Gas Tank Leak F41000 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to alfredob
Gas Tank Leak F41000

Hello everyone: listen to this one: I was at a track day in South Carolina on the 21 of October....my F4 1000 stayed in my trailer overnight when the temperature went down to 44 degrees. In the morning I took the bike out to go ride and I notice that the bike kept leaking gasoline from the bottom of the gas tank, non from the overflow pipe at the bottom of the bellypan. I do have to point that the night before the tank was overfilled a little bit but still the excess should have been discharged from the little tube into the bellypan, instead the leak was coming from the very bottom of the tank; even funnier was the fact that if I opened the gas cap, the leak would stop; close the cap again and the leak would start again. Keep in mind the bike was under the sun at this time while the gas tank was cold cold cold from the night. I came home and took the gas tank apart and found out that there is a part under the tank called "webber" (on picture number 3 it is that small circular part with a small pipe that sticks out of it and indicated with a light red arrow). This part did NOT have any rubber tubes attached to it. Would anyone know how to explain all of this? Is there a rubber pipe that actually needs to be attached to this "webber" thing or is the phenomenum due to the simple pressure built in the gas tank result of the change in temperature between night and day.....or what????? Thanks for anyone's help on the above.
Alfredo
Attached Images

MV Agusta F4 1000 2005
Ducati Desmosedici RR 2008
Suzuki SV 650S - 2001 For sale
Ducati 848 2008

Last edited by alfredob; 10-31-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 07:43 AM

Ah! thats the fuel pressure regulator, 'Webber' make fuel system components, it doesn't have anything attached to it on the MV, its a common part used in other applications where that tube would connect to the inlet manifold to alter the fuel pressure under different engine conditions to assist with easier fuel mapping, sounds like the internal diaphragm has gone, you'll need a new one there non repairable

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mikef4uk; 11-01-2007 at 07:52 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

are you talking about a new "webber" piece or....what?

MV Agusta F4 1000 2005
Ducati 848 2008
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredob
are you talking about a new "webber" piece or....what?
Yes.........you need to order a new fuel pressure regulator, part number 18 on the attched PDF
Attached Files
File Type: doc Doc1.doc (69.0 KB, 146 views)

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 10:43 AM

You don't actually say where the fuel was coming out. I doubt that the fuel pressure regulator (the "Weber" piece) is the source. I suspect that there is nothing wrong, and that as the fuel heated up and/or the bike was moved, it started pushing out the overflow. The small tube below it in the third picture seems more likely. There are two "overflow" tubes. One is the actual overflow from around the filler, the other goes from the highest part inside the tank. Only one of those has a tube on it in your pictures.

2008 MV Agusta F4 312 R
2002 Ducati ST4S
1998 Ducati 748
1994 Ducati 900SS
1980 Yamaha TZ250G
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

the fuel was coming out from the very bottom of the gas tank....to make you understand the leak was coming from the top of the engine and falling on top of the clutch; in my opinion "mikef4uk" is right on the money...thanks

MV Agusta F4 1000 2005
Ducati 848 2008
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredob
the fuel was coming out from the very bottom of the gas tank....to make you understand the leak was coming from the top of the engine and falling on top of the clutch; in my opinion "mikef4uk" is right on the money...thanks
Thanks! but I would check the obvious first, people have had leaky fuel pipes etc, this would be the 'first' leaky fuel pressure regulator.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode