Can any tech work on F4 using Shop Manuals? (Thanks, 'Donsy') - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Can any tech work on F4 using Shop Manuals? (Thanks, 'Donsy')

Hey guys. Here is the question: can any decent technician (at a dealership who has been working on other makes and models) maintain F4 using the shop manuals?

I am trying to find a shop to maintain my bike. Local dealer's service department is beyond useless; and, extremely rude. I would rather sell the bike rather than going there. The shop I was using (a Ducati dealership) is closing down! Another Ducati dealership's service manager agreed to review my request and talk to one of his techs to see if he can maintain it (they also sell few other makes).

Many thanks to 'Donsy' for hosting the shop manuals. A great help. Downloaded them all. I just want to know what you guys think. I want to keep this F4; there are number of reasons why I should (though lack of ABS bothers me a lot!).

thanks. cheers. henry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 11:53 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Absolutely.....may spoil them a little though, since the MV is easier to work on than many bikes (think Honda especially).
Problems will be special tools (not many really needed unless doing major engine or chassis work) and diagnostic software (which they may already have).
Oh, and parts supply....but that's easy to overcome.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Absolutely.....may spoil them a little though, since the MV is easier to work on than many bikes (think Honda especially).
Problems will be special tools (not many really needed unless doing major engine or chassis work) and diagnostic software (which they may already have).
Oh, and parts supply....but that's easy to overcome.
Thanks, Ed. Yes, parts will be easier to manage; but, tools may not. I will need to get stuff done like valve adjustments, etc. They are also Ducati dealer. I will ask about tools, software and such.

Thanks.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 05:02 AM

This fella does all my work.. He likes the Monkey wrench a bit too much for my liking
Attached Images

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 05:19 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry-a View Post
Thanks, Ed. Yes, parts will be easier to manage; but, tools may not. I will need to get stuff done like valve adjustments, etc. They are also Ducati dealer. I will ask about tools, software and such.

Thanks.
Valve adjustment requires no special tools. If they work on Ducatis they should have the VDST software.

As long as they have one of these special metric adjustables, tools should not be a problem!
Attached Images

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)

Last edited by esq'z me; 09-16-2014 at 05:22 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 08:18 AM

Blimey Ed . That's one heck of a tool there )
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 12:37 PM

New Site Garage
If you've got a favoured mechanic from the closing shop, you might find out where he/she's going. For long term ownership, you could source and purchase many of the special tools and then provide them to the mechanic, along with parts if necessary to do the work.

Anyone can do the work with the manuals, but not everyone will be held accountable. Joe's monkey would likely split if his swing arm fell off If a shop will take it, then that should mean they are willing to be held accountable for the work they do.

Speed is relative, but fast is fast.

- 2011 brutale 1090R (Matte pearl white/Black)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotojoe View Post
Blimey Ed . That's one heck of a tool there )
Which one? The wrench or the mechanic...????
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckler View Post
If you've got a favoured mechanic from the closing shop, you might find out where he/she's going. For long term ownership, you could source and purchase many of the special tools and then provide them to the mechanic, along with parts if necessary to do the work.

Anyone can do the work with the manuals, but not everyone will be held accountable. Joe's monkey would likely split if his swing arm fell off If a shop will take it, then that should mean they are willing to be held accountable for the work they do.
Thanks, Ed, Reckler.

Ed: I am betting that being a Ducati dealer, they are reasonably equipped. In fact, they used to sell MVs as well. So, relevant tools could be available. I will be talking to them again this weekend.

Reckler: The closing dealer has been gradually declining for the past year or so. Two co-owners split up. When one owner departed, pretty much all of the experienced techs bailed as well. Couple of inexperienced ones stayed, one of which ended up working on my F4. There has been a number of issues with the quality of work. They weren't selling many bikes. Minneapolis-St.Paul (Minnesota) area is a small market for motorcycles, let alone for Italians. This is a one-marque shop, which isn't gonna work in a small market like this. So, I am not keen on continuing with the inexperienced tech, post-shutdown.

I am hoping that the other dealer agrees to do the work. I am betting on it. I have been scoping out for independent shops as well. But, given that the market is too small, finding a reliable outfit is pretty hard. Will know shortly.

Thanks again everyone. Appreciate it.

cheers. henry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode