Potential New MVAgusta Owner - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Potential New MVAgusta Owner

Hi, my name is Tom, I live in Bellevue, WA, and I just joined the forum. I ride a Ducati ST4s for touring and a Ducati 1098 for local roads and track days. I have read a lot about the various MV Agustas and my local Kawasaki dealer just took on the line. I am interested in buying a F4 1000. I am interested in getting your collective perspectives on the price I should expect to pay for a new F4. I have always been able to negotiate a price below MSRP on my Ducati and BMW purchases (I have owned BMW bikes and a Ducati Monster previous to my present ST4 and 1098).

In your experience, do MV Agusta dealers negotiate below MSRP on new models? Any information you are willing to share is appreciated. If you would rather send me a personal email just address it to: [email protected]

Thanks for your consideration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Compared the mass quantities of Ducatis and BMWs acvailable, the MV Agusta is a very limited production machine. It IS considered Motorcycle Art.

Consider that you will be buying the Ferrari of motorcycles...and the Ducati is...well...an Alfa Romeo. (BMWs are just BMWs, and a dime a dozen except they're a lot more then a dime).

I guess it will depend on how many of each model your dealer gets allocated, and if he gets nervous about carrying it if your market doesn't support high end toys. You can't tell I think my MV is the finest mortorcycle I've ever ridden, can you?? IMHO It's worth what it will cost.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Not quite the informed opinion I was hoping for....but thanks for taking the time to respond.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 01:08 AM

"Welcome to the real world"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 01:37 AM
Smile

Welcome Tom. I have a ST4s too, a most under-estimated bike IMO, basically a 996 with a touring fairing. If you check back on this site, there are several threads where people embarking on MV ownership have asked similar questions, these might help your own decision. Riding each varient is the obvious first step but not always possible, so it then comes down to budget and your own personal preferences i.e. do you need radial brakes and the extra power of a 312 or would an older 1000S (if you can find one) do the job for less money?

Judgiing by the bikes you already own, I would guess a new 312 would be the bike to buy but you will have to work that out for yourself of course. Best of luck with your decision making.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 02:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to blavenia
I think a lot of it will depend on what model year and version of the F4 you're looking at. A leftover S will be heavily discounted. A 312 will not. In most cases, expect about $900 off maximum, that was what I discovered when looking to purchase new.

2005 MV Agusta Brutale S
05 MV F4 1000 S 1+1 (SOLD)

2007 Yamaha FZ1
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Wifey's)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 03:41 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Consider that dealer's profit margin on a new bike is typically only 10%. Dealer must make a profit to keep doors open and make payroll. He has carrying costs of current interest rates on product in his inventory as well as the costs of just assembling and servicing the bike (labor, supplies, warehousing, inbound freight, waste disposal). Add to that the investment in all the nice accesories and apparel for you to look at and try on (and then buy off the internet at discount), and advertising costs.

That 10% doesn't go far to give the dealer a reasonable income. Most Japanese manufacturers as well as a few European ones pay dealer sales incentives and provide marketing funds and other "off invoice" rebates, but I understand Cagiva-MV does not provide much of that type support.

So bottom line is, if you get him down 5% off msrp, but still pay all the freight, set-up and document fees, you have done pretty well. At least that is my experience.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 07:19 PM

Yes, dealers do negotiate below MSPR for MV Agusta but it really depends on which model you're looking at.

If you can find a 2005-2006 leftover F4S model, you could probably get that for around $16 to $19K.

A 2007 F4R would probably be a few thousand off -maybe $1000 or $2,000 off. Incidentally, the board sponsor Scottsdale MV is offering a free scooter with a 2007 F4R purchase.

Now, as for the 2008 312R, I'm not sure what the market is for that bike. I'm sure you could get a few hundred off if you shop around but more than a $1,000 - I'm not sure.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 07:19 AM
Banned

Tom,

I'm also new to The Forum and have recently fallen into the world of the MV. I have a few Ducati's as well and, as a few of the guys have eluded to; it just really depends on the dealer and their financial wherewithall. If a dealer can affford to sit on a brand new bike for potentiallly two years, he will. Oddly enough, I have discovered that this scenaro is not a rare occurance. In fact, it is not out of the realm of possability to come across a dealer sitting on a few '06 or even '05 Mv's!! This could potentially be a deal in the making for the right buyer?? On the other hand, the dealer could choose to sit on the bikes until he get what he wants for them. Like you, me and a good number of the people on this Board...we have all come from, what we thought was, the exclusive world of the Italian Exotic...The Ducati. But, until you've owned the MV, you can not fully appreciate the quirk, nuanses and other oddities related to and associated with MV ownership. Dealers know that the MV owner is usually an anal retentive, picky, leave my wife before I sell the bike, live under a bridge, I'll eat next week, I gotta go ride my MV kinda group. So, the price you pay for your MV is important and relative to only two parties...you and the person or business who has the bike. And, most importantly...is that bike THE BIKE for you???? End of the day...the seller KNOWS that eventuallly, some guy with a pocket full of cash and no common sense is going to buy the bike for his asking price. I did not embark on the "Adventure" of buying an MV. Dealers are smart animals...at least as it pertains to the selling process. In my case, the local dealer places the MV in a location so that one has to walk in and pass them when walking thru the doors to buy parts for their Ducati. A guy can take only so much!!!! After walking by my first MV ('06 F41000) I just couldn't take it anymore. I walked in for a 999 oil filter and...BAM, I left with TWO oil filters. The catch being...one happend to be attached to an MV. And...the rest is history!!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 02:10 AM
Established Member

$22500 out the door for a 2007 F4 1000R, taxes, etc, everything...Munroe Motors, SF, CA, as of Sept. 2007. Go for it..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode