1st-time MV Agusta owner? - Page 3 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 01:43 AM
Formerly - dagmvagusta

I never owned one prior to 2012. I owned gsxr1000,s, cbr 900s and still have a 2009 zx6r for track use. I brought the 2012 f41000r because it has been one of the dream machines I wanted to own. Guess what I didn't know anyone prior to owning it, didn't know about this forum, never rode or sat on one either. I say all this to tell you I love the bike, love the history and passion I read about from other forum members and wouldn't change the decision. I have always wanted to own a Maserati coupe. When it came time to buy that in 2011 I did pure and simple and love that to. You can ask a million questions but what it comes down to is either you want it or not. Just make your mind and do it or don't. I can't believe this thread has gone on this long. Just my opinion. Good luck

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

"In the middle of difficulty lies OPPORTUNITY!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VELTRO 1 View Post
MV Agusta ownership will likely be much more pleasant than your current Kawasaki experience. But I've owned, and still own, a boatload of Kawasakis; and I'd say that's a very abnormal situation for your Kwacka.

The hallmark of the F4 is its handling stability. It loves to be on its side, and it stays where you put it with great feedback. I much prefer the Gen1 bikes, even though the Gen2s are arguably "better" all-around motorcycles. It's like the difference between vinyl and digital audio media.

I don't even know which MV you're considering, presumably the Gen2 F4 based on your OP quote of $23K for the purchase price.

The Gen2s don't have the overheating issue or the hub issue. They've had the well-publicized fuel-mapping consumer Beta-test, because it wasn't sorted pre-production. That's virtually behind us now, and with more and more refinement to come.

There are scattered individual issues, but all are similar to the Big-4 Jappers and other Euro manufacturers. Remember that both Aprilia and BMW had extensive recalls for connecting rod bolt problems. Kawasaki had a similar significant engine issue with the latest ZX-10R generation. All have been resolved, though at great inconvenience to owners (and dealers, truth be told).

I probably appreciate as great a cross-section of brands and types and niches and eras of motorcycles as anyone drawing breath. MVs are incomparable in intangible ways. And that's one of the reasons many aren't giving the more tangible feedback you're wanting in such minutiae.

MVs are engaging and emotion-evoking. It's an experience, and that doesn't always translate into words. I don't know if you've ever driven many Ferraris and Lamborghinis, but that experience would translate if you have.

The Gen2 F4s don't have quite the feeling of low-production hand-built quality of the Gen1 F4s, but they're still levels above all other competitors in fit and finish. It's not a Honda competence and appliance type of fit and finish. It's an exquisite and artfully substantial type of fit and finish, with a quality that belies mere function. It's sensory before and beyond the riding experience itself. Many owners spend time in the garage with their bikes to look at them and even talk to them. I have, and do.

From the purely practical side regarding dependability, MVs are as reliable as anything on a general basis. The problems you see on this forum are not a percentage indication of failure and mechanical woes. The niche size of MV Agusta has just not provided enough dealers to do all the trouble-shooting, etc.

Tamburini-era MVs are certainly far beyond Tamburini-era Ducatis in reliability and servicability, as well as cost of ownership. The newer-eras of Ducatis have progressively improved in all those areas. Overall, MVs offer the same level of mechanical dependability as any other brand. The dealer insufficiencies can sometimes be a bottleneck.

But it's not a crap-shoot. MV Agusta stands behind their products. And I'd never hesitate for one second to buy any product they offer if it's what I want to have in my garage.

An argument could be made that in case of any down-time, MVs may not be the best candidates for an only-bike garage. But I'm not sure I would even agree with that. (Though I can't imagine having a one-bike garage, so I'm probably not the one to reference for such a perception or preference.)

Go test ride one. If you don't have a conversation with her, you may not be ready for such a mistress. MVs are usually bought with the heart, not the head.

As always, your mileage may vary about any/all of this.

Couldn't have said it better myself
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 11:33 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Indeed...where are you on this Big Blue Marble?

Gapalicious 2020 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from Sept. 23-Sept.27, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by george4337 View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself
This quote was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
Indeed...where are you on this Big Blue Marble?
I live in Austin, Texas. I have a Ducati/MV dealer only 8 miles from me. They have a white F4 w/red frame on the floor.

Though I prefer the 2010 F4 with dark grey/silver bodywork with the red frame...and the 5 spoke "star" wheels...

http://autobikegallery.com/2011-mv-a...specification/

post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 05:04 AM

Indeed,

My experiences with an F4 is like no other !...I'm constantly being invited to ride with guys riding 20+yrs. I'm probably considered a new rider (riding under 4 yrs) but they invite me because they know when we's show up...we's NOT f#ckin around and mean bizness and we's about to "get it in !"...but that depends on the type of rider you are !...Also doesn't it seem when 1 person gets a new part on a Japanese bike...everyone else gets the same...I love the originality because NOT EVERYONE CAN GO GET AN MV !!

Everywhere I go and be seen...

Nothing but compliments...and too tell u the truth...receiving compliments or answering questions about the bike is by far way more annoying than any work i need to do to her in the garage...the payout (compliments/respect/coolness factor)...is well worth having to turn the wrench on her !!

which brings me to maintenance/repair...

My confidence to work on the her comes from the fact she's hand built...they put it on so I have to get it off...so if ur handy with tools, you'll be just fine. The manuals are great and full of the technical stuff but THIS forum is INVALUABLE and really is where the ALL the support comes from...FULL OF KNOWLEDGE.
You will be fine !!

in closing a dealership close to u could be an advantage or disadvantage...and for u to decide...

Perhaps your questions/concerns should be directed to dealership to help you decide. You should DEFINITELY get an idea of the level of support you can expect to get from them in case u need them ? ...I would ask them have the made all the "recall" mods/upgrades that concern you?...You're planning to buy a bike from them and it would alarm me if they havn't done or more shockingly havn't heard of any of the mods your asking about as they are no longer issues for most of us here. That bike should be in tip top shape and ready for you to ENJOY ! !

Most can pay the "Gold" price for education...but EVERYONE has to pay the "Iron" price for experience ! ! !

Last edited by Saso; 05-12-2014 at 05:09 AM.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saso View Post
Indeed,

My experiences with an F4 is like no other !...I'm constantly being invited to ride with guys riding 20+yrs. I'm probably considered a new rider (riding under 4 yrs) but they invite me because they know when we's show up...we's NOT f#ckin around and mean bizness and we's about to "get it in !"...but that depends on the type of rider you are !...Also doesn't it seem when 1 person gets a new part on a Japanese bike...everyone else gets the same...I love the originality because NOT EVERYONE CAN GO GET AN MV !!

Everywhere I go and be seen...

Nothing but compliments...and too tell u the truth...receiving compliments or answering questions about the bike is by far way more annoying than any work i need to do to her in the garage...the payout (compliments/respect/coolness factor)...is well worth having to turn the wrench on her !!

which brings me to maintenance/repair...

My confidence to work on the her comes from the fact she's hand built...they put it on so I have to get it off...so if ur handy with tools, you'll be just fine. The manuals are great and full of the technical stuff but THIS forum is INVALUABLE and really is where the ALL the support comes from...FULL OF KNOWLEDGE.
You will be fine !!

in closing a dealership close to u could be an advantage or disadvantage...and for u to decide...

Perhaps your questions/concerns should be directed to dealership to help you decide. You should DEFINITELY get an idea of the level of support you can expect to get from them in case u need them ? ...I would ask them have the made all the "recall" mods/upgrades that concern you?...You're planning to buy a bike from them and it would alarm me if they havn't done or more shockingly havn't heard of any of the mods your asking about as they are no longer issues for most of us here. That bike should be in tip top shape and ready for you to ENJOY ! !
Very good--thank you!
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 03:05 AM
A.I

Quote:
Originally Posted by VELTRO 1 View Post
I have a number of Italian bikes, including MVs. And I have JapCrap, Milwaukee products, and others. The MVs have been absolutely reliable, and are possibly the easiest to work on of any brand.

The few Gen1 issues are well-known and easily remedied. Parts supply and timeliness can be an issue. Dealers are fewer and farther between than with many other manufacturers. Warranty claims are no different than with other manufacturers overall.

I've had no major problem with any bike, including MVs. I see no reason for concern beyond the considerations above regarding parts and quantity of dealers. Most remaining dealers are primarily the better ones, in my experience.

I won't ever hesitate to buy MVs.
What type of milage you have on those beautiful bikes?sir
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 09:14 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Dahulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1andrew View Post
All I can say if your heart is not in it, then move on to another brand. You can listen to the 2% which have had problem and cry all the time or be the 98% that love their bike. Go to any bike forum and you will find issues with the bikes. I am currently dealing with a leak issue on my Ducati again. I have never had that issue on my F4.
+1
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 02:02 PM
Established Member

OP where are you located? Im in Corpus Christi Texas, and the only owner of an MV in this town. I too bought my bike from the Austin dealership. They're great guys. The owner Marc will get you set up nicely, and their master Tech Tim used to work in Italy, and seems to know his shit.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saso View Post
Indeed,

This is a very good point; on Saturdays I ride up Pacific Coast hwy w/ my brother and his '12 F4R, we literally can't stop anywhere w/o having to answer questions or even let people pose for pictures next to our bikes. They are awesome to ride but, you do and will draw a lot of attention if you stop anywhere. You'll spend the afternoon answering questions instead of riding! -Davis
P.S. 5k+ miles on my '13 F4R and only been to the dealer for fuel map upgrades and maintenance.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode