overheating - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
lee

overheating

I am relatively new here and not yet totally familiar with F4's. But an engine is an engine and they all operate under the same conditions. From reading the thread it would appear that the F4 has a bit of a problem with running hot though I can't confirm this as I haven't ridden my bike yet. Pa. Cold. I'm old. The thread on a modified water pump impeller is interesting and appears to lower the coolant temp somewhat by speeding up the coolant flow. However there is a limit as to how fast the coolant can flow as it needs a certain amount of "dwell" time in the radiator to extract the max amount of heat. I am thinking that the overheating is more due to insufficient radiator area than flow speed. I also wonder about the thermostat's opening temp. Does anyone know what it is? It is my feeling that a solution would be to increase rad area. The only way I can see to do this would to be to install a thicker rad or add an additional smaller rad in front of the existing one. Which would involve mounting and plumbing issues that are easily overcome. I also wonder if a lower opening temp thermostat wouldn't help as well. Any comments or feelings on this?

Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 07:29 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
I think you are right on here. I have always felt that it is strange that the bike temp will run up to 220f when sitting in traffic and then back down to 168 when moving. That sounds like a thermostat problem to me and in car world it is. Everyone says these bikes don't work that way. I would like to mess around with thermostats first and see what happens.

Full disclosure: I have only had one extremely high temp occurance, so it is not a huge issue for me.

CAG
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 07:36 AM

Fans cut in at 100C though mine sometimes seem to cut in a little earlier, just in case you haven't seen the overheating thread...give this a read

http://mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10410

and check on page 15 for quote/post from yours truly that I took from another thread that a new member (Tuna) had posted. He fully resolved the over-heating issue but spent quite a bit of money and effort doing it...It really just depends what you need to do.

I rarely commute on my bike and oddly enough the heating only became a bit of an issue for me after my last service but if this impellar mod can give me a 5C drop in temp then that would be good enough for me and if it would give me closer to 10C I'm pretty sure I would be able to commute happily in summer also. The R and 312 seem to run a bit hotter than the S so I can't speak for them but if I remeber correctly after all the mods Tuna did I think he said the mod he wouldn't do after the fact would have been the larger rad.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
lee

I did as you suggested and read up on the situation. Apparently that's not an oil cooler on the bottom but rather another rad. And it still heats up? It also seems that the problem is only prevalent at low speed or sitting still not at speed. So that eliminates adding more radiator area. It would appear that what's needed is more airflow through the rad beginning at a lower temp. The fan cut in temp is ridiculously high IMO and perhaps a combination of a larger fan which cuts in sooner and a coolant thermostat which opens sooner might do the trick. I haven't looked at the fans but if they're not shrouded around the perimeter of the blades they're really not going to be very efficient. I'll have to dig into this some more and see what I can come up with. Course it may not be a problem on mine but given all the noise over it I doubt that will be the case.

Lee
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 11:38 AM

Coolant temp is not really a good indicator of engine temp. Oil temperature would be more accurate, and is actually highly stable on MV's.
99.9% of people complaining of "overheating" report temp readouts still within safe ranges in their owner's manuals.

And "an engine is an engine", please.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer6
Coolant temp is not really a good indicator of engine temp. Oil temperature would be more accurate, and is actually highly stable on MV's.
99.9% of people complaining of "overheating" report temp readouts still within safe ranges in their owner's manuals.

And "an engine is an engine", please.

+ 1

bc

Mv Agusta F4 1000 Senna 043/300

Ducati 996 SPS 1500
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
lee

I am aware of the fact that coolant temp is not a good indicator of engine temp and that oil temp gives a better picture, as it circulates through the heart of the engine. Perhaps that's why any decent high performance engine will run an oil cooler for not only does it help prevent oil breakdown at higher temps but also aids in cooling the engine. Particularly air cooled engines.

Just because the owner's manual states limits does not necessarily mean that it is in the best interests of the engine to allow it to reach or continuously operate at those limits.

As for "an engine is an engine" that was a poor choice of wording. Of course that statement is ridiculous and untrue. What I meant to say was that all four cycle engines operate in the same manner be it a P-51 or a lawnmower. It comes in, gets squeezed, ignites and expands, and exits. How those four things are played with is what makes the difference.

As for coolant temp I personally would prefer not to see it at the high end of said limits, and if I can do something to lower it into a more reasonable range then I believe it's worth pursuing.
Lee
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee
I am aware of the fact that coolant temp is not a good indicator of engine temp and that oil temp gives a better picture, as it circulates through the heart of the engine. Perhaps that's why any decent high performance engine will run an oil cooler for not only does it help prevent oil breakdown at higher temps but also aids in cooling the engine.
Having a decent high performance engine, the F4 does indeed have an oil cooler; more accurately, an oil/coolant heat exchanger. It's to the right of the oil filter.

2008 MV Agusta F4 312 R
2002 Ducati ST4S
1998 Ducati 748
1994 Ducati 900SS
1980 Yamaha TZ250G
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
lee

I know it does and never said it didn't. It does exactly what it's called. Exchanges heat. Between hot oil and hot coolant.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 08:30 PM

For whatever reason, when the Brutale came out the 750 F4s recieved a lower radiator, and the Brutes got an oil cooler, presumably since they are the 'street' version of the F4.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode