05 1000s temperature issue - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
05 1000s temperature issue

Hey Guys,

Now I know this thread has been covered before, so please don't bite my head off. Recently I did some maintainece and parts replacement on my 05. I placed the radiator with a new one, some fins were bent on the original from normal wear/tear riding, I also replaced the air filter with a BMC filter, put on a set of RG3 and decat midpipe. Lastly replaced the stock eprom with a FBF eprom.

Now that all this is done when the bike is on and even in motion my temperature just keeps climbing. I started her up let her warm up for a few mins, then took her for a ride around the block doing about 45mph the whole time and my temp stayed at 219F. I'm not sure what might cause this. The bike ran perfectly before. Any suggestions would be helpful.

One thing I think it might be is the eprom or the coolant. Not sure though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 12:58 PM

I'd make sure I plugged the fans in correctly after the swap and that they are functioning correctly.

2009 F4 RR 1078 312
2005 F4 Tamboweenie
2005 F4 1000S
1999 Aprilia RS50
1996 Ducati 916
1959 MV Agusta TREL 125 Centomila

PAST - 2013 F4RR, 2008 F4 312R, 2005 F4 1000S, 1999 F4 750 S
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Ok. I'll check. Another side note when I turn the bike off the fans come on and cool the bike down.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 06:03 PM

Fans should turn off when bike is off. I think your fans are confused. Can you elaborate?

2009 F4 RR 1078 312
2005 F4 Tamboweenie
2005 F4 1000S
1999 Aprilia RS50
1996 Ducati 916
1959 MV Agusta TREL 125 Centomila

PAST - 2013 F4RR, 2008 F4 312R, 2005 F4 1000S, 1999 F4 750 S
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 06:19 PM

New Site Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Arthur View Post
Fans should turn off when bike is off. I think your fans are confused. Can you elaborate?
Depending on the model, and what he means when saying he turned the bike off. If you turned it off at the "run" switch, on some models the fan's will keep going. If you turn the ignition off, then all should be dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobraking00 View Post
Ok. I'll check. Another side note when I turn the bike off the fans come on and cool the bike down.
You have air in your system, read some more.
What do you mean when you say the fans come on when you turn the bike off, don't they run when the bike is running.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 07:27 PM
Established Member

Nature of the beast that these bikes run hot.
With that said, I believe it is normal for the fans to remain on for a short while after walking away from the bike. Even my car does that sometimes. Your best options are probably in this order:
1. Microtec ECU (rumor has it that this will change when the fans turn on and one or two other tweaks that will make running temps lower)
2. Fan switch (so you can turn the fans on at any moment, i.e. traffic stop and go)
3. Engine Ice / Water Wetter
4. Upgraded pump
5. Upgraded fans for better flow
6. Ceramic coat exhaust
7. Vented fairings
8. Don't start the bike.

I've spent a chunk of change on trying to cool the bike, granted I live in south Texas. Either way it is what it is.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 07:32 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [MV]Parker View Post
8. Don't start the bike.

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Just to make it clear, Donsy is correct its when I turn the bike off at the run switch. And I think I found the problem. First the fan didn't have a good connection and I noticed that the coolant was low. I filled it up with a gallon plus and the coolant reservoir was full, I guess when I put the bike under a load it circulated it and wasnt enough.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 09:46 PM
Established Member

Wow, yeah a gallon + of more coolant will do it.
When I change out coolant, I'll fill to the line, rock the bike back and forth while on it, start it up for a few seconds with the cap off, turn off and check the line for a refill. Repeat as necessary with a short ride in between.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 02:13 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [MV]Parker View Post
Nature of the beast that these bikes run hot.
With that said, I believe it is normal for the fans to remain on for a short while after walking away from the bike. Even my car does that sometimes.

No MV does this.

Your best options are probably in this order:
1. Microtec ECU (rumor has it that this will change when the fans turn on and one or two other tweaks that will make running temps lower)

Not a rumour, fact.

2. Fan switch (so you can turn the fans on at any moment, i.e. traffic stop and go)

Great mod

I've spent a chunk of change on trying to cool the bike, granted I live in south Texas. Either way it is what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobraking00 View Post
I filled it up with a gallon plus and the coolant reservoir was full.
And now you overfilled it

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode