather and salt on the roads dissapear)

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Mike. I plan to have the shop do the ECU install, would cost me somewhere between US$900 and $1k. I'd rather have them do it as I will fudge it for sure.

I thought about just doing PC3 with a custom map, which would cost me only half, but as I understand it, this does not cure the 5k rpm surge... this would thus defeat the whole purpose. Did you have the map customized?
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 04:54 AM

Mike, that hunting you describe is what I heard in Broms bike on one of our rides.
I thought it sounded awesome, like a Lambo at idle.

It would be interesting to see if the TPS has been altered.

07 F41000R

09 Blazing orange Speedtriple
07 CBR 600RR trackbike

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 06:48 AM

Interesting! Now I guess the real question is are you still happy with the 1000R?

I believe she is the Devil in a candy wrapper.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 06:53 AM

Talking

... oh, did you mean me Dov? ... . "R" = !!!

07 F41000R

09 Blazing orange Speedtriple
07 CBR 600RR trackbike

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 06:54 AM

I agree with all Mike has said, I have no fueling issues after having the Race ECU fitted. All is smooth and progressive.

As for the idle surge...I love that too especially with the RG3s.. as Oz says...sounds awesome.

SENNA 070/300

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode