Cherry 2007 F4 1000R: Criminal Not to Buy? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Cherry 2007 F4 1000R: Criminal Not to Buy?

My path to almost-ownership of a bouncing baby immaculate 2007 F4 1000R is a bit curious. And, at this writing, I have yet to pull the trigger, though it's in my garage for safekeeping. Read on, I think you'll like the tale.

THE PAST: Sportbikes since 1987, mopeds and scooters prior. Somehow, I survived sportbikes as a late-teen. Back then, we thought 60hp was a lot for a middleweight! I wouldn't hazard a guess if middleweights and literbikes kill off the unwary with even-scarier precision these days vs. then...they killed off plenty back then.

In the 1990s, I raced with AFM in California (1995-1997 seasons). Track schools before, from 1993 (first on a 1990 Ducati 851!). Bay Area resident, at the time, and those from other parts of the U.S. (or anywhere else) with great roads know how tempting street riding "with gusto" can be. I'd spent a few too many years scraping hard parts on the street, prior to racing several ancient Ninja 600s and a then-contemporary Gixxer 750. All to good effect.

THE PRESENT: I've lived in Seattle WA (USA) many years. In 2010, I consolidated bikes to a then new-model Ducati Multistrada (MTS 1200): a bike that really does handle "most" situations "well," which means it handles none excellently. A fine bike in most respects and will continue to grace my stable until further notice.

Since racing, I'm back on the street and occasional track days, though last of the latter would have been 2007 or so. Last dedicated track bike was the then all-new 2003 Kawasaki ZX636B, middleweight trying to be a 750 and not...quite...making it. Sold that c. 2007, after a lot of track days at both Seattle and Portland (and one at Thunder Hill in CA).

THE FUTURE: a close pal I've known since 2002 moved his near-pristine '07 MV into my garage only several months ago. For reasons a bit obtuse, it's seldom if-ever been ridden since 2011. Even to that point, from new, it seldom saw daylight. He's a guy with deep pockets, a few quirks, and great heart.

I replaced the battery and ran it out a bit today for the first time in my custody, after marking sure the tires were properly inflated: mileage is 1,540 (!). Needed the cobwebs blown out, and I freshened the gas. It's fine.

Circumstances compel the owner to sell soon. His price is more-than-fair (the "friend price") so I see few reasons not to buy it and am leaning that way, bad pun intended. I have room in the stable.

And, what will this bring me: couple possibilities, most likely a combination:

1) Show bike! Self explanatory. Strutting around for special events and little else.

2) Mount up some slicks, turn some (moderately) fast laps at the local track schools. Probably demoting myself to the slow-bie group. While fun, I'd be *very* tempted to smoke it to the filter and beat my own lap time from c. 2004. I know how I am!

3) Just stare at it, in my living room (eventually, sans fuel and oil). See item 1).

We shall see, indeed. Thanks for reading. More to come, perhaps...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 05:22 PM

The bike can fulfill 1, 2 and 3 and this superbly.
I ride an F4 since 2000 and I love the bike more than ever.
Just since last December she has to share her place with a Brutale.
So go with it the Multitool will get the spiderwebs soon.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 06:03 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Great first post and welcome to the forum.Buy it,ride it and enjoy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 06:49 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Superb first post!
Welcome.
Enjoy the madness that this forum can inspire, and....

BUY THE BIKE!

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 11:38 AM

Welcome and definitely buy that bike its gorgeous I have a 07 and love it to death
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 02:34 PM
Established Member

I live north of Seattle, just south of the Canadian border and bought my '07 F4 several years ago from Las Vegas. Flew down, handed over the check and rode home: 1500 miles over 4 days. First time ever on an MV, or any other ultra-high performance bike! I have vintage Sportsters, Honda CBX, GB500, etc. that I enjoy but nothing like an MV. So, to my point....

There are magnificent mountain roads here in the PNW that are begging you to take the F4 out for the day. Don't buy the bike from your friend just so it can sit in the garage until a track day or show comes up. Plenty of time during the long winter to sit back and admire the Italian artwork. But, when the sun shines on those long summer days, hit the road and enjoy the scenery. There's nothing like a run over the North Cascades Hwy on a warm, sunny day.

Eric
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 02:58 PM

New Site Garage
Welcome and YES buy it!!

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 03:11 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
Welcome to the forum.
Very interesting read - thanks for taking the time to write that up.

My only observation of the bike is that this is a dual seat version (biposto). The rear pegs appear to have been removed from the subframe. You may have them or the current owner may have them. In any case, if you choose to buy the bike them I'd suggest confirming that they come with the bike.

It ain't what you ride, it's the way you ride it.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 04:31 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Love the White and Black F4s....welcome to the family !!!!!

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 08:12 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Welcome to the Forum......

BUY IT !

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode