Camshaft Problems - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Camshaft Problems

Just taken my F4 1000S for it,s 600 mile service. Turns out both inlet cam lobes on no4 cylinder are badly pitted.The camshaft has got to be replaced and the bike unrideable until it is!.Apparently caused by a manufacturing fault. Although covered by warranty the camshaft is expected to take 3 weeks to arrive, which means i will be without the bike for a month in all probability.
Taken the shine off MV ownership to say the least, i would not have expected this from such a quality machine and leaves me concerned regarding the long term reliability of the bike. I had intended keeping this forever, but now i am not so sure. After all, at £1200 pounds each, plus labour, i should hate for this to happen once the warranty has expired.
I spoke with the customer services department (Three Cross). they don,t seem to be in the least interested regarding the fact i had to get a lift 30 miles home and will have no bike until the riding season is over here in th UK.
I would of thought at the very least they would have given me an extended engine warranty!.
I feel sure that any of the more well known mainstream manufacturers would have done more.
I must stress however that my local MV dealer (Italia of Linoln) have been as helpful as they can be, but there hands are tied.
Has anyone heard of similar problems on other F4s?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 10:36 PM

Here's a link...I am guessing that this may be the problem. If it is then there is nothing to worry about as it is only cosmetic.

http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/2006/10/cam-lobe-marks.html
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link Rockethouse. Yes the marks on my inlet cam or very much like those shown in the pictures. Seems like i may have nothing to worry about after all.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 08:16 AM

Hi john,
I had mine serviced first time and when i picked the bike up they told me the same thing, same problem as yours. Anyway, i look around and found threads similiar to that above and felt a little more comfortable. Now the thing was, the MV dealer that serviced it, put the whole bike back together and then told me. Now, had they told me whilst the head was off then i may have thought about having it changed buit they didnt seem too bothered about it. So i rang DK motorcyles (where i got the bike) and ordered a cam, anyway i rang back several times and they never got one in and if they did they never contacted me. My bike has over 3000 miles and i have thrashed the hell out of it. Its running sweet. i dont think you have too much to worry about at all, and if you wanted to ride out the season then i would say go for it. it seems that the pitting goes so far and then just stops getting any worse. i would be interested in pictures of yours if you can get any.......

Rich
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Established Member

Arrow I had mine replaced

I posted a thread concerning this. See

Bad Camshaft Thread

A local dealer order a new set of camshafts and I had them installed last weekend. It took 2 months to get the replacement camshafts from Italy and have them installed.

I had sort of the same kind of thoughts with respect to quality and MV, but I now think its more of a process flaw and doesn't refect on the overall quality of MVs.

I believe the problem is due to the following: The camshaft lobes are machined when the metal is in an original softer state. Once the machining is done, the lobes have to be hardened. To do this, the surface is impregnated with nitrogen (process is called nitriding). If the metal was hardend first, it would be too hard to grind into the final profile. The problem with our camshafts is that prior to nitriding, the lobes haven't been cleaned properly. Where there is foreign material on the lobe, the nitrogen doesn't make it to the metal and those areas remain soft. So in the end, its an issue with whoever builds the camshafts in that they aren't prepaired correctly.

Senna 1000, 06 zx10r - past 82 kz750, 82 gpz750, 87 1000 ninja, 92 cbr900rr, 2000 cbr929, 03 gsx-r1000
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I have seen some similar marks on some Japanese machine's cams, although only a few times. No problems resulted after many miles, just looks ugly. It would make me nervouse.....but time will tell.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Got the Mv back Monday complete with a new inlet cam..Bike off the road for 6 weeks in total and i was really starting to lose faith with it. BUT... after a 50 mile ride home on twisty roads. All is forgiven. I am hooked again!!!.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns6809
Got the Mv back Monday complete with a new inlet cam..Bike off the road for 6 weeks in total and i was really starting to lose faith with it. BUT... after a 50 mile ride home on twisty roads. All is forgiven. I am hooked again!!!.
I'm pleased for you but again dismayed at the after service that MV and 3X provide, its just not good enough

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Ball & Chain magnet

Send a message via Yahoo to Djester
I thought those were oil saturation cups??? They are supposed to help the oil keep in contact with the cam, thus they **specially** made the "oil cups".... not pits
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 02:12 PM

how do u guys solve this problem ? is it covered under waranty ? does this happen to the newer bikes ?

If its under waranty does the replacement will have the same effect ??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode