F4 1000R v 1098S - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

F4 1000R v 1098S

Well, I'm no stranger to MV's, I have owned 3 over the last 7 years, but having said that I am not that blinkered to think that there are no other motorcyles out there.

Over the years I have tried a variety if bikes, R1's, Firebaldes etc but for some reason never a GSXR, it just dosen't do it for me.

Having said that I have always been a big Ducati fan having owned a 748 and probabaly 5 monsters over the years, over the passing months my local Ducati dealer has had a 1098 demonstrator which has been tempting me to 'have a go' so, yesterday I did just that, I have looked at one before and I do feel the build quailty is a little poor compared to MV, the exhaust behind the footrest is not nice, and I think the mirrors are quite cheap looking as well, I am also not a fan of the swingarm or rear sprocket cush drive.

My impressions on riding the bike are:
The motor is very strong from low down and pulled harder and harder as the rev limit approaches, I would say the motor is slightly stronger in its lower midrange than my MV, but only slightly, the MV is much stronger in the higher midrange and higher rpm's.

Gearbox is very slick, probabaly slicker than the MV's to be fair, one thing I did notice though is when I am on a mission on the MV I sometimes go for a 7th gear, down the same road on the 1098 I still had a couple of gears left.

Brakes were as similar to my MV as could be.

Dash board? nah, not a fan, too much info on it and not easy to read when moving quickly.

Handling.........mmmmmm, very very harsh on the std Ohlins settings, slightly harder than an MV1000R and not in the same league as my reworked bike, front end had no feel at all after the MV, it might have been because it was fitted with Suprcorsa's and while they suited the Ducati more than the MV, I still think they lack compliance for general road stuff.

Getting back on the MV after the Ducati felt absolutely wonderfull turbine smooth, just as quick if not quicker, the Ducati's big pulses of power make it fell quicker than it is I think.

Would I swap????????? no no no no no, not at all, jumping straight off the 1098 onto my R brought that one home I still have the most desireable bike for me in the world.

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 04:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
WOW Mike, thanks for that. I thought it was just me.

I also am an old Ducati nut, and have been very tempted by the 1098. But I just get back on the MV and it feels so much better, as you say like a turbine. Admittedly I have it well sorted, so for now I will stay put.
Still love Dukes, I just think my MV suits me better.
I am starting to hope the new MV 675 is a ripper. I would add one next to the Thou.
I am actually now thinking of getting a well used 748/916 and restore it and keep it. That will solve the twin urge.

Thanks for the write up as I know you have been getting itchy. I too have the dreaded 2 year itch.

Cheers

MVA Sydney
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 05:19 AM

Once you have ridden an MV, you realized that nothing could be better. MV forever.

Thanks for your feed-back with your 1098 trip. Previously to your info I was sure about your final conclusions, but now I know that I was in the truth.

But anyway, moreover the F4 looks is insuperable.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 07:32 AM

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=MVASyd]WOW Mike, thanks for that. I thought it was just me.

I also am an old Ducati nut, and have been very tempted by the 1098. But I just get back on the MV and it feels so much better, as you say like a turbine. Admittedly I have it well sorted, so for now I will stay put.
Still love Dukes, I just think my MV suits me better.
I am starting to hope the new MV 675 is a ripper. I would add one next to the Thou.

+1

07 F41000R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

09 Blazing orange Speedtriple
07 CBR 600RR trackbike

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 07:33 AM

We love you Mikey!

07 F41000R

09 Blazing orange Speedtriple
07 CBR 600RR trackbike

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 07:52 AM

I haven't ridden a 1098 since early this year when I was going through the whole Ducati v's MV thing in my head.

At the time I thought the 1098 was a better ride, but went with the MV because I knew it would get better, the more I rode it. It has.

This summer it will be interesting to have another ride of the 1098 demo...but I cancelled my order last week.

SENNA 070/300
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 09:05 AM

Thanks Mike, a friend of mine picked up a 1098S a few weeks back and another is about to get one and I have to say all this bike buying has been giving me ideas...I know from riding a friends 999 I without doubt prefer my MV, but that still hasn't stopped that niggling feeling I want a 1098 every time I see one...unbiased write ups like this from experienced riders like yourself go a long way in helping.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 09:11 AM

I say the 1098 has been a phenomenal success. Ducati really got it right. Not having sat on a 1098, all I can say is if I were buying a bike purely based on looks, MV has no competition.

I do however want to get a Ducati...but then the Brutale is also appealing very much...and so are the new triple 675 cc Agustas and the next gen F4...and they come out in a couple of years which is great cause it will give me enough time to recover financially :P
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 12:32 PM

SEE!!! I told you so!

I took the 1098 for it's first service and the salesman asked how I like it. I said, "okay" and he said "That's it?! Just okay?!" and said "Yeah, the 1098 is my choice in city traffic were I need to get my foot down because it's lower and narrower than the MV. But the MV is my choice for canyons were I don't need to get my foot down. The 1098 is an easier bike to ride but the MV is more fun and has better feedback" He then suggested I consider a Brutale or Monster.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs
SEE!!! I told you so!

I took the 1098 for it's first service and the salesman asked how I like it. I said, "okay" and he said "That's it?! Just okay?!" and said "Yeah, the 1098 is my choice in city traffic were I need to get my foot down because it's lower and narrower than the MV. But the MV is my choice for canyons were I don't need to get my foot down. The 1098 is an easier bike to ride but the MV is more fun and has better feedback" He then suggested I consider a Brutale or Monster.
Yeah! thanks Alan, I nearly didn't take the test ride after 'talking' to you, but it still niggled at me until I did, you were spot on......thanks

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode