New to MV - need some help - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

New to MV - need some help

Hi all...I am new here and thinking about getting a MV. Coming from Triumph and Ducati background, I have very little knowledge about MV. All I can say is I am hooked to the "look" of MV, both F4 and brutale. I think the underseat exhaust is way too sexy than the Ducati's. IMO, brutale will have the killer look if they have the same exhaust as the f4.

Q1 Reliability - is there any other issues/concerns beside the heating problem that I read in the forum? How reliable is the bike? Does it requires a lot of maintenance? Oh..how often does it requires a service and how much$$? I used to pay over $600 for Ducatio service every 6K and I think that is a bit too expensive.

Q2 Performance/handling/sound - for regular street ride, is there a major different between F4 and brutale? As for sound, I am refering to after market exhaust and i think it is a must for every bike.

Q3 Models - What are the major different between the 750 vs 1000S vs SPR vs 312R? (I know the new one have slipper clutch). Brutale has fewer models and I think i got that down.

Q4 New vs used - I know these depends on lot of other factors, but just want to see overall responses and individual comments etc.

Thanks in advance!! Can wait to be the next MV owner.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 02:54 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Welcome aboard! I'll lead off trying to answer questions.

There has been some discussion about putting the F4 exhaust on the brutale. YOu will need an F4 subframe and rear fairing, F4 mid pipe and, obviously, F4 slipons.

Q1 Maintenance cost and frequency is about the same as the higher performance Ducatis (1098 etc). The bikes are very reliable and the 3 I ride regularly have no over heating problems. They do run hot, but I have never had a boil over and have only experienced the dreaded flashing temp guage once.

Q2 Spine tingling, pants wetting, mouth watering sound. Get the RG3s or the Ti slipons for the F4, and the MV Corse exhaust for the Brutale. Not too loud, just loud enough to stir your soul. The Arrow shorty for the Brutale is supposed to be way loud but in a good way.

Q3 Do your research here or go to MV Agusta's website for the differences between models.

Q4 I would buy used. Most of these bikes get ridden little and are well cared for. You can get some smok'n deals right here on this forum.

CAG
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
My 2 cents worth:

Maintenance costs are similar to Japanese sport bikes EXCEPT the expense of required high end oil and MV filter or other parts, and the dealer's labor rate may be higher then a Honda or Suzuki shop's. Actual labor times are similar. However, most Jap bikes have valve inspect/adjust intervals of 14K+ miles, where MV is 7K.

For normal street riding in town Brutale is the way to go. F4 is better suited for open roads, high speed highway and track. I agree with CAG on pipes, except for my 910R I really like the sound from my Arrow slip-ons with the baffles out. If you need more horsepower there are a lot of ways to go. I can't use all she has now, so I don't.

I would definitely jump all over one of the forum member's pre-owned bikes. New is nice, especially if you want the latest color schemes, but you'll be spending a bunch for upgrades (if you're like most of us) that may already be on the pre-owned bikes, and some of the bikes I've seen posted for sale here still have warranty !!!

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Old Wing Nut

Here is one of those excellent deals from the forum "For Sale". There are others as well, and I'm not trying to promote one guy's bike over anothers, but personally I think this one is particularly tasty:

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12516

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 05:58 PM

~ IMO MV is WAAAAAY ahead of Ducati in terms of reliability and I've owned Ducatis for longer than some board members have been alive. YMMV

~ Regardless of make, a good bit of your happiness will come down to your dealer.

~ If your racing or doing a LOT of track days, go for the F-4. Otherwise, go for the Brute. WAAAAY better all around. YMMV

~ Forget the underseat pipes and the related seat. Your @$$ will thank you after every ride. Get a picture of an F-4 to stare at.

~ Loads of great deals on used bikes. MV owners (generally) have good amounts of cash to spend so they (generally) buy new and have the $$$ to care for their purchases. Used MV's are (generally) sensational buys. Buy directly from the ORIGINAL owner and (generally) you'll be fine. YMMV

Harley-Davidson: Seen one, heard 'em all...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me
My 2 cents worth:

Maintenance costs are similar to Japanese sport bikes EXCEPT the expense of required high end oil and MV filter or other parts, and the dealer's labor rate may be higher then a Honda or Suzuki shop's. Actual labor times are similar. However, most Jap bikes have valve inspect/adjust intervals of 14K+ miles, where MV is 7K.

For normal street riding in town Brutale is the way to go. F4 is better suited for open roads, high speed highway and track. I agree with CAG on pipes, except for my 910R I really like the sound from my Arrow slip-ons with the baffles out. If you need more horsepower there are a lot of ways to go. I can't use all she has now, so I don't.

I would definitely jump all over one of the forum member's pre-owned bikes. New is nice, especially if you want the latest color schemes, but you'll be spending a bunch for upgrades (if you're like most of us) that may already be on the pre-owned bikes, and some of the bikes I've seen posted for sale here still have warranty !!!
I must say that the maintenance costs esp when you get the bill are kind of shocking. The 600 mile first service like for example is 600 USD. Could be more if they actually have to do the valve clearance. So at first it might be a bit of a shock but I mean one look at the bike and that shock sorta goes away and you feel it is justifiable. It does sound brilliant I tell you. There are some vids in the media section that you should look around at. I was sold on the looks at first but was having second thoughts until the dealer turned my bike on. I was sold after that. REally hard to believe a bike sounds like that

2007 Senna #148/300
2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 07:55 PM
Old Wing Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by suryad
I must say that the maintenance costs esp when you get the bill are kind of shocking. The 600 mile first service like for example is 600 USD. Could be more if they actually have to do the valve clearance.
My first service was $300...just a bit more then a proper first service on a GSX-R1000 would be if done by the book. One difference is that $14 per liter oil and $14 oil filter. I was quoted $600 for 7K service with valves. That's pretty close to the major service cost on a GSX-R1000, too. My dealer charges $90 per hour, that's about as high an hourly labor rate as you will find in Atlanta area. Regional average is about $68 per hour for all bike shops.

Your dealer will have a great deal to do with your happiness as an owner. This can be said about any modern bike. There just aren't many alternate dealers with MV, while it seems there's a Honda dealer every 30 miles. So check out who you'll be living with and find out what they charge for service and if they have a good athmosphere and will love you back when you give them your hard earned money.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all that responded. Looks like all Italian bikes are high maintenance, and there is not many way around it if you want to keep your bike on top shape. Which I normally would not hesitate to spend for my own safety. $14/liter oil is also no surprise for me as I always use top brand oil for my Ducati 996S.
Suryad, just like you. I was sold on the Ducati when I first heard the termig exhaust on a L-twin. Based on the sound clip found in this forum, F4 with RG exhaust does sound very good. Hopefully I can find some board members here in Texas, so I can listen to the exhaust sound in person.
Based on look and exhaust sound, F4 is now on top Brutale on my list. With that said, I shall start hunting for my MV.......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode