New engine in an old carcass! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

New engine in an old carcass!

New engine in an old carcass!

Just digesting all the great photos from the 07 Milan Bike show. However, Im a little disappointed why MV has decided to put this new 1078 engine in an old carcass, why?
Furthermore, whos going to buy this bike? OK, if your trading up from a 750, I can understand your purchase, however we all pretty much know the new model launch will be next year. Is it just the case of MV trying yet again to squeeze every last drop of blood out of this model? Yes its still a good looking bike for its age and it has stood the test of time, but its time for a new model! It will also be interesting to see if the bike suffers with any over heating issues.

At the moment and in my opinion, MV is fast becoming a fashion accessory. Never could understand why they teamed up with a watch manufacturer.

If MV wants to be taken seriously on the world racing stage (WSB) then quite simply, they need to go racing. Even at this 07 Milan bike show, dusting off the cobwebs and wheeling out Giacomo Agostini who raced for Count Agusta back in the day. Yes, this guy is a legend, however and quite frankly, we need modern race riders to help sell and promote this brand. We need to be back on the world stage of racing. Even through the dark days of the 999 sales, Ducati did this very well. Irrespective of our feelings towards the 999, this bike kept Ducati in winning ways and also kept the company in the spotlight!

I believe MV need to concentrate all there efforts on getting a team into the WSB and working on this new F4 model. All this business of trying to out do their neighbours, with the most expensive bike in the world or the fastest bike in the world. They need to get back on the world stage!

We all love this brand and its roots are entrenched in motorcycle racing history. Lets bring the past into the future!

'' Oggi Corriamo''

Last edited by nicensleazy; 11-09-2007 at 02:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 02:54 AM

+1 to all of the above!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 03:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
I think you have two issues confused.

Firstly it takes a lot of money to go WSBK and a hell of lot more for Moto Gp. MV obviously do not have the resources to do it without a major backer. CC has allways said they will not got racing at that level until they can do it properly.

Secondly, to bring out a complete new model, will not change the above fact.

I don't think anyone will argue that we (and bike fans world wide) would love to see MV 's at that level. It will happen but in good time.

As for being a fashion accessory, have you ever seen the Ducati stuff in their shops? A lot more than just watches!, they apparantly modelled themselves on Harley when the USA company TPG had control. Ducati has really gone into the whole lifestyle fashion area, and I must say, have done a great job. So whats wrong with that? MV is no where even close to Ducati in the fashion stakes. Oh and have a look at what Aprilia, Moto Guzzi and KTM have in the fashion area, you can see they are doing what Ducati has done so well.

As for racing Ducati's, and this comes from a very big fan. Ducati have been successful at WSBK by running essentialy one off machines through very liberal rules. This has been at the expense of privateers,. The grids world wide were once full of 916' and 748's, have a look around, not many domestic series have any privateers running Ducatis. In Australia Ducati pulled out of SBK and SS years ago. So none racing. Guess which Italian marques are, yes MV and some Aprillias.
If I am right Ducati pulled out of AMA, (and at least MV had a go).
What is interesting is the MV teams globally are being run by privateers, the same privateers that could not afford to run a Ducati and keep it maintained and competitive.
In some European countries there are some Ducati's running but are usully have some satelite support with the factory.
In fact in the racing circles down here, Ducati is not even on anyones radar because they simply cannot afford to field them. The new 1198R will probably sell for around A$60,000. a GSXR 1000 is A$18,000, see the problem for a privateer? A MV 312R is A$33,000 and is allready competitive with other I4's, but with higher spec components. You can see why it is becoming the attractive option for those wanting to race a non Japanese machine. (The 1098 is just not competitive against the I4)

So yes DUCATI are fantastic at the elite level, and good on them, but at the expense of privateers. I can see why CC is doing what he is doing. This is a smart guy, and CRC are a fantastic group, I am sure it will be worth it, in the long run.

Sorry for my long ramble!

MVA Sydney
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

MVASYD, you raised some very interesting points. However, MV need to progress with the new generation F4. How long can they keep flogging a dead horse? Thats probably why bike mag's don't fully report on these new paint scheme models.

'' Oggi Corriamo''
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 04:08 AM

I do agree on all what has been said on this blog i am also a proud owner of an MV and yes its time that they realy start to live up to the legend and start racing seriuosly at all levels to sell more bikes,i would surely want to see Mv back on all poduims and thats wat they are about and have been doing for years is racing and build fast reliable bikes for track and street ,all they should do from the factory side is to realy concentrate on getting back on the poduims does not matter what it takes to get there.there are to many excuses from the owners and before long if they dont pull out a rabbit from the hat i will be selling my MV soon and go back to Ducati and Jap bikes before MV becomes the laughing stock.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 04:32 AM

I would prefer MV's to sell at street level, rather than go racing and end up broke.

The men at the top know what they are doing, hell THEY resurrected the marque to start with.

MVASYD is right, we've got to be patient.

07 F41000R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

09 Blazing orange Speedtriple
07 CBR 600RR trackbike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 05:38 AM

Initially I was disappointed, but only about the 675.

I am now happy to see a further progression of the F4. I would never upgrade for a few more cc's and extra hp....and it means we all still have the 'current' shape for another year at least.

SENNA 070/300
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 06:40 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
I know nothing about racing but here is a question: is it possible that MV is not racing so that they can devote their financial resources to a new bike. Why go racing with a 10 year old design? Once they have the new bike ready to go, THEN they will start to campaign it in WSBK or whatever?

Does this make sense or am I smoking crack?

CAG
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 07:06 AM

Yes sure it would be phantastic if the MV's would be back on World Championship Racing. But only if competitive. They even tried to start their World Superbike Campaigne, but Foggy didn't found Sponsors. Here are Guys pointing out that MV should go racing at all cost's, so why didn't this impatient fellows write some cheques to MV or Foggy. On the other hand I think their support for AMA, FIM Superstock, Italian, German, Australian Superstock was pretty good. Team Klaffi and STP report on our web site that they are pretty happy with their Package. I believe that CC is doing in fact a quite smart business, because first of all has MV Agusta to be financial healthy. Developing new models is not a piece of cake and cost's millions of Dollars. By the Way here is mostly overseen that the 1000 will be further developed for racing

Last edited by haupti; 11-09-2007 at 07:09 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 08:24 AM

Very interesting thread and I agree with most of the views made. I too would love to see a formal works race team on the scene, however I suspect the budget is the problem. Not withstanding MVs financial status, it is imperative that they now move forward. Triumph pushed the limits of sticking with their modular design before finally introducing real 'style' in the form of the T595. It was only then that a steady flow of new models started to appear. Had they not introduced the 595 I reckon they could have got themselves into major difficulties.

We are all of course loyal to MV but they need to keep attracting new customers and new customes won't be too inclined to switch to a design that is 10/11 (and counting) years old! MV will find it harder and harder to shift their bikes, and with no pennies coming in will never go racing. The age of the design was a concern when I bought my R, but I just loved it so much, I had to have it. There will always be people with the same view, but they will reduce as time goes on and MV could become a smaller operation unless they move forward Now!

I think the 675 is a good direction, but the F4 must get updated as well...
its a personal thing...but in my view....you can't beat cubes!!!!
Tont

The wife said "Go buy some Art"...
...................__O
................_-\<,_\
...............(_)/ (_)
I bought art.....MV Art!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode