1st-time MV Agusta owner? - MVAgusta.net
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 10
1st-time MV Agusta owner?

Hello all.

I think I am about to take the plunge.

I love this marque, and her history. I am about ready to buy.

After years of owning great, but still less "passionate" motorcycles, I think I am ready to finally buy an F4. I am sick of seeing "me" riding by every week.

I don't need to wax why I am interested in an F4...we all know what makes these motorcycles so special.

I have some questions:

1) Am I to understand that every time I adjust my chain, I have to have the bike aligned?

2) Is the cooling issue solved? Is the sidestand angle solved? Is the rear tailsection subframe issue solved? The cylinder #3 failure? The rear wheel hub bearing? Is the heat-shielding staying on the motorcycle now? Any outstanding weak points on the 2012+ F4 bikes?

3) I am interested in working on this motorcycle myself...does MV make it impossible for the shade-tree mechanic?

4) Does MV stand behind their product?--I called the U.S. distributor, who was nice, but seemed very uninterested in answering any questions.

5) What is ownership like? Will this motorcycle be in the shop every month getting "corrected/tuned"? Please be honest.

I'm not expecting a Honda, but I don't want to wait on my dealer to finish scratching his head. My closest dealer is Moto Ducati/MV Agusta in Austin, Texas.

6) How is the fit and finish? How does these motorcycles "age"? Are they like BMW automobiles, falling apart after a few years? I plan on splurging on an F4 and keeping it for a decade or more---mostly for street riding and the odd track day.

7) My main concern is that I don't want to spend $23k on a motorcycle and spend no time riding it.

I have been reading the forums for the past couple of months now, and I am grateful for any additional insights any F4 owners can provide.

I thank you all for your time and help.

I hope to be prepared when I buy my F4.
IneedAnF4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 06:15 AM
Senior Member
 
R1andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 7,640
New Site Garage
1) No
2) I can not speak on the new bikes
3) No
4) Yes
5) I have only had my bike in the shop 1 time and that was for the valves adjustment. Everything else I have fixed. Some of them were caused me during other projects.
6) They hold up great. Fit and finish was better on the pre2010 models.
7) You will not regret it.
R1andrew is offline  
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 10:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Fragile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 661
New Site Garage
Hi buddy, get a new one and make sure it is right before you take her home. You'll spend half your time looking at your new baby, and the remainder of your time thinking if you want to age her by riding. Then you'll be overcome with wanting to experience her, and actually go for a ride. Then your hooked, and you will go to any length to be able to ride her and maintain her. At that point you will know that it is all worth it. Just do it! IMO
I can't speak for my MV, too new, but have every expectation that it will last just like my Duc, which have given me 0 issues since new. Maintenance is key, however. You have to be able to check the small bits and have to be careful as with operating any mechanical device, its up to you how far she'll go

'14 F4 RR ABS Pearly White/ Deep Black (13K miles still rolling, Haha!)
'13 Panigale S ABS (18.5K miles SOLD)
'15 Panigale R (2K miles)
'15 Fireblade SP (1K miles)
Los Angeles North

Last edited by Fragile; 05-06-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Fragile is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 10
Thank you both, very much for your comments!

How does MV, in your experience stand by its products? Does it honor its warranty?

Specific examples, please?

Does anyone else have any thoughts relating to ownership/living with an F4? The care and feeding of the F4? The strengths and weaknesses of the F4?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Thank you all again!
IneedAnF4 is offline  
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 12:31 PM
New Member
 
Lotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sweden, Halland, Haverdal
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by IneedAnF4 View Post
Thank you both, very much for your comments!

How does MV, in your experience stand by its products? Does it honor its warranty?

Specific examples, please?

Does anyone else have any thoughts relating to ownership/living with an F4? The care and feeding of the F4? The strengths and weaknesses of the F4?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Thank you all again!
Right. A specific example would be me. I am not saying that this is typical behaviour, but my experience on MV warranty so far is this:
No.

I bought a -12 F4R from Italy last spring. March actually.
It was a demo bike with 1700 kms. I used this some days. Come April 27th -13, the engine breaks down at 2840 kms. So, I called a dealer. He just said it is imported, so I will not touch it. So far it was my decision to import the bike. I can not blame MV for a dealers thinking.

However, I found a dealer/workshop, willing to do the work, provided I fill in what MV does not pay. No problem I thought. That was in August -13.

Today the following situation exists: MV has for the fourth time asked for the documentation to be sent to them, including my papers on the bike and the pictures of internal damage to the engine. It is in need of a new engine..too much internal damage.
Authorized MV dealer says it should be warranty. MV importer says it is warranty. MV says in a mail that it is warranty, and it should not be a problem.
Now, MV does not reply to my e-mails anymore.
Dealer and Importer says MV has to give a go-ahead, but they do not get any answers either.

So, my experience of MV warranty is: No. This goes for Europe. Hopefully US warranty works better.
Yes, all my papers are in order. Yes, it has been ridden carefully. Still doing break-in..

It was nice to ride.. all the 1120 kms I managed before it broke down. 1 year ago..
Lotek is offline  
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 01:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Smoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 481
I am looking at 2 MVs (Brutales) and I have some of the same concerns as the OP. I have been doing a lot of reading through the forum lately and I am surprised at how many issues seem to pop up within the first 500 miles of ownership (especially with fueling/mapping). It looks like their product confirmation testing is a little weak but they are quick to respond with a countermeasure to fix the issue. Otherwise their bikes seem to hold up extremely well long term.

I guess I've been spoiled because I have a Honda that is 7 years old and has never had an issue. To me it comes down to the owner and the maintenance they do on their bike. Plus I work for a major automotive manufacturer so I understand how difficult it is to have 0% failures in the market. I look forward to seeing what some of the other responses are.
Smoker is offline  
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Fragile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 661
New Site Garage
I paid near full price for my baby and intend to take care of it as such. If there is a warranty issue that is tied to defect, I expect them to make right or I will take any and all legal and commercial action to ensure fair treatment. I will say however, I believe their build quality is excellent in the small amount of time that I have experienced this one. Meticulous crafting is claimed on their engine build. I am confident this bike is as reliable as my duc

'14 F4 RR ABS Pearly White/ Deep Black (13K miles still rolling, Haha!)
'13 Panigale S ABS (18.5K miles SOLD)
'15 Panigale R (2K miles)
'15 Fireblade SP (1K miles)
Los Angeles North
Fragile is offline  
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotek View Post
Right. A specific example would be me. I am not saying that this is typical behaviour, but my experience on MV warranty so far is this:
No.

I bought a -12 F4R from Italy last spring. March actually.
It was a demo bike with 1700 kms. I used this some days. Come April 27th -13, the engine breaks down at 2840 kms. So, I called a dealer. He just said it is imported, so I will not touch it. So far it was my decision to import the bike. I can not blame MV for a dealers thinking.

However, I found a dealer/workshop, willing to do the work, provided I fill in what MV does not pay. No problem I thought. That was in August -13.

Today the following situation exists: MV has for the fourth time asked for the documentation to be sent to them, including my papers on the bike and the pictures of internal damage to the engine. It is in need of a new engine..too much internal damage.
Authorized MV dealer says it should be warranty. MV importer says it is warranty. MV says in a mail that it is warranty, and it should not be a problem.
Now, MV does not reply to my e-mails anymore.
Dealer and Importer says MV has to give a go-ahead, but they do not get any answers either.

So, my experience of MV warranty is: No. This goes for Europe. Hopefully US warranty works better.
Yes, all my papers are in order. Yes, it has been ridden carefully. Still doing break-in..

It was nice to ride.. all the 1120 kms I managed before it broke down. 1 year ago..
Wow...that is terrible! I know the taxes are murder on anything nice in Sweden...A shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragile View Post
I paid near full price for my baby and intend to take care of it as such. If there is a warranty issue that is tied to defect, I expect them to make right or I will take any and all legal and commercial action to ensure fair treatment. I will say however, I believe their build quality is excellent in the small amount of time that I have experienced this one. Meticulous crafting is claimed on their engine build. I am confident this bike is as reliable as my duc
I feel the same way.

If I buy an MV (or any make) and it falls apart, or they don't honor their warranty, I will spend thousands of dollars just to spite them.

I hope MV are not cavalier with their clients...
IneedAnF4 is offline  
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 08:55 PM
Senior Member
 
R1andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 7,640
New Site Garage
All I can say if your heart is not in it, then move on to another brand. You can listen to the 2% which have had problem and cry all the time or be the 98% that love their bike. Go to any bike forum and you will find issues with the bikes. I am currently dealing with a leak issue on my Ducati again. I have never had that issue on my F4.
R1andrew is offline  
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Formerly WYD OPN
 
VELTRO 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Champaign, IL, USA
Posts: 2,150
I have a number of Italian bikes, including MVs. And I have JapCrap, Milwaukee products, and others. The MVs have been absolutely reliable, and are possibly the easiest to work on of any brand.

The few Gen1 issues are well-known and easily remedied. Parts supply and timeliness can be an issue. Dealers are fewer and farther between than with many other manufacturers. Warranty claims are no different than with other manufacturers overall.

I've had no major problem with any bike, including MVs. I see no reason for concern beyond the considerations above regarding parts and quantity of dealers. Most remaining dealers are primarily the better ones, in my experience.

I won't ever hesitate to buy MVs.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
VELTRO 1 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome