Senna #188 REBORN! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thumbs up Senna #188 REBORN!

So here's the story of me and my Senna and how my summer was pretty much ruined, and why these last few days of nice weather are going to be bliss...

Back in July I was whipping down the highway when there was a loud *BANG* followed by some very undesirable changes to the handling characteristics of my bike. That is to say, I was suddenly ALL over the road with my rear tire acting like butter on a hot skillet. I was travelling way too fast to have an opportunity to fully comprehend what was happening, but to make a long story short: The rod on cylinder 4 blew through the side of the engine casing making a hole the size of a golfball. Oil lurched out of the engine quite rapidly and the fairing did a splendid job of acting like a gutter and carrying it all directly to the rear wheel, coating it and making my tire as slippery as snot on a doorknob. By the grace of (insert your preferred deity here) I managed to not dump and get the bike to the side of the road safely. Aside from the engine itself the only other casualty was my soiled shorts.

So I called a few dealers the next day like "WTF?!" and they agreed that this should NOT happen (I had 3500 miles on the bike) and Cagiva said they would cover a new motor for my baby. However, the factory doesn't have a part number for an assembled motor, meaning they would basically just send a box of parts. This put me in a bit of a bind, considering that it was peak season for a bike shop. Trying to find a dealer who wanted to cope with all of that labor during their busy season wasn't easy. I had originally bought my Senna from FBF and they were able to take the bike in early August to start the work.

I met Eraldo Ferracci and the head of the service dept (at the time) and talked about some options. As they were going to have to pull everything apart and put everything back together by hand this was an ideal time for some performance upgrades, since the bulk of the labor charges would be "free" (via warranty). So basically I had the following done:
  • MV Corse Titanium RG3's and midpipe. I left the stainless Arrow headers on there per their recommendation. (Eraldo felt that the titanium headers might be too thin/brittle for everyday use, and there is no performance difference other than a bit of weight loss).
  • 1080 Big Bore kit
  • Race ECU
  • Modified Water Pump (they increased the speed of the pump to help with cooling). Prior to my engine blowing apart, I was routinely hitting 250 F sitting at traffic lights - that was even after I put on a set of Muzzy fans and Engine Ice.
  • Custom/Remapped PCIII
They somewhat broke it in on the dyno and faxed me the first graph (for some reason the X axis has MPH instead of RPM), and the results look amazing! Word has it that the FBF Dyno is "optimistic" (some might say that is being kind), but Eraldo says that once the engine breaks in a bit there should be another 5-10hp tacked on. Either way, it looks pretty smooth (no more surge at 5k) and the torque stats are mind boggling (v-twin? bah!)

I pick up my baby (finally!) on Saturday. Needless to say, I am excited! w00t!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 11:37 PM

New Site Garage
Great story! Please let us know how she pulls...

Griff
twoeleven
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 01:00 AM

Great write-up! I am very curious to know what your temperature will be with the new water pump upgrade. Please keep us updated on what your impressions are of the the 1080 upgrade, too.
post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 01:49 AM
Established Member

Wow, you where lucky...

Nice warranty upgrade, let us know how she runs with the bigger displacement.

With your Mind Power, determination, your instinct and the expierence aswell, you can fly very high! "Ayrton Senna"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 03:39 AM

where do u buy the water pump ??
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 04:05 AM
Established Member

Somewhat broke it in on the dyno.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 04:52 AM

Fantastic, the extra torque will turn it into a demon!

SENNA 070/300
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 06:45 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Get it over to John (Airfuel) for another pull!

CAG
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 06:56 AM

Whoa that is freaking awesome! Holy crap am I reading that right?! 184 at the rear wheel? I second the coolant pump upgrade as well! Let us know how that works for ya.

2007 Senna #148/300
2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 07:23 AM

guess you escaped the grim reaper and got a one of a kind machine there. i'm sure it will be a blast.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode