Manual Fan Switch - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
lee

Manual Fan Switch

I installed a manual fan switch which will run the fans anytime eng on or off. I've included some poor pictures (sorry but the site won't handle really good ones) of the fuse, relay, switch housing and switch installed. It's between the throttle clamp and switch housing. Works the nuts. Hit the switch and on they come. I'm posting it because people had mentioned they'd like a manual switch.
Attached Images

I got mine. Boy do I ever got mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 10:16 AM

Anychance you could expand on where you "wired" into?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 10:18 AM

New Site Garage
awesome! i knew it would work great!

congrats on the install! looks good!

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. - George S. Patton
2008 MV F4 312R -- Luna
2016 MV Turismo Veloce 800 -- Sol (SOLD)
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 10:35 AM

NICE! Its about time someone did this. It is hard to tell where you are wired into. Would it be possible to write out what exactly you did. Looks great and thanks for sharing.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 11:09 AM

Lee, see the little relay that you have tie wrapped your big one too? thats the original fan relay.............

Nice bike by the way, any pics you could post?

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
lee

I studied the wiring diagram for awhile and wanted to tie the new circut into the existing fan relay. Can't be done if you want to run the fans with the eng shut down. That ign switch appears to be a batt disconnect 'cause I couldn't find +12v anywhere when it was off. So I ran 14ga wire ( I'm going to add another fan and need the size in the feed from the batt) from the + post over to the right side and into a fuse holder (15amp) which you can see in the pic. From there it follows that anaconda of a wiring harness up to the stock fan relay. You can see it (blue wire) in the pic. It either goes under the rubber "clamps" or is tie wrapped to secure it. I got a relay (see pic where it's fastened to the stock one) and ran the blue into the hot feed post. I also added a jumper from it to one of the relay coil posts. Two yellow wires come off the hot out post and are spliced into the fan wires. The fans are wired backwards so they'll rotate in right direction so the hot wires from the relay go to the black gnd wires on the fans. No ground wires are needed from the fans as the existing ones (blue) take care of that. The switch is a mini spst from Radio Shack. You can use them as the relay coil draws very little current and being so small they're easier to mount and don't stand out like some big toggle would. One wire from the switch goes to the remaining post on the relay and the other is grounded to the screw that holds the front brake light switch to the lever clamp. I machined a little housing out of Alu and painted it satin black to match.

So when the switch is flipped it completes the relay coil circut to ground which actuates the relay and sends power to the fans which goes through the motors and to ground via the existing ground wires and on they come. When in traffic you can turn the fans on BEFORE the stock relay does and when you shut down you can run the fans without turning on the ign or running the engine. I do not think that it will make much diff in traffic with the current fan arrangement but when I get the third fan on there and seal the gaps between the fans and the rad, along with Muzzys on all three I expect to see the temp plummet when I hit that switch. F---- better after all this. Now all I've got to do is find a way to get the air out of the fairing. Right Mike? Actually I think there's enough open area that it won't be a problem.

Sorry this is so long. If you decide to do it and need help just holler.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 07:40 PM

Thanks, i'm going to leave mine std on the wiring, the only time I ever run the fans without the motor is either in traffic when I just hit the kill button (later bikes also kill the headlamp unless the motor is running, or at home after a ride whilst I take my lid and leathers off)

One thing you may want to look into is early euro bikes had a headlamp on/off switch on the LH switch gear where the blank is now fitted, I have never studied the wiring, but did think about using that switch for other purposes like a hidden power switch for a laser jammer

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 01:11 AM
Established Member

fan switch

I take it that this is to reduce the 105 degree heat that comes off and burns the hell out of your legs when you are stuck in traffic??
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
lee

Mike- Thanks for the tip on the switch blank. Maybe for future use?

Peter- The whole point of this project is to try to cool down the engine while in traffic and to bring down the coolant/engine temp after shutdown without having the ign on. I think it's a worthwhile effort but who knows? I may get all done and find it doesn't do squat. It's called "not having a life". You wanna' see some heat on your leg? Sit on a Duc 1098 with the full Termi exhaust in traffic. Now that's some serious heat.

Last edited by lee; 12-01-2007 at 07:47 AM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 08:18 AM

Nice idea.

Has anyone ever thought of painting their radiator(s) black? That should help them work more efficiently. I don't know what gains could be expected though.

Si

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode