Looking to buy a F4. What am I getting myself into? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Looking to buy a F4. What am I getting myself into?

Hello all. New here and eagrly wanting a F4. Been lusting over this bike since I started riding years ago. I am thinking about getting one as a graduation present to myself in 2 years (maybe sooner). I keep seeing certain things that are worring me about a F4 purchase. I see alot about fuel injectors, heating issues, wiring harness problem etc.

Can someone give me some insight as to what these problems are? Are they troublesome? What is the maintence like on these bikes? Just want some info. Thanks and glad to be here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 08:51 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Welcome aboard!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Established Member

just posted up the same questions a few days ago... take a look, some good info.

http://mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12971
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 01:53 AM
Banned

Welcome and dont be frightened off with the amount of whinging on here
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 06:02 AM
Established Member

I was in the same position a couple of months ago. Have always wanted to own one since the first day I saw one. All I can say is I was a bit worried after reading some stories on various sites but I took the plunge and so glad I did. Haven't been able to ride it much what with work and the weather but the times I have have been amazing, and even when I can't ride it I can still spend ages just staring at it in the garage. It's my first Italian bike and I can't think why I didn't convert earlier. They might not be the ultimate performer in certain areas but the total package is mind-blowing. I can't really comment on problems but the maintainance prices I've been quoted haven't been much worst than any other bike I've had.
Hope this is of some help to you and let us know what you decide.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 06:10 AM

Nothing wrong with the F4! Depending on your budget, you could pick up a nice 1000 S for a good price. Have a shop around.

Welcome to the forum!

'' Oggi Corriamo''
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Established Member

Hi

Problem is you buy one and you end up with more!!! - started with a 750 now have a 1000 as well. Bigger bike feels more modern somehow and the bigger engine is worth having! Whatever you buy - enjoy!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stegen
I see alot about fuel injectors, heating issues, wiring harness problem etc.

Can someone give me some insight as to what these problems are? Are they troublesome? What is the maintence like on these bikes? Just want some info.
- About the fuel injectors, there is an on/off type of feel with the throttle. I "heard" a Power Commander can help ease that and the 2007 312R fueling is much better than previous models. I think it's something you have to feel on a demo ride to decide if it bothers you (it doesn't bother me).

- As for the heat, most modern sport bikes run hot. My last two bikes (an '04 R1 and '05 999 also ran hotter than the MV). But there's a difference between running hot and overheating.

- I'm not sure about the wire harnest problem.

- The major service is every 7,500 miles which includes a valve inspection/adjustment and a minor service in between. There's a pdf of the manual in the "Articles" section (above).

Prices can really vary depending on your area and dealers. A major service in LA can run up to $1,000 while in Tucson, AZ, that same service may only be $450. So you may want to call around.

- With a new model each year since 2005, you can snag a used MV for a pretty good price and there some incentive on the 2007 models (3.75% financing and $3K off). Going back to the used models, I've seen some used 2006 F4S listing for $15K.

Hope that helps.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 12:34 PM

Imo the bike is great.For some reasons i have the Brut.(shortly... i have 998s so the f4 have to wait little while).I think every bike wich are tuned so close to racingbikes might have some small probs....probably some probs are self made...those issues that you are writing about is not a problem because you will found in everycase the answer in this forum....

Talking having real problems... .ever been married or dating an Italian woman.....
Then you can talk about real issues ... .
the sound....my Brute sounds like birdsong...
the mood can change from ice to hell in 30 secs... to or to ........normally your bike is giving some signal first...
the cost...your bike wants only time to time some carbon or rearsets.. ........not every day new shoes or.....other

.....go for it YOU will love it
.(meaning the the f 4)

Starfighter Titanium R
Ducati 998S

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 04:15 PM

My opinion is your getting yourself into the most beautiful, stylish bike you could ever own and that everyone will be jealous of. Who gives a stuff if it doesn't go as fast as jap bikes. You cant pose in a hedge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode