2005 F4s - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Banned

2005 F4s

Opinions?

This one might actually end up at a reasonable price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MV-Agusta-F4...US_motorcycles

- Upgraded billet water pump means no overheating issues.
- Ceramic coated mid pipe and exhaust tips for heat management.
- Mid-frame and swingarm professionally painted silver for the Ago look.
- Cat removed.
- BMC filter.
- Kevlar belly pan.
- New fork seals, new fork oil.
- Dunlop DOT race tires, take-offs from a race bike.
- Even the wheels are damn near perfect.
- Rear stand goes with it.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 10:40 AM

Nice, hope the ebay seller on here can help you with personal question

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07-MV Senna 201/300 My wife gift for my BD
05-MV F4 Track bike
16-Ducati DVT-S
10-Ducati 1198R
08-Ducati 1098
09-Ducati 848 Her bike turn in track bike
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 05:23 PM

New Site Garage
Dana, I think '05 is a great F4 year. That bike looks to have been tracked, as evidenced by the rear tire. Not that tracking a bike is always a bad thing, but I'd quiz the owner about it. The cable tie on the fork tube is evidence of it having been tracked, as no one does that except to see suspension travel when braking on the track. And no one puts DOT take offs on a bike unless they've been to the track.

If he says it hasn't been tracked, I'd want to know how he bubbled the edges of those tires on the street.

His seller feedback shows he has sold a set of '05 F4 rear sets in the last 6 months. I'd ask him about that.

Since the catalytic converter as been removed, I'd want to understand what has been done to the ECU/fueling to prevent a lean running condition.

27,000 miles is on the higher side for most F4's, and I'd question if the rear hub/bearing has been replaced, etc.

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"

Last edited by italia; 09-16-2014 at 05:29 PM.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Banned

It's really hard to find a used bike for a decent price that isn't in some way rough, isn't it? Ah capitalism.
I'm waiting for the Rapture so I can move into a televangelist's house and drive his Ferraris.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 10:42 AM
Big Randaddy

Dana.....what if God recalls all the Ferraris when the Rapture comes?

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italia View Post
Dana, I think '05 is a great F4 year. That bike looks to have been tracked, as evidenced by the rear tire. Not that tracking a bike is always a bad thing, but I'd quiz the owner about it. The cable tie on the fork tube is evidence of it having been tracked, as no one does that except to see suspension travel when braking on the track
Except perhaps anyone who has had their suspension set up by a pro, or has done it themselves and can't measure the sag and sit on the bike at the same time, and just hasn't removed the tie-wrap afterwards, like my other bike ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by italia
And no one puts DOT take offs on a bike unless they've been to the track
Clearly except myself and and several friends, who find it a cheap way to run sticky tyres on their road bikes .....

Quote:
If he says it hasn't been tracked, I'd want to know how he bubbled the edges of those tires on the street
Because, as he says in the ad, they are take-off's from a race bike?

Quote:
Since the catalytic converter as been removed, I'd want to understand what has been done to the ECU/fueling to prevent a lean running condition
Mine was actually a little rich after we cut the cat out?

Quote:
27,000 miles is on the higher side for most F4's, and I'd question if the rear hub/bearing has been replaced, etc.
Indeed

It's almost a 10yr old bike, and if you are buying at the cheaper end of the market you are going to have to accept a few battle scars or risks ........ just get as much history as possible and go with your gut. As Italian bikes go, the MV's seem quite robust and reliable other than issues mentioned above or addressed in the ad?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randarosa View Post
Dana.....what if God recalls all the Ferraris when the Rapture comes?

What does a god need with a Ferrari?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 01:47 PM

Hi guys,

Thank you to Dana for sending me a link to this thread, I am the man behind the curtain so I can answer any questions direct.

These are all good questions and observations, BTW.

I am an MV guy, and I know it sounds crazy but I have 2 05 F4's in my garage right now, same color and everything since it is the most iconic color scheme on F4's, IMO. This one is a mono-posto, my other is a bi-posto. I'm keeping the 2 seater because the wife 'says' she want to ride with, but I know she wont. lol. I also have a Buell XB12 that I ride most days, just because it is low-key, sloppy and fun.

I am also an Ex racer, I held the #7 and #10 plates in 04-05 in the AFM series, so I have been around the block a few times.

As for the questions asked, yes these are Dunlop race takeoffs on the bike, which is why they are balled up. In the background you will see my Buell has the same set, so does my other Agusta. I pick these up from my local Dunlop rep because they are great tires on the cheap. I have not tracked this bike, however I did take my Buell and my bi-posto to Thunderhill earlier this year.

As for the zip tie on the forks, its an old racer habit. I just replaced the fork seals and oil and I always run a zip tie or o-ring to help set sag and keep an eye on things.

Rearsets on ebay are from my other MV, replaced with adjustable.

Seat I currently have on ebay is from this bike, I didn;t like the suede feel so I went back to the stock seat.

Cat removal was to stop cooking my heel, and I did not get and adverse running from removing it so I did not opt for the powercommander. I did to the ceramic coating in a place in Sacramento as well to keep the heat off my legs and ass, works well actually.

27k is on the high side, and the market will adjust for it. I don't have history on the hub, but I know it is not a fancy one and it does not show signs of play. My other Agusta has a stock hub as well, I never saw those issues.

Guys, it is a good solid bike and I'm not trying to pull a fast one over. Hard to believe in today's age. lol.

-Kurt.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks very much for the reply, Kurt, much appreciated. I had, previously, a 30k mile '93 900SS and a 10k mile 996, so 27k doesn't bother me a lot if it hasn't been abused.

Last edited by Dana Kincaid; 09-17-2014 at 03:10 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 04:04 PM

So now the pleasantries are out of the way, you two should get together and get the deal done!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode