2005 F4 1000-S 1+1 Vs GSXR 1000 K5 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

2005 F4 1000-S 1+1 Vs GSXR 1000 K5

Hello gang,

I went for a spin last nite on my mate's GSXR 1000 K5, while he hopped on the MV, so we could compare the bikes.

Chassis wise, I found the Suzuki very weird, all wobbly and "soft", moving around a fair bit at (high) speed cornering, while the MV chassis is perfect ! The brakes were better than the MV's (for me) but what surprised me is the engine:

The top end is similar between the 2 bikes, but hell the MV lacks torque in the bottom and midrange compared to the gixxer, I was really surprised ...
To be honest the MV is like a 2 stroke compared to the Suzuki, power rush from 8 grand upwards, but peaky and 750 type bottom end.

Has Suzuki really managed to build such an extraordinary engine, or has my F4 got a problem ? has anyone tried a K5 or K6 gixxer to compare with his/her F4 1000 S ?

thanks all !

Erick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 04:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
Hi Erick,

No it should not be that much different. I have a friend with a K5 and have ridden it many times. If anything my 1000S feels meatier. However I do have a Powercomander, RG3's and a Corse chip, so that may have something to do with it.
I also hear of guys changing to 2 teeth higher on back sprocket as they are geared high. I have never tried that though.
Anyway the closest engine I have found to my S is a Honda but the MV has a stronger top end. The R1 is a revvier beast.
Yes the Gixxer is the strongest Jap engine, but it should not be that pronounced.
Cheers

MVA Sydney
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

hmmmm odd... what's wrong with me bike then...grrrrr.... (Obviously, said mate's claiming the MV's dog slow compared to his bike now...)

My F4 is completely stock, except for the cat-bypass (arrow) and a chip for RG3 pipes (which I don't have but trying to find some)
FYI, the bike feels stronger with that chip fitted than with the OEM chip...

Thanks for the input MVA !
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 05:12 AM

having ridden the gsxr k5-6 1000 i would say imo that this is the bench mark against which all bikes are measured and mostly fail!!!! even people who have the new k7 model say the motor is not as good as the previous bike, this is probably down to meeting emission laws etc i seriously considered having a k6-7 and still am a big suzuki fan , but everybodies got em!!!! + they dont evoke the emotions that mvs do are certainly nowhere near as good looking, are poorly finished and lose value very quickly has i found out on two occasions . the mv engine while very good is not has good as the suzis but then again no ones is!!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripleinside
Has Suzuki really managed to build such an extraordinary engine?
I never rode a K5 or K6, but from what i heard the answer is yes
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 08:07 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
F41000R vs GSXR1000K5

I'm lucky enough to own both of these bikes and I can tell you the F4 is better in the suspension, brakes and overall handleling department but the GSXR engine is more powerfull in every way.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 08:21 AM

My 954 Blade felt stronger in the midrange over the MV.
But the topend rush is something else on the R.

It must be the gearing.

2 teeth on the rear and the acceleration will blow your mind!

07 F41000R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

09 Blazing orange Speedtriple
07 CBR 600RR trackbike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 08:22 AM
MV1

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripleinside
hmmmm odd... what's wrong with me bike then...grrrrr.... (Obviously, said mate's claiming the MV's dog slow compared to his bike now...)

My F4 is completely stock, except for the cat-bypass (arrow) and a chip for RG3 pipes (which I don't have but trying to find some)
FYI, the bike feels stronger with that chip fitted than with the OEM chip...

Thanks for the input MVA !
You have to be really mindful when swapping parts as this almost always has some effect on the state of tune. I did a similar mod on my F4 recently (last week actually) to see if it would help with the exhaust temp situation a bit and the bike feels like it lost at least 10-15Hp on the low to mid level as a result.
In stock form and as recent as just before the swap was made the bike felt killer strong with a powerband from hell and throttle all day , but now the same bike seems to drag off the line and needs to be poked and proded to move forward now.
I never had to give it more than just marginal throttle to get her going nice and strong from any gear. I also noticed that I have to roll the throttle further now with less response, to feel the same effect.
This is another way you can tell you've lost some power, but if you've been riding it with the mod's in place for a while you may not notice it any longer.
All this from a single midpipe swap out mind you.
I'd suggest either get a Power Commander and a good tech to make you a nice custom map, or for the mean time you could experiment a little and put the stock parts back in and see how she runs. I bet you'll be suprised!
The good news is the exhaust seems to be running a bit cooler now.
MV1

Last edited by MV1; 09-11-2007 at 08:33 AM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 08:45 AM

Get your bike sorted there shouldn't be that noticeable difference.

I've ridden a couple of K5's and at the time it was the best engine I felt I had experienced but then thats how I felt when I rode my MV. My bike feels to me like it pulls much like a twin from 3500 but just revs further and I'm running standard gearing.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

definitely noticed a drop in torque after I installed the midpipe, regained some of it by using the RG3 chip; the OEM chip really didn't work with the arrow midpipe, the throttle response was unprecise and sluggish with it.

I think I need the RG3's to get the benefits of the chip and arrow midpipe, what you reckon ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode