f4 clip-on rise help - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

f4 clip-on rise help

Hi guys.

First of all, sorry for the long post.

I have a problem and am in desperate need of your help.

I have a slight medical condition in my hip, and while I carry on with my life normally without any problems, if I ride my 312 for more than 20/25 minutes it starts to hurt. Bad.

To the point that I have to stop.

I have never felt this on any other bike, including a 2006 R6, which is far from being a sports tourer.

This is due to the riding position, that puts the legs/torso at a rather steep angle, stressing the hip joints.

I tried fiddling with the footrest position, and while it improved the issue, the improvement was only slight.

So while I love the bike, this issue makes me sad and sometimes I just don't feel like riding at all.
I have even thought about selling it (I know, I know, the blasphemy!!!).

However, I noticed in the FAQ section that it's possible to raise the clip-ons for no cost, and I believe this would alleviates my problem, since the aforementioned hip/torso angle would become less steep.

I am very confident that this would make it better, since I have never felt this before on any other bike, including sports bikes.

The problem is that, while I am rather comfortable with the english language, I am having a hard time translating that article to portuguese, for the dealer's mechanic.

The problem are some "technical" words, that I am having a hard time finding what they mean, making it hard to understand some paragraphs.

I tried online dictionaries and translators, but they provided little help.

MV Agusta FAQ: clip-on-risers-for-no-cost-f4 paragraphs :

1- No problem here...

2- same here

3- likewise

4- what is the "banjo bolt"?

5- Here is where I start to get lost.
"remove the two handlebar pinch bolts (5mm) that go through the bar clamp." What are the handlebar, the pinch bolts and the bar clamp?

6- "Remove the master cylinder clamp bolt (5mm)". Again, what is a clamp bolt?
"Open clamp" what is this clamp?

7- "Take a wood doweland" ??
"a rubber mallet" This is a hammer with rubber instead of metal, right?

8- "locater pin" ??
"Letthe clamp lower out of the locater hole" Don't get this one too.

9- "upper triple tree" ??
"This pin is retained by a clevis" ??
"slowly push the clevis out of the groove in the pin" ??

10- "You will now see that the hinged assembly is upside down" ??

11- no probs here

12- "File this pin flush with the arc of the housing" ?? I don't get this.

13- "the handlebar has a concave locating groove for thelonger of the two bolts that go in this clamp" What is this groove?

14 to 19- I shouldn't have much of a problem with these last paragraphs.

As you can see, I need a lot of help...

If someone could be so kind as to help me, possibly with pics (that would be just wonderful!!!), I would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the trouble.

Luis Fraga

Last edited by Fraga; 12-13-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 04:22 PM

A couple of other suggestions which may help:

You can buy a set of 'zero' degrees bars from www.performanceparts.de

On the seat you may find that you are only sitting on the tops of your legs and not on your bum (I was) the cure for this is to remove the seat cover (staples) remove the std padding, put some extra foam onto the seat base and taper it down towards the seat edges, refit the std foam on top of the extra foam and refit the cover, this lifts the centre of the seat up and takes the weight of your legs-worked well for me!

I'll also post a pic of the little plates Imade to lower the footrests, they also help the leg angle a lot
Attached Images

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 04:27 PM

Mike, any idea what the carbon is like from Performance parts?

'' Oggi Corriamo''
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicensleazy
Mike, any idea what the carbon is like from Performance parts?
He sells the lieb stuff, it's good quality

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Mike, thanks for the quick reply.
Browsing performancepart's webpage, I found out what some of those words meant!

Regarding the 'zero' degrees bars, I was looking at doing it for free...

You see, I'm building a house right now and I'm in a kind of a tight budget...
Also, the dealer is a very good friend of mine and will do thef4 clip-on rise for free.

And the thing you did to the seat, that's a great idea. But I already am on the tip of my toes when aboard the F4, so it would probably make it worse.

I will also try to get another friend to do me plates for the footrests, just like you did.

Thanks for the help!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraga

And the thing you did to the seat, that's a great idea. But I already am on the tip of my toes when aboard the F4, so it would probably make it worse.

Thanks for the help!
No! that's the problem, the same as me, I too am on my toes when sat on the bike, try sitting on the bike and get someone preferably female! to slide their hand under your bum, I'll lay money you are only sitting on the top of your legs.
All the seat conversion will do is lift the centre of the seat up to meet your bum, I used to get leg muscle 'spasm' I suppose, since I have done my seat (about 4 years back) I have been fine

I tried turning the bars upside down, they were too high for me, and looked mmmmm silly?

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef4uk
No! that's the problem, the same as me, I too am on my toes when sat on the bike, try sitting on the bike and get someone preferably female! to slide their hand under your bum, I'll lay money you are only sitting on the top of your legs.
All the seat conversion will do is lift the centre of the seat up to meet your bum, I used to get leg muscle 'spasm' I suppose, since I have done my seat (about 4 years back) I have been fine
I see your point.
I might give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef4uk
I tried turning the bars upside down, they were too high for me, and looked mmmmm silly?
You are talking about the f4 clip-on rise, right?
The problem is that I have no idea how it will look, because I don't understand what exactly should one do (ence my post requesting help in better understanding the FAQ), so I can't really imagine what will be the outcome.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 01:37 AM
Established Member

Luis, the pain that you are experiencing, where is it exactly? Is it in your hips, or does it transfer into your spine? Irrespective, you might be well advised to ask someone who knows (pilates instructor or phisiotherapist) to show you how to sit in a "neutral" position. This means that you will actually be sitting further back in your seat, as apposed to sitting right up against the tank. When you sit up against the tank, your back tends to lean forward so your spine has a forward curve (in the shape of your tank that your stomach is hugging). This is really bad for the posture, so sitting further back (midway between the tank and the backrest) and have your back slightly arched. The lower back should not be totally arched so that it is in a "bow", but midway between totally arched and straight up. This is the neutral position and takes a lot of stress off the back and hips.
I have had a lot of pain in my back due to injuries to the spine, and I was loooking to raise my bars. It is a lot of work and no-one can categorically tell you that it does not chnage the dynamics of the bike. I was really hesitant to do this, so I asked my Pilates instructor to look at my riding position. She immediatedly identified the problem of my posture on the bike and told me that irrespective of whenther I had a back problem or not, I should try to chnage this position. Last Sunday, I went on a long ride (lots of twists and turns) and made a concious effort to take up a neutral position. After 4 hours on the bike, I had no pain. Amazing. I could not ride for more than half an hour without stopping in pain before I did this. Give it a try - who knows, it may help tons! Good luck, good riding, but DON'T SELL THE BIKE!!!!

Last edited by peterpolly; 12-15-2007 at 01:46 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks for the info, Peter.
The problem is definitely with my hips, since if I remain standing up for several hours my hip joint will start to hurt.
But I will give it a try in the near future. Can't do it right now since I'm waiting for my headers to be decatalyzed. It should take at least two weeks since I have to ship it to the mainland (I live on an Island).
Even if it doesn't do anything for my hip problem, good posture is always good for the back.

But I would really like some help translating that FAQ about raising the clip-ons.
I found out what the Handlebar clamps are.
Can anyone help with the rest please?
I would really appreciate it.
Thanks.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

BTW, I really can't figure out how it will look since I don't quite understand what needs to be done.

Are the handlebar clamps supposed to be mounted above the steering head plate?
If that is the case, then I would have to agree that it will look... silly...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode