Cooling fan mods - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
lee

Cooling fan mods

I am going to make some changes to the cooling fans on my Tambo. Although I am loathe to screw around with the bike due to it's value and lowering thereof by modifying things I think there is room for improvement. SO-

1- Install a manual fan switch in parallel with the temp sensor and fan relay hot lead. The hardest part of this is mounting a mini single pole toggle switch on the handlebar in a clean and unobtrusive manner. The wiring is a snap.

2- install a pair of Muzzy fan blades.

3- Make fan blade shrouds. Looking at the fans I notice that they are pretty inefficient in that the blades are too much out in the open and rather than pulling the majority of the air through the radiator they are loosing alot of cooling airflow around the open space surrounding the fans. By making a shroud or duct which fits very close to the radiator and the diameter of which is very close to the blades it should improve the amount of airflow through the radiator.

4- I notice that the upper fan does not cover the entire radiator but rather only the upper part. If it's possible and clearance is not an issue I will install another fan at the lower left of the radiator thereby covering the entire surface with cooling airflow. I haven't the slightest idea how but where there's a will there's a way. I also need to confirm that the extra current draw does not over load the charging system.

I would like your comments about all this. Frank and blunt please.I would also like to know how easy the Muzzy blades are to install and whether or not I can remove the fans without tearing the whole bike apart.

Thanks guys

I got mine. Boy do I ever got mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 07:21 AM

WOW lee that sounds great in theory, but have you tried getting your hands in between the rad and engine? Not a lot of room mate.

The lower fan is quite simple to install, the upper however needs the radiator loosened to remove a bolt.

So I installed the lower fan only, sad to say but there has been no difference in temp,but what do you expect really. On the plus side, you can turn your bike off with the knowledge that the fan will not melt.

The upper fan may have a positive affect, though this is not for me to comment on, yet.

Will be eagerly awaiting your results mate, hope all goes well for you.

Heres my install post, if it helps

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12821

07 F41000R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

09 Blazing orange Speedtriple
07 CBR 600RR trackbike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 08:50 AM

To install the Muzzys isn't difficult at all. Lower fan is self explanatory, upper fan requires the removal of the radiator hanger bolt located at the top of one side of the radiator. After removing this bolt, the radiator will slide off of its mounting post and allow you to flex the radiator as needed to access the upper fan bolts. No need to disconnenct any hoses.... they will flex with movement of the radiator.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 10:45 AM

New Site Garage
Why bother. I have over 5,000 miles on mine, traffic, city, backroads, and hard-ass beatings in the canyons...NEVER had a single cooling issue. Seems like alot of fudging for something that shouldn't be a problem.

If it ain't broke, go ride the bitch.

Good luck,

Griff
twoeleven
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoeleven
Why bother. I have over 5,000 miles on mine, traffic, city, backroads, and hard-ass beatings in the canyons...NEVER had a single cooling issue. Seems like alot of fudging for something that shouldn't be a problem.

If it ain't broke, go ride the bitch.

Good luck,

Griff
twoeleven
I would agree with that, only 1000R and 312R owners appear to be the chosen one's were overheating/or getting too hot is concerned.

I stll reckon the only surefire overheating cure is to cut some holes in the fairing to let the heat out, everything out there seems to help a litttle and thats it, mine runs spot on at the right temps/fans cutting in and out etc etc, but only with the fairings removed

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
lee

I bother because I think I can make a positive change. I also like to mess around. Either it will help or it won't. Either way I've had some fun and learned a little more about the bike. Better than getting a girlfriend.

I don't agree with the cut holes in the fairings idea. Were it air cooled I'd be the first to get out the sawsall. I think increasing the airflow around the engine would help somewhat but It ain't gonna' do squat when you're in traffic except radiate heat. Someone with a Senna posted a bit about FBF sticking a geared up water pump in his bike, and I think that's the real answer as long as it doesn't cavitate at high rpm. I dunno. I'm having fun.

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee

I don't agree with the cut holes in the fairings idea. Were it air cooled I'd be the first to get out the sawsall. I think increasing the airflow around the engine would help somewhat but It ain't gonna' do squat when you're in traffic except radiate heat. .
You missed the point, you can try and blow/suck as much air through the rad as you want with as many fans as you want, but it aint going to make a lot of differnce if the air has no way to escape from the enclosure of the fairing.
I can let my bike get up to about 106c and it will sit there for ever, if I then remove the fairings the temp goes straight back to 90ish and the fans turn off

I am not about to cut any holes in my fairings either, but I still reckon its the only solution that will make the difference us 1000R and 312R owners we need

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
lee

I didn't miss the point. I just didn't think it be that effective on a liquid cooled engine. Your test proves me wrong, and I'm glad you told me. One less wrong idea coming out of my yap. But for better or worse I'm stuck with the fairings as is.

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Ball & Chain magnet

Send a message via Yahoo to Djester
the aluminum fans help a bit.... no need for another one in the mix though.....
options.....
1. bigger radiator
2. better flow from the water pump/ system
3. cut holes into the fairings
4. only ride in freezing temps

the engine ice, and other water coolers really don't help much, I've tried most of the major brands with no decrease in temps...have one last option, called Cool-it. It is a kit....which includes a bottle of systems cleaner whic is supposed to remove contaminates, and condition the internals. The other bottle is a *water wetter* type liquid which is also a PH balance tool also as it is a pinkish color..... when the PH is out of balance, the coolant will be clearish-looking.....to fix the PH balance, just add some more pink-ish fluid.... I will post results as soon as I have done the change over (3-4 days)
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djester
the aluminum fans help a bit.... no need for another one in the mix though.....
options.....
1. bigger radiator
2. better flow from the water pump/ system
3. cut holes into the fairings
4. only ride in freezing temps

the engine ice, and other water coolers really don't help much, I've tried most of the major brands with no decrease in temps...have one last option, called Cool-it. It is a kit....which includes a bottle of systems cleaner whic is supposed to remove contaminates, and condition the internals. The other bottle is a *water wetter* type liquid which is also a PH balance tool also as it is a pinkish color..... when the PH is out of balance, the coolant will be clearish-looking.....to fix the PH balance, just add some more pink-ish fluid.... I will post results as soon as I have done the change over (3-4 days)
Wrapping the headers helps in a round about way I guess, it stops the plastic fans from melting

Spacing the fairings out slightly where they align with the CRC or Italian flag lets a little more air from the fans escape as does removing the pretty mesh from the rear of the fairing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode