Joes F4 1000R " Special" - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Joes F4 1000R " Special"

Well, she is special to me..

I began building this bike in my dining room one evening in 2009 as I was "a bit bored"..

The basis for the build was " an incomplete motorcycle " registered 2009 as that is what the authorities require for the whole project to be permitted for road use. and a great big bag of bolts and fasteners given to me by Carl CAG ,,,down in his basement ..I still recall him asking me if I had heard of mvagusta.net ...Well, I have now

I had bits of it in boxes and in the shed and in the cupboard in my dining room too..Once I had started it became a kind of obsession !

I was soon told that I had the wrong wheels and the wrong forks for the model of bike, 1000R. I'd fitted Showa forks...Elementary error !
So I went out and bought some "New" Marzocchis from Germany
I also located a set of the correct Ultralights .Then I changed my mind and fitted these superb Mag Oro Stars which came in from a Forum member in Belgium.

The Ultralights now live in Massachusetts in the good ol USA and I delivered them in person !

Around the time when I was working with the cooling system our forum members Donsy and Noel were developing an enhanced F4 cooling system based on the Brutale. Interestingly this system was also adopted by MV Agusta for their MY10 models...

The system dispenses with the old intercooler and it's yards of plumbing and the bottom water radiator. In its place go a pressurised Radiator and a dedicated oil cooler,

So I had a bright idea ( rare ! ) of utilizing a MY 2010 cooling system and transplanting it into the F4. Is it possible ? Yes. Is it simple ? Yes....Is it easy to turn the theory into practice ? No

But I know people and I got hold of the cooling system from Mark at Timemachine uk...Mark had also supplied an immaculate 800 miles engine complete with wiring and ecu for that particular engine. The poor thing didn't even know it was dismantled !

I also have a great ally in Henry Irvine at Alumacraft Motorsport who is a mate and a consumate welder of any metal you can think of and A great motorcycle engineer.

So the build progressed and I got to know a lot of good guys and gained knowledge steadily from the forums.

A Mitchy hub was ordered for peace of mind as I do intend to roam far and wide on this bike...Well they aren't just for looking at are they ?

And I finally got her started ....No problems at all,,A couple of cranks to get the fuel through the pump and she fired right up....I had taken the step of opening the patio window and shutting all the other doors so I didn't literally fumigate the house...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh4EWOJgbRA

I don't know what the neighbours thought of it to be honest. I think they now see the old git next door in a whole different light now though !

So if it was a ship, she'd been launched but it took a whole lot of time fine tuning the fit of the fairings and airtubes and hoses and it was probably 12 months before I finally got her out the kitchen and into the garage.

On the morning of the MOT ( read state ) test, I put the bike at the road side, All my gear on and then the indicators wouldn't work and the oil cooler started to leak slightly at one of the hose joints...Not the best start I guess.

So as I had a spare oil cooler I got the rectification work done by Henry and then swapped it over in one quick operation a week or two later.....

And she flew through the first MOT Test ..If she hadn't I think I would have had to leave the country in shame

That was back in August and since then I've been travelling on my other bikes and the indicator issue came back..I've fixed the indicators now

Yesterday I took her for a nice run to a favourite haunt of mine at Wellesbourne Warwickshire...The bike is a missile and as sweet as a nut...and she is all poised ready for a great season in 2015

Well after I fit the correct battery tray for the heat deflector..

She's a great bike and sits well in the stable with my Laverda Jota..Two thoroughbreds for sure..

and the cooling system.Note the cool blue hoses and performance .......75 deg C in the cruise

Fandabidosie !
Attached Images

Armando1969 and Armando1969 like this.

Last edited by gotojoe; 11-30-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 10:40 AM

New Site Garage
Very nice write up. Nice looking bike.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 01:02 PM

Congratulations! Beautiful bike, especially since you built it yourself. I sure wish I had the skill, time and patience to accomplish something like that! I envy you

Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than speak aloud and remove all doubt
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 MV Agusta F4 1000R
2007 MV Agusta F4 1000R (Blk&Wht)
2007 MV Agusta F4 1000R (Proper colors)
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa LE GSX1300R
1983 Suzuki Katana 1100
1982 Suzuki Katana 1170
1978 Yamaha XS 500 (Sold)
1980 Honda CB 125 (T/C)
1977 Yamaha YZ 80 (Sold)
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 01:57 PM

New Site Garage
Love it. Looks very neat!

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

And now to take her overseas next year....: )
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 02:46 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotojoe View Post
And now to take her overseas next year....: )
Good idea! I promised you a coffee!!

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 02:52 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
The bike is a credit to you Joe,well done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Velocity View Post
Good idea! I promised you a coffee!!

I thought you Dutch fellas were beer monsters like the Brits ? ; )

And yes Holland in the spring time sounds like a great place to visit
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
The bike is a credit to you Joe,well done.

Cheers Mitchy and Andrew and all you good fellas..It's been alot of fun.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 06:24 PM
Established Member

What a beauty Joe, you are gifted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode