f4 newbie - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

f4 newbie

I have long dreamt of owning a F4 S 750.
Id like to educate myself more before purchasing.
I like the idea of owning a model as early as possible. I believe the first of the 750 S was 1999/2000.

Were there any particular problems for this model?

Are there any major services at a particular KM that I should factor into when looking at bikes?

Is there a particular model out of all the F4 models over the years that is considered more collectable then another?

Thanks in advance
L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 06:21 AM

Welcome lozdog.

There is the later EVO, a bit more power. There are also the Senna and SPR 750 models, these 2 are more desirable.

If you go for the early model look for 2 radiators. Ideally you will find one with the second one added.

Mine and other 750's overheat below 30mph, you can see the scorch marks and split in the lower fairing, I've spotted pics of owners bikes on this forum with the same marks. In the city my bike ran crap at 106C Cheapest option is a manual fan switch, or if you can get your ECU to allow the fans on early. I switch my fan on as soon as I go 30mph or less, and this works very well. The problem is there is not enough air flow into the fairing below 30mph.
Make sure your heat shielding is good, and possibly extend it.

The rear brake will fade badly from the heat of the pipes, cheapest fix is to use good heat shielding for all of it, the reservoir and master cylinder and the brake lines, also use a brake fluid with a high boiling point.

The rear hubs are prone to failure, do not pressure wash the bike, do not over tighten the 2 pinch bolts, set the chain tension correct to the manual, not to tight or slack. Get the rear hub fully serviced so you know where you are starting from. Or if you want complete piece of mind replace the hub with a Mitchy's, or Design corse hub.

Apart from the above my 2000 model 750 F4 S has been good. Got her at 8,000 miles four yrs ago, now on nearly 16,000 miles.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

thanks, ill keep that in mind
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 11:24 AM

Yeah look into my registry of the F4S, I summarized all issues there.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 06:12 PM

The only major service issue is the valve clearances, something like 16,000 miles, someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm having mine done at the end of this year. Some dealers who should do it early on in it's life don't bother as they argue they never need doing. If you care about your bike you'll get it done. Besides this I have not met any service expenses out of the ordinary.

Don't forget that if you go for a bike that has been sitting unused for ages(there's quite a few MV's with very low mileages)then there will be quite a check list for you, ie battery, tyres, the fuel filter, lines, etc. Typically anything that effects a bike just sat for ages.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys, much appreciated

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode