F4R Wouldn't Start - Battery? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

F4R Wouldn't Start - Battery?

Hey guys - weather combined with busy schedule led to not riding for about 10 days. Does the F4 have a high power draw not being started and rode regularly? I doubt the flashing LED draws much power. The bike is only 2 months old meaning Iíve only had it two months. Itís a 2012 and the owner of the dealership claimed they'd put in a new battery but it wouldnít be the first time he lied or didnít follow through on something. When I went to start it the dash and all lights looked as bright as usual but the starter would only turn over for Ĺ a second and then stop. I didnít notice any dimming of the dash or lights while attempting to start. I hooked a charger up to the battery for a few minutes and it fired right up with the charger attached. I then let it warm up for 5 minutes, shut it off and it fired right back up.

I find it very hard to believe itís the battery if it truly is only 2 months old. Any easy way to check aside from continuing to use it and hope it doesnít strand me or should I just replace it?

If the dealership didnít replace it I could understand it being the battery because I would assume it sat for weeks or months at a time without being charged. Any particular brand you'd recommend?

I guess after it sits all day while I'm working Iíll know for sure.

2012 F4R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 08:57 AM
Established Member

Are the bike on the side stand? If so, try to put a piece of rubber material under the stand so it don't touch the ground.

Not sure about replacing it, but the recommended one appears to be the yausa.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 09:09 AM

Those batteries can indeed drain enough in ten days to prevent starting, (especially if you have an alarm fitted.) The standard immobiliser circuitry is always active.

The battery supplied in my MY10 F4 was actually defective. It would lose enough charge to stop a full crank over within only a few minutes. The Yuasa the dealership replaced it with has been fine ever since. (Though it does discharge in 7-10 days.)

Also, once those batteries deep discharge, they're never the same again. I doubt 10 days is enough to do permanent damage though.

It's annoying how it only cranks for half a turn when the battery's low. I've been in that situation myself. It probably does it to prevent an undesired electrical situation, like too high a current draw or something.

Si
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks guys! If it starts after work I suppose I should be good. Sound like I'll toss the battery tender on it if it's going to sit for more than a few days. The bike is 100% stock so no aftermarket alarms or anything.

2012 F4R
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Well I decided to check at lunch and apparently the battery is shot. Same 1/2 second try and then nothing. Is it possible for a 2 month old battery to completely die in 10 days?

2012 F4R
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seismic View Post
Well I decided to check at lunch and apparently the battery is shot. Same 1/2 second try and then nothing. Is it possible for a 2 month old battery to completely die in 10 days?
If it is a lead acid battery it should be kept charged up. If left in a discharged state then the plates sulfate and knacker it up.

It looks like you have pioneered the knowledge on how long..Try a long slow charge with a proper motorcycle charger...

Then check your cable connections are tight and clean.

Joe
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 02:22 PM
Formerly - dagmvagusta

Had the same problem on my 2012. The stock yusa battery sucks!! I purchased a shorai lfx ba-12 lithium battery and the charger to go with it. Have had it for a year or so and keep it on the charger when not riding including long winter period and she fires right up every time.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

"In the middle of difficulty lies OPPORTUNITY!"
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

My last ride 10 days ago was over 2 hours long so I know it was as charged as it could get. I'll try tossing it on my microprocessor automatic charger overnight but I'm going to go buy a new battery tonight in case. Very hard to believe a 2 month old battery would die completely in 10 days of inactivity.

2012 F4R
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Formerly - dagmvagusta

I wouldn't bank on the battery being only 2 months old and even if it was if it was not charged properly and then fully discharged that can damage those cells. I have ridden for damn near 8 hours on mine and it fires right up

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

"In the middle of difficulty lies OPPORTUNITY!"
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 02:24 PM

New Site Garage
defective battery comes to mind. Any brand of bat can fail if discharged completely multiple times or left discharged for more than several weeks. sulfation sets in over time if left discharged. replace battery first is cheapest solution and maintain charge on it if left sitting more than a month. If it drained in 10 days, I think the battery is gone and dealer lied. If there is alarm system, then need to measure drain on it as its the only other thing that can cause key off discharge, its the only thing added to the bike so that should be the other possible cause.

'14 F4 RR ABS Pearly White/ Deep Black (13K miles still rolling, Haha!)
'13 Panigale S ABS (18.5K miles SOLD)
'15 Panigale R (2K miles)
'15 Fireblade SP (1K miles)
Los Angeles North

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode