5K RPM surge and heat problem solved - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Talking 5K RPM surge and heat problem solved

Ok. There are a lot of people who have issue with the inconsistent and surge motor at 5K and below and the heat problem below 3K. I finally track down a MV engineer and consulted him about the problem. He looked puzzled at me and asked why was I lugging the motor so low and slow, it is not a diesel motor.
He then promptly turned around, hopped on his RD 350 and sped off.
Ride it like a 'Due Tempi' and you will get it.

Tree
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 05:07 PM
Established Member

I will have to agree with the MV Engineer in one way. Yes, if you ride the stripes off of it, it is a pleasure to ride. No doubt about it. But that kind of riding is pretty much track only, unless you don't value your life all that much when riding on the street.

With regards to "in traffic / city street riding", everyone here will pretty much agree that below 5k the MV doesn't do much other than surge, hesitate, or what ever else you like to call bad fueling / timing / advance, etc.

Less we all forgo the toasted nut analogies due to the crazy high engine temps at low speed.

It would just be nice to ride the MV any way we want, and not have a sweat soaked ass while doing so.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 10:28 AM

My MV is smooth throughout the rev range. On and off throttle and low rpms might be snatchy but a careful right hand and that problem gets alleviated. No flat spots no nothing. Pulls like a freight train.

2007 Senna #148/300
2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Thank You!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suryad View Post
My MV is smooth throughout the rev range. On and off throttle and low rpms might be snatchy but a careful right hand and that problem gets alleviated. No flat spots no nothing. Pulls like a freight train.
Yes. If your wrist is limp, you are going to have a struggle controlling it below 5k. This is an all effort, all focus motorcycle. I think the F3 was getting the same bad press about low down fueling. I think they developed it with one intent, THEN tried to have it meet some street needs. Yes. There are bikes out there with good down low fueling/rideability, but those builders aren't addressing the same crowd.
Whiners
Wanna-be's
Get some tension in your wrist and stop blaming the builders.

Tree
6k all day
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 12:16 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeMV #2 View Post
Yes. If your wrist is limp, you are going to have a struggle controlling it below 5k. This is an all effort, all focus motorcycle. I think the F3 was getting the same bad press about low down fueling. I think they developed it with one intent, THEN tried to have it meet some street needs. Yes. There are bikes out there with good down low fueling/rideability, but those builders aren't addressing the same crowd.
Whiners
Wanna-be's
Get some tension in your wrist and stop blaming the builders.

Tree
6k all day

Its no so much that I blame the builders, it is definitely a focused bike, and should be ridden as such. I love riding the bike 6k+ all day!

The only issue as you say is the "limp wrist". 100% true!

But after a few hundred miles of California coastal twisties at 50 - 100km/h, with numb fingers, and tiredness sets in, it can get to be a little annoying having to baby the throttle so much.

The electronics today definitely have the capability to make the bike more ride-able down low if the engineers so choose to spend the time getting it right. If the Jap bikes, and Duc's can do it, so can MV. Somewhere along the line, they just choose not to do so.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 02:04 PM

Mine´s not giving any particular snatchy fuelling, but maybe because I have the comp. ECU. Before buying this one, I tried one that was just like it comes from the shop, and it was snatchy, yes. Still, it convinced me straight away to buy the one I have now!!

Also, we get used to it and it´s not a problem anymore, isn´t it?

Today, temperature outside was around 38ºC, and on the traffic light I easily got to 106ºC (well, not me, her!) but now I stopped worrying too much - as long as it doesn´t start blinking, I´m fine with that. I´m sure you transmit your worryness to the bike and she gets nervous about it and heats up!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck View Post
Its no so much that I blame the builders, it is definitely a focused bike, and should be ridden as such. I love riding the bike 6k+ all day!

The only issue as you say is the "limp wrist". 100% true!

But after a few hundred miles of California coastal twisties at 50 - 100km/h, with numb fingers, and tiredness sets in, it can get to be a little annoying having to baby the throttle so much.

The electronics today definitely have the capability to make the bike more ride-able down low if the engineers so choose to spend the time getting it right. If the Jap bikes, and Duc's can do it, so can MV. Somewhere along the line, they just choose not to do so.
Agreed, but I am a big advocate of non-nanny electronic motorsports
But that is just me, being stuck in the wrong era:-)

TreeMV
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 09:28 AM

I had all these years the MV Corse RG3 ECU, so the 5K RPM surge was cured but not solved. Lately I fitted an PC properly mapped. Much, much better (OK not like a V2, but better).

I fitted also the water pump impeller upgrade from MV. Huge improvement, from 114C down to 97C, now in summer down town Athens. You notice it from the cooling fans too, they are working almost never.
I have tried also the impeller marketed from Design Corse, little difference. If yes, then the one from MV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 12:03 PM

Found a pic of the dyno graph of my Senna. Thought I would share it on this thread. I don't know how to read graphs that well and this one only showed the hp. Wish they had put the torque on there as well. I have the race ecu and I guess the tech was able to modify some things here and there...his words. Feels quite smooth to me every single time I ride. Feels a bit scary in fact lol. Still not used to how brutal the bike can be

2007 Senna #148/300
2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode