Water Pump Impeller - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
lee

Water Pump Impeller

For those of you who missed out on Alessandro's impeller mod and still want one I note that Emotouk is offering an impellor which they claim reduces temp by 8-10 degrees C. It lists for 150 Quid.

I would be very curious to hear what the results are from anyone who has installed Alessandro's impellor.

I got mine. Boy do I ever got mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 09:50 AM

I hope that detailed instructions will folow as well. From what I understand, this is not an easy fix.

2007 MV Agusta Corse 007/USA
2002 Yamaha R6 (Track Bike)
1997 Kawasaki ZX7R
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
lee

Really? They claim it's simple, and I figured you just pop off the cover, unscrew the impeller, screw on the new one and replace the cover. I'll have to read my shop manual first for a change.

Any of you Alessandro guys care to comment?

I got mine. Boy do I ever got mine.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toves33
I hope that detailed instructions will folow as well. From what I understand, this is not an easy fix.
It's pretty straight forward actually.
I never done it but saw it being done and looked easy.
Just remember to take off the water cooler and the oil (or part of it, but in this case have the bike inclined to the right while you take off the water pump)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 10:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ragatzi
Check ouytthis link, it tells you is pretty easy to replace it.

http://www.emotouk.com/mvagusta/impeller.htm
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 07:28 AM
Established Member

I've just changed the mechanical seal in my waterpump, it's quite straight forward. You will need to drain the coolant first from the drain on the pump. I had to remove the pump completely and extract the shaft to do my job, not sure if you can spin off the impeller without removing the pump from the bike, I think you may be able to do that, perhaps someone who has done the mod could say if that's possible or not. If it's possible you wont need to drain any oil, in fact only a small amount came out when I removed the pump completely, keeping the bike leant over as MV-999R suggests will minimise the loss.

You don't need to remove the hoses from th pump.

Gazz

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 12:48 AM

I just replaced my impeller, it was pretty easy. You will have to drain the coolant first. Then you simply remove the 2 bolts holding the water pump assembly to the engine, and the pump can be pulled out, pulling directly toward you. No need to tilt the bike. Once the assembly is out of the bike (hoses still atached), there are 2 bolts that are located on the the pump cover from the engine side-- remove those, and the assembly splits apart. The half with the hoses attached to it stays with the bike, the other half that contains the impeller and shaft is now free to remove from the bike.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 09:31 PM

I clamped it against 2 piece of wood and unscrewed it off with a strap wrench.

Yeah locktite

Last edited by insider; 03-10-2008 at 11:34 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Stuck shaft

Just a word of warning not to do what I just did. I have a emoto impeller and set about putting it on. I got the water pump off with no problem. I went to press the shaft with the impeller out of the water pump so I could clamp it tightly like the photo shows. The impeller is thread locked onto the shaft, as it should be. While pressing the shaft out of the pump, I bent the pump housing. The shaft is really stuck in the bearing. I was affraid to clamp very hard on the end of the shaft for fear of bending it. It looks like I'll be buying a new water pump. It would have been nice if emoto gave better instructions. I think that some shafts will press out easier then others. How lucky do you feel?
Tuna

Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever.

MV Agusta 312 Corse / Ducati MH900e "Carbon Dream" / NCR "New Blue" / Vyrus 984 / 1963 MV Agusta 175
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 11:49 PM

There are two designs to the water pump shaft. The old design (what I shown above) is smooth and you can just push it out with your hand. The new design has a divider that separates the two bearings and are pressed in. (On the fiche part # 7)

You don't have to pull the shaft to unscrew the impeller... You can clamp the housing lightly and jam the shaft in place. (Used a small 7mm wrench)

If you pressed the shaft out on the new design, you should also replace the seals and bearings. (you can source the bearings from your local bearing shop at half the price from the dealer. Single Row Bearing #6001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode