RPM and trip meter not working - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

RPM and trip meter not working

I installed HID on my F4 and was very careful not do cut or damage any existing wires. I thought I succeeded in this, but was wrong, here are the problems Iím facing:

When turning the ignition key the rpm goes up and down and all displays are working

When starting the engine, the RPM doesnít work anymore

The starter button which is supposed to become the trip meter and clock control doesnít work, in stead of it tries to start the engine again and is thus functioning as a starter

I double checked everything, from the cable heads from the instrument panel till the connection on the CPU and found nothing wrong.

My question: does anyone knows where the logic is included that controls the starter button (once as starter button and then as trip meter control)?

Is it the RPM sensors that is responsible to tell the unit that the engine is started?

The electric scheme is not detailed enough to figure that out.

Many thanks,

Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahendri
I installed HID on my F4 and was very careful not do cut or damage any existing wires.
First - What happens when you disconnect the HID?
Second - Is it installed with a seperate relay?
Third - The ballast draws a lot of power during the first couple seconds; are you installing with thick enough guage wire?

Tom
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Tom,

When I disconnect the HID I got the same problems.
I used a quite thick wire to connect the balast but didn't use a separate relay, just used the input wire for the original Low Beam to connect to the Balast.

Patrick
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 10:40 AM

which model F4 is it ? where did you locate the ballast ?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahendri
Tom,

When I disconnect the HID I got the same problems.
I used a quite thick wire to connect the balast but didn't use a separate relay, just used the input wire for the original Low Beam to connect to the Balast.

Patrick
Patrick,

You never said; you got the HID (low beam) lit with motor running? Check fuses?

These are all the proverbial "shot in the dark" questions, I hope it's simple - not a computer problem.

Tom

Last edited by TPadden; 09-11-2007 at 10:57 AM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 11:05 AM

As far as I'm aware, the logic controlling the opoeration of the starter button is within the dash. The dash logic uses the tach pulse from the ECU to determine if engine is running or not. The inital tach sweep on power up is part of the dash initialise/test routine and is generated within the dash and not the ECU.

It sounds to me like either the ECU is not generating the tach pulse or you have inadvertantly cut or unplugged the tach pulse/signal cable somewhere along the line. The tach pulse runs on a Grey/Yellow cable from pin 24 of the ECU to pin 16 of the dash.

If it were me, I'd first continuity check the tach pulse/signal cable from pin 24 of the ECU connector to pin 16 of the dash connector. If that checks out, you're going to need to scope the output of the ECU on pin 24, from memory the tach pulse/signal is a 10V square wave.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 11:24 AM

I guess I should ask which ECU? the pins may not be the same, the info above is for the Magneti Marelli 16M ECU.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 11:26 AM

I would suggest we need to be very carefull with these HID kits, my Audi has them as standard and sometimes when the headlights 'fire or strike' up something odd will happen like the heater blower will momentarily stop, my son has after market HID's on his 4WD, Audi TT engined Mk2 Golf, occasionally when the headlights are switched on the engine will just stop! There appear to be some awfull strange high voltage surges present with these lights, I would be wary of fitting them aftermarket

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips, I will start to check. But I agree that the the initial power most be an high load on the power.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

It is a F4 1000 model 2005. I located the HID ballast near the ECU.
This is the type of HID I have installed: http://www.pilotxenon.nl/index3.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode