Hands off! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Smile Hands off!

I am a relatively new member to the forum although followed it for months before getting the F4R.....

I am a little phased by what it appears should and shouldn't be done by the owner........The handbook states that I should return to the dealer to have the chain tensioned even. I am used to doing all the routine maintenance myself and would consider it inconvenient to have to run to the dealer all the time. Or will it affect the warranty if I do anything but clean it??

I must admit that supplying a 'C' wrench to alter rear preload but not suppyling the special tool to alter chain tension seems a little of change in priorities for me, as far as what any new bike is supplied standard.

Would the forum consider that I should be doing any of this at all?

I read something on the forum about no F4R workshop manuals being available but can't find the thread. Can anyone expand further on what manuals there are? The dealer says the manual for the F4R engine and frame is the same as for the forerunners and yet I thought the 'R' had a radical shake up?

Any tips on improving the rear brake?

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 07:10 AM

Congrats and welcome. The C wrench is to adjust the hub for the rear wheel not for the preload!

You need a torque wrench if your going to adjust the chain (the torque wrench is for the two bolts on the swing arm).I can see where the dealer is comming from, if you over or under tighten the two rear bolts you can damage the rear hub.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 07:19 AM

Thumbs up

Welcome Tyke

The rear brake is actually the way it should be,if you make it too strong you run the risk of locking the rear in an emergency and losing control.
Its really just to allow a little more braking,those front calipers should give you all you need.

07 F41000R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

09 Blazing orange Speedtriple
07 CBR 600RR trackbike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 08:25 AM
Smile

Hi Tyke, depending on how mechanically competent and confident you are determines what maintenance you should do yourself IMO. From what you have said I would do the chain myself, its quite straighforward as minime says you need a torque wrench for the two bolts that allow the eccentric cam to turn and therefore tighten/loosen your chain, just make sure your respect the torque figure when re-tightening 28 - 32 Nm I believe it is.

I see you are located at Darlo, not that far from me, it would be nice to meet up sometime.

Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

It's getting clearer....

Thanks already! I've managed to get my head round this eccentric hub! I must have misread the preload bit somewhere...that makes much more sense! Pity they don't give the procedure and torque settings in the owner's manual, if it's critical.

Great to meet up sometime John, where are you in East Riding?

I'm thinking of doing the Owners GB trackday at Cadwell in August anyone else going from the forum in the UK? Last time I was there was on the GSX-R on a fantastic day, a great track! Still bonding with the F4R but I love it and would like a blat around a track! (if it looks like it will be dry)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode