The Fall - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
The Fall

Well, it happened. The first time in 40 years of riding on the street. I fell off my beautiful 312. As everyone always says, it happened so fast.... you know the rest.
It had been raining for 5 days and the sun finally came out. I followed a neighbor out of our gated community as she yacked on her cell phone. We got to the intersection that was only 300 yards from my house. I was behind her at a red light and she just sat there talking on the phone. There was no traffic and it was a right turn onto a 4 lane street. After the light turned green, she still sat there talking. I pulled around her to turn to the right, which was a legal lane to turn right in. The street was dry and the sun was very bright. I was turning into the sun. As I made the turn, the rear tire shot out from under me. I naturally tried to correct, but the bike suddenly stood up and launched me over the bars. As I laid face down on the pavement, I tried to move, but my left leg was not wanting to go along. The nieghbor lady stopped to help as did many other nieghbors. (Of my nieghbors that stopped, one is the Chief of Police and another is a U.S. Congressman. I do thank them for helping, but now everyone knows I'm a Squid.) The lady on the phone kept my helmet and jacket while I took a ride in the meat wagon. She brought them by the house last night and told me what really happened. It seems as went across the painted crosswalk (did I mention I have taken this turn a thousand times much faster then this day) my rear tire lost traction and then hit the unpainted pavement. Which is when I went flying. Even though the pavement "looked" dry, the painted part was damp because it was cold out.
My Father in Law worked for the state highway department for 39 years, said the problem was also made worse by the fact that the state puts grit in their paint, but the county does not. They save money that way. Obviously, I hit a county maintained crosswalk.
There must be a leason in this story, and there is. I never should have pulled out to pass the lady that was sitting at a green light. She could have just as easiely turned into the lane I was turning in. We all see people that turn onto a four lane road and go right into the fast lane where I was. Instead of a broken leg, I could have been hit by a car. The fall on the damp crosswalk was one of those things that happens no matter how careful you are. I was stupid to pull out and around her.
I hope someone else can learn something from my misfortune. And now, it's off to the MV parts department.

Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever.

MV Agusta 312 Corse / Ducati MH900e "Carbon Dream" / NCR "New Blue" / Vyrus 984 / 1963 MV Agusta 175
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 09:07 PM

Sorry to hear about your fall, Tuna. Thanks for another reminder to watch out for the things we take for granted or sometimes forget. Hope you mend quickly.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 09:17 PM

Tuna, sorry to hear about your accident but glad to hear you are alright. If I can help in anyway let me know.

Where are you in Sac?
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 09:22 PM

Sorry to hear about Your misfortune. I hope You are okay !? I don't wonna know how Your pretty Bike is looking like. But this can be repaired. And thanks for reminding us at paint and bitumous street art.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 09:23 PM

Get well soon. Good thoughts on prevention too. So easy to be impatient. Glad you are ok

08 BMW HP2 Sport
10 MV 1090RR
86 BMW R80 G/S
47 Indian Chief
73 Norton Commando Cafe Racer
70 BMW R50/5
70 Triumph T100C
68 BMW R60/2
80 Vespa PX 125
Derringer Indian Board Track Replica
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 09:54 PM

Glad it's not worse--Sounds like you and the bike will mend soon.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 10:01 PM

Damn sorry to hear that my friend, and after 40 years too. I guess its hard to keep up with the numbers, but in this case, I hope this fall buys you another 40 years of safe and smart riding. Get well soon!

PS - that gorgeous 312 has now definitely become a "special bike" to you! ... a bike to call "your own" as you both lost your virginity together

Last edited by Sig.Scuro; 12-27-2007 at 10:08 PM.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 10:39 PM

Ouch a broken leg from a slow highside...that is unlucky, though that really was some squid like work there ,

See if you hadn't fixed the overheating issue you could have said it was cooking and just couldn't wait and really had to get moving as anyone that has suffered with the high temps knows it can cause temporary lack of judgement and is an acceptable excuse for a squid like error...yours um j/k...I kid because I care, glad to hear that it was not worse.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 10:40 PM

So what was wrong with the leg?

Sorry to hear about the damage to the 312

I believe she is the Devil in a candy wrapper.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 10:43 PM

Man, oh man!!!!

Glad to hear it wasn't worse, Tuna! That really SUCKS! Hope you're quick on the mend! Really gives pause for the ordinary out to get you.

Respect!
Jason

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode