MV Agusta Forum banner

Untill another day

7K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  esq'z me 
#1 ·
Cannot tell you the feeling of seeing her go. This was my first big bike and I consider myself lucky to have had her. Devastated at this moment that it came down to this but under stressful circumstances I had to sell her off. Happy that she has gone to a good home and will be well looked after.
Dint know where else to share this and would like to thank all here to have made it such a wonderful journey of ownership and to share it with this amazing forum. Feels like I have a family here and its seems to be more than the bikes we ride. Until another day and another ride I will be lurking around.
Some of the people that I would like to mention as they go out of their way to help other. Theknurl, CAG, Donsy, Ed (esq'z me) randy, chuck (silent service). Thanks a lot guys.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Sarge, just 'cause the bike is gone, doesn't mean you should go.

Stick around and we'll drag you back in.....:smoking:

(Thanks for the recognition, BTW:yo:)

#7 ·
Thanks guys and like I said "Feels like I have a family here and it seems to be more than the bikes we ride"
Chuck, I have been to the states just once and remember speaking to you when I was in New jersey. I drove down to Fast by Ferraci but unfortunately our timings dint match. I wish I had some more time and would have come to see you as I was so close then. The place seems so far away now. Anyway there should be a next time.

BG Wells, I do hope this is temporary, Unfortunately its been downhill the last 2 yrs. Thankfully I have my hands and legs intact now I just wish I had half your skills :smoking: :naughty:

#10 ·
Hey guys, Hope all are in good health. With all that's happening around us it seems the world is not the same. Time does not stop for anything even if this world seems to have stopped due to the virus, my thoughts & prayers go out to all that are struggling around the world and hope the world comes out of this with a better understanding of humanity and nature.

For some weird reason I have gone and done this and I cant explain it to myself why? It seems to be sinking in very slowly that she is now mine. Maybe the reason is that I have been at home since the bike was bought and this outbreak had just hit the fan.

Kept eying the F3 . Nearly pulled the trigger on an F4 2014 RR salvaged but was out of my price range and I have somewhat been struggling since 2014 but now I suddenly felt its ok and I just need a bike any bike yes I want the 1090 RR but then it was again out of my reach figured 1R was better and nothing at all and this was the first one with an insane price, sounds to good to be true. He made me an offer I could not refuse.

So a few observations.

I know the blue keeps hurting my eyes and have no idea why the previous owner went thru the trouble to paint the radiator covers and some of these parts blue. Not sure would like to see it in black or silver. Suggestions please.

This bikes much roomier than the previous one but the welds on the exhaust are just horrible, I see more of the pipes and cables than the previous model but the beautiful engine and most of the beauty is retained. It does have a slip on exhaust, but that's it and seems to run richer and am not sure there is a race ecu to go with the slip on. Would love to get a mid pipe on it but the header and cat seems to be one pc. not sure I can get just a mid-pipe on this one.

Bike is a 2014 1090R has nearly 16k kms on it and has just been serviced by the previous owner. Not sure what all was done but he claimed to have changed the air filter the spark plugs and coolant (which was overflowing when the temp rose while I went to see the bike, does not do it now) What needs to be checked at this stage. Tried to look up the manual but could not use the links so if some one can point me to the correct direction it will be much appreciated. It comes with the 2 keys and a code card and that's it. He was the second owner and has no idea what else actually came with the bike. All I could understand it that it was actually registered in 2017 by the first owner and passed on to the next guy with only the keys and code card. He was having a starting issue and so had it serviced and now seems to be fine and assumes the starting issue was due to the spark plugs. There is no starting issue at the moment.

The clutch seems to behave funny on low speeds and makes loud clicks specially on deceleration. I know most feel the MV's to have a snatchy throttle, however I never had a problem with the 750, infact I loved the quick response from the throttle. But this one is a bit nuts especially at low speeds going into a round about and trying to open the throttle makes me nervous and wants me to pull the clutch in and release it slowly. Getting it off the line from standstill is not a problem at all in fact is quite a lovely feeling and in sports mode the front wheel wants to get of the tarmac which became evident the first time I gave it some gas.....got scared and laughed like a mad man at the same time, so its now in normal mode till I get used to the clutch and power. Still not sure what to make of the clicking sound on the clutch. Wonder if the chain is tight.

Went out for a long ride and the feeling was so nice to be back in the saddle again. yes yes ... this is what was missing in life and as usual you cruise around and then the need for speed took over, decided to gun her a bit and drop her into fourth and let her free. Wow OMG this is madness, scared again and then I was grinning like a kid again and then noticed the dash. WTF the abs and I assume its the side stand light comes on WHYYYYYYYYY. hahahaha the love of MV's..... this stays on till I get to a stop, switch off and restart and its gone ???? I ride off then tempted again I gun it and again the lights come on. What the *@#@, now wonder if the price was so low cause he just wanted to get rid of it with no dealership here and if there are other issues, hehehehehe the fear of owning an MV hahahaha pleasure and pain all over again, so this goes away on restart and wont come on if I ride in a civilized manner. I haven't been around here except sometimes just to check on the guys I have come to like as family. So haven't been reading much on the new gen bikes, I tried to check if I could find anything close to this issue and all I could find was a thread regarding the warning light coming on but ain't sure what this is. Anyone have suggestions.

Breaks are a bit soft surprisingly, actually very surprisingly.
Leave the accelerator and engine breaking seems like I am actually applying the breaks.
Never had a bike with TC or ABS, any recommended settings for these.

I bit worried as usual. I pulled the trigger on just a gut feeling as the bike felt pretty good in the test ride, let me know if I should have any concerns and what would be the things I should check, any ecu updates I should have, how can I know what ECU I have. Cant wait to swing a leg over again.

From what I understand these are more sorted out bikes than ever before but would like to know if these year models had any concerns etc. Feels good to be back in the saddle and hope to enjoy this bike like the previous bikes I have owned. It may sound Like I am here complaining but actually I am just trying to share my happiness with you guys.

Attachments

#11 ·
Welcome home Sarge !!!
The clicking in the clutch may be the normal slipper clutch action.
If you are carrying the front wheel in the air and it stops turning the ABS light will come on....and not turn off until you stop. Could that be what is happening? Make sure your front brake pads aren't dragging. Don't think it is the side stand switch...the engine would stop running if that was the case.
You will need headers and mid pipe to be rid of the cat...any year model should fit. Cruiser in New Zealand did a study on this.....search his posts for details.
Strip that blue paint off.!!!

Reactions: Sarge
#14 ·
Welcome home Sarge !!!
The clicking in the clutch may be the normal slipper clutch action.
If you are carrying the front wheel in the air and it stops turning the ABS light will come on....and not turn off until you stop. Could that be what is happening? Make sure your front brake pads aren't dragging. Don't think it is the side stand switch...the engine would stop running if that was the case.
You will need headers and mid pipe to be rid of the cat...any year model should fit. Cruiser in New Zealand did a study on this.....search his posts for details.
Strip that blue paint off.!!!
Hey Ed,
I don't think the R has the slipper clutch from what I have read so far and was available for the RR only, but do correct me if I am wrong.
The ABS light came on when accelerating hard from 4 th gear and upwards not sure when the light came on but the front wheel was not off the ground.
I assumed the same, if the side stand light comes on it should have cut off the engine. I will take a better look on which light comes on along with the ABS and if possible take a picture and check the brake pads.
What happens if I ride with the ABS light on?
Strip the blue paint off with a paint stripper ?

#16 ·
If the ABS light is on then the ABS system will not function. Just normal brakes. Probably one of the wheel sensors is causing this. Maybe mechanical mounting, like too far from the ring on the wheel???

I am not certain on the clutch. Someone else chime in ??

Reactions: kingwilliams
#17 ·
Granted this sis the 2013 MY; I doubt things changed in 2014 MY:

#19 ·
Thanks Chuck, so no slipper clutch then.
It sounds like the clutch dis-engages and re-engages with clicking sound mostly while deceleration. I still haven't ridden the bike much but a friend had a ride and felt the same thing.
Anyone has a sound clip of the noise the slipper clutch makes?

#20 ·
I can “feel” the click on the slipper clutch on my 1090RR more than I can hear it. When I pull in the clutch lever, there is a distinct “click” felt. It can be worse or better depending on the state of the oil and clutch fluid.

#22 ·
The click normally has to do with the position the "ramps" come to rest in after pulling to a stop.
So, No slipper clutch.... wonder if you are hearing chain noise?? Inspected the chain for tight spots or kinks?

I guess those blue radiator covers aren't metal like the 1st generation??? I fear using a paint stripper may damage the plastic. Maybe best thing would be to just respray with silver or black .... or whatever color YOU like.

#23 ·
So on a closer look its the abs light and the one blow the side stand light.
What could be the reason.

First photo is the starting point and the abs light goes off once I start moving. When I cross the 150 - 170 km/ph mark the abs light comes on with the other light below the side stand in pic 2.
Pic 3 is after the light comes on and the side stand is down just as a ref.

How can I get my hands on the owners/service manuals.

Still haven't figured out the click on the clutch but a few rides on the saddle and it seems its more when ridding in low speeds on 2 & 3 gear. Chain on a visual inspection seems to be fine. As per the sticker the slack of 50 mm also seems to be fine, might be close to 48 - 50 mm. Its a bit difficult to check alone. What is the correct method to check the chain slack. Can it be checked when the bike is on the side stand or needs to be straight up, or one needs to be seated while taking the measurement.
Damn I miss the factory rear stand😁

So the plastic with blue has two options. Paint or body sticker. Stickers seems to be an easier option but will the radiator heat be a concern? Anyone tried this?

Attachments

#24 ·
Measure chain slack on the rear wheel stand. You need you buy a stand. The factory stand isn't all that great anyway.

I think that second light is the "Malfunction Indicator Lamp" (also known as the "check engine" light) which indicates a Detected Trouble Code has been created in the OBD system.
I will bet it is a wheel speed sensor and the diagnostic software would show the stored code. But since it only happens at high speed it is likely the positioning of the sensor to the wheel ring, and not a bad sensor itself. Maybe also just a poor connection from the sensor to the harness.

Did you check Donsy's web site for the manuals??

By the way, where in the world are you?? Not in your profile and I am having a hard time recognizing the flag on your avatar.

#26 ·
Are you in Qatar now? I think the flags populate based on IP addresses.
Not sure Donsy's site has the 2014 info but I'm attaching a Quick Guide I have, and a DropBox link for the workshop manual.

Attachments

#28 ·
Hey ed,
Thanks a lot, that great. Wonder if there us also a users manual. BTW Donsy's website still works but I cant see an owners manual for the 1090 B4

Yes have been in Qatar since 2015. Quite like this place actually having been in 3 of the GCC countries now, but with the oil prices having crashed not sure how long ill last. But if I stick around and you ever feel like visiting once this situation clears, you have a place to stay and a Brutale at your disposal.

Below pic, point number 6 states

Engine oil pressure warning light (red)
"It turns on when the engine exceeds 11600 rpm"

Note sure at what rpm the light came on and the oil level seems fine. Trying to see how I can get my hands on the OBD to check the error code if any.
Watch Font Vehicle Auto part Dive computer

#27 ·
Hi Sarge, last year I brought a 2014 1090 Brutale with no R's. I also thought the throttle was very snatchy until I found out the bike has two fuel maps and I had the sports one loaded :rolleyes: After loading the second map, via the dash (read very fiddly) the bike was transformed and much nicer to ride :)

#30 ·
So after a bit of searching..... unfortunately there is no more a dealership here and so had to ask the pervious dealer to help with the computer check but after hooking her up no code showed up on the computer. Can't figure it out.... shouldnt the error have been stored on the ecu?

They even checked the chain which seems to be fine although a little dry and maybe at 47-48 mm and not at exact 50mm. Should this be loosened? Stupid question but does lubing the chain affect the slack?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.