So why is it? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

So why is it?

I read with great interest everyones "disappointment" with the 2008 MV lineup. Certainly there are bits of the brutale, and the F4 that we would love to have on our bikes. Each of us has desires for specific "upgrades."

So why is it that none of us are "turned on" to the newer bikes? Having seen a CC being prepped for delivery today, I was salivating at the titanium pipes and Brembo brakes. But coming home an "relooking" at my Tamburini, I realize that my bike needs nothing. Do I really need to dump ~$4K on the pipes and ~$3K on the brake upgrade? NOT. It looks, runs, brakes wonderfully and gives me a woody just as it is. At 7300 miles, it still is the only motorcycle I want to ride, and nothing else stirs my soul.

The last thing I need is more power to go faster; and I have no plans in the next year to drag race a 747 down a runway.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that few of us are turned on by the new machines because we already have MVs that are beyond our needs and a few simple mods "make them our own." So we really have NO need to upgrade our timeless pieces of wonderful machinery.

I have no idea what the folks at MV Italy are thinking, but I suspect financial concerns limit revolutionary changes. I suspect that the "new" F4 that really is worthy of our praise will be a bit expensive, maybe a "special," and then MV will be criticized for putting such a pricey beast on the market.

Anyway, just some thoughts to stimulate responses.

and as you ALL know...292 is

Peter

Last edited by Reopropf; 11-06-2007 at 08:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 06:57 PM

Well, from what I'm reading, since the F4CC came out, there's been a disconnect with some MV owners. Some feel the company has moved away from motorsports and become more of a fashion statement.

Personally, I wasn't suprised a new design did come out this year. I'm expecting it in 2009.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Established Member

There are some very interesting points there. I wonder if MV Agusta are trying harder to expand their customer base and existing owners (like ourselves) aren't tempted to upgrade.

I've had my 916 for years and I don't really want a 1098. I'm happy.

My Brutale 750 I've had long enough to feel very happy with too.

I hope my wife doesn't read this.

F4 1000R #67
YZFR6 #67
853R
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:04 PM

I think alot of the reason we are unimpressed is with the design being 9 years old (I think) it has lost some of its specialness. It needs an update, while its not bad it just needs that extra special spice it had when it originally came out. The fresh new look.

A new paint scheme does not quite cut a new look for me.

I believe she is the Devil in a candy wrapper.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:09 PM

I WANT a 675 Triple and/or a 500 Supermono and/or a 650 motard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where is all that!?!?!?!?!?!?!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reopropf
I read with great interest everyones "disappointment" with the 2008 MV lineup. Certainly there are bits of the brutale, and the F4 that we would love to have on our bikes. Each of us has desires for specific "upgrades."

So why is it that none of us are "turned on" to the newer bikes? Having seen a CC being prepped for delivery today, I was salivating at the titanium pipes and Brembo brakes. But coming home an "relooking" at my Tamburini, I realize that my bike needs nothing. Do I really need to dump ~$4K on the pipes and ~$3K on the brake upgrade? NOT. It looks, runs, brakes wonderfully and gives me a woody just as it is. At 7300 miles, it still is the only motorcycle I want to ride, and nothing else stirs my soul.

The last thing I need is more power to go faster; and I have no plans in the next year to drag race a 747 down a runway.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that few of us are turned on by the new machines because what we already have MVs that are beyond our needs and a few simple mods "make them our own." So we really have NO need to upgrade our timeless pieces of wonderful machinery.

I have no idea what the folks at MV Italy are thinking, but I suspect financial concerns limit revolutionary changes. I suspect that the "new" F4 that really is worthy of our praise will be a bit expensive, maybe a "special," and then MV will be criticized for putting such a pricey beast on the market.

Anyway, just some thoughts to stimulate responses.

and as you ALL know...292 is

Peter
I think Peter has summarized my outlook very well. I, for one, am not disappointed at all in the '08 MV lineup.

I'm on my third Brutale, not because I needed it, or that I was even remotely capable of using it to it's potential. I traded up from a 750 to a 910S to a 910R. Not because it made sense (it didn't, especially financially!) I traded up because I wanted the latest, and greatest. I think I'm done for a while. That being said, the 989 and the 1078 are very interesting in my opinion.

As for F4's, we are criticizing what will likely go down as the high water mark in contemporary motorcycles. Yes, it's a little long in tooth, but the ultimate replacement may well fall short in any number of catagories: i.e. styling, build quality, price/performance quotient, etc. (Think of the 999 Ducati) Thirty years from now, those of us not hiding our own Easter Eggs will be remembering the good old days of their F4s from the turn of the century. We need to recognize that we are enjoying the good old times right now.

As for MV's marketing strategy: They're in business to make a profit. With limited resources, they are trying to maximize their return. From a business perspective, that makes lots of sense. After all, a financially healthy MV is ultimately in our best overall interest. Agreed? Comments?

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:37 PM

I think it's a big combination of things.

In my opinion, as far as looks, it's really hard to beat what's already been released. Your Tamburini was probably really the high point. The CC is not really any better, in my opinion. It's just exclusive for the sake of it.

I still look at my regular F4S 750 and I can hardly believe I own an MV. I don't want anything else. I mean, if I had the chance to have an Oro or an Ago, I might do it but I probably wouldn't ride the snot out of those like I do this one, so this one is just fine.

I think MV is just nickel and diming us to death with new models. They certainly haven't done much to cause current customers to buy new stuff. Why should we buy new stuff? We've already made our decision and probably most of us are already extremely happy with our bikes.

From the outside all these new models must seem pathetic to some portion of the population.

On the other hand, the 312 posted the fastest lap time of the Roadracing World test, impressive for an "oudated, overweight" bike. But they still hated it! How can this be?

I think the promise that they had and were building on back in the early years of the rebirth just doesn't exist anymore, and they are just doing themselves more harm than good with all these redundant "new" models.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. How can a company capable of making such great bikes seem to be so misguided?

'01 F4S
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:39 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, it's not out of the question that I could be a 500cc single customer, if it's not stupid expensive and a rehashed Mito.

'01 F4S
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:51 PM

New Site Garage
My R is less than a year old so I was glad they did not come out with a different looking bike and make mine dated. This is what I disliked about the jap bikes, every 2 years it was a different bike. I like the fact that I can upgrade items on my bike and be able to switch them over later if I purchase a new one. I know they can only go with the same body style for so long. I like the small upgrades and not completely new models.

just my 2 cents
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 09:14 PM

I quite love my Senna. The noise, the vibrations, its quite a dramatic experience throwing the leg over one. I just wish the marque does not 'cheapen' themselves and to me these new models look liek they are trying too hard to steal Ducati's glory in that the 1098 won the world supertstock, have the desmo RR, won the motogp championship and got the 1098R out after the WSBK agreed to allow 1200 cc twins. MV is like "LOOK AT ME!!" hence the ridiculous F4CC...hence the 1080. That disappoints me.

2007 Senna #148/300
2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode