1st-time MV Agusta owner? - Page 2 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 03:34 PM

A warranty on a new vehicle is not just a manufacturer's pledge, but a legal requirement. Providing you don't do anything to jeopardise their legal obligation to fix any defects within the warranty period, you shouldn't have any problems. In my experience MV are no different to any other manufacturer in that regard.

Si
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IneedAnF4 View Post
Thank you both, very much for your comments!

How does MV, in your experience stand by its products? Does it honor its warranty?

Specific examples, please.....

Thank you all again!
Greetings!

I had the same concern as you since Italian bikes have a reputation of being more temperamental than Japanese bikes; akin to German cars vs Japanese cars.

I think honoring the warranty may have just as much to do with your local dealer, in addition to the factory. Having said that, I had a great experience with my warranty work. Here's my experience...picked up a used MY10 in 2012 from a private seller. Warranty was intact for only a few more months. Took it to the closest dealer with some real issues that I learned about from this site and some minor quibbles specific to my bike. MY10 had the rear subframe needing added bracket to reinforce support, oil weeping from the clutch cover, weak return spring on the shifter, failing heat insulation inside the panels, LCD dash starting to bleed and become unreadable and the expanding gas tank that affects all Italian bike here in the states (Ducati included). Now here is where it gets even better, the headlight housing (black housing around the projector but under the clear glass) had cosmetic smudge in the plastic housing (likely from the mold during manufacturing) and my rear wheel had paint fading in certain areas that I suspect may have to do with the chemicals the previous owner used. Except for the tank, EVERYTHING was fixed without any hesitation by the dealer, including replacement of the rear wheel. Both MV and the dealer took great care of me. In fact, a year later I received an unsolicited email from the dealer that asked if I still had the bike. I confirmed that I did and they asked me to send a photo of my tank so they could order the right replacement color as they now have a fix for the tank. It doesn't get better than this.

On one hand, it is discouraging to hear of all these numerous issues on a new bike but I chalk that up to being a new model that's cutting it's teeth. In the end MV took care of me so I hope this specific example helps address your question. I'll say again, I think your local dealer may have just as much with regards to your overall experience as it is MV's. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Enjoy your bike and post some pics!

Last edited by JHMVAGUSTA; 05-09-2014 at 08:53 PM.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1andrew View Post
All I can say if your heart is not in it, then move on to another brand. You can listen to the 2% which have had problem and cry all the time or be the 98% that love their bike. Go to any bike forum and you will find issues with the bikes. I am currently dealing with a leak issue on my Ducati again. I have never had that issue on my F4.
My heart is in it, or I would not be here.

No need to be defensive. I have not insulted MV or its products. I am just soliciting the opinions and experiences of those who have actually owned/currently own an F4.

For me, a $20k+ bike is a lot of money, so I want to do some legwork first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VELTRO 1 View Post
I have a number of Italian bikes, including MVs. And I have JapCrap, Milwaukee products, and others. The MVs have been absolutely reliable, and are possibly the easiest to work on of any brand.

The few Gen1 issues are well-known and easily remedied. Parts supply and timeliness can be an issue. Dealers are fewer and farther between than with many other manufacturers. Warranty claims are no different than with other manufacturers overall.

I've had no major problem with any bike, including MVs. I see no reason for concern beyond the considerations above regarding parts and quantity of dealers. Most remaining dealers are primarily the better ones, in my experience.

I won't ever hesitate to buy MVs.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatWhisperer View Post
A warranty on a new vehicle is not just a manufacturer's pledge, but a legal requirement. Providing you don't do anything to jeopardise their legal obligation to fix any defects within the warranty period, you shouldn't have any problems. In my experience MV are no different to any other manufacturer in that regard.

Si
Yes...which is why I will use my warranty to the full if I buy an F4, or any bike, for that matter. My Kawasaki is going back to the dealer for the 5th time...and it is 1 1/2 years old with under 3,000 miles. Inexcusable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHMVAGUSTA View Post
Greetings!

I had the same concern as you since Italian bikes have a reputation of being more temperamental than Japanese bikes; akin to German cars vs Japanese cars.

I think honoring the warranty may have just as much to do with your local dealer, in addition to the factory. Having said that, I had a great experience with my warranty work. Here's my experience...picked up a used MY10 in 2012 from a private seller. Warranty was intact for only a few more months. Took it to the closest dealer with some real issues that I learned about from this site and some minor quibbles specific to my bike. MY10 had the rear subframe needing added bracket to reinforce support, oil weeping from the clutch cover, weak return spring on the shifter, failing heat insulation inside the panels, LCD dash starting to bleed and become unreadable and the expanding gas tank that affects all Italian bike here in the states (Ducati included). Now here is where it gets even better, the headlight housing (black housing around the projector but under the clear glass) had cosmetic smudge in the plastic housing (likely from the mold during manufacturing) and my rear wheel had paint fading in certain areas that I suspect may have to do with the chemicals the previous owner used. Except for the tank, EVERYTHING was fixed without any hesitation by the dealer, including replacement of the rear wheel. Both MV and the dealer took great care of me. In fact, a year later I received an unsolicited email from the dealer that asked if I still had the bike. I confirmed that I did and they asked me to send a photo of my tank so they could order the right replacement color as they now have a fix for the tank. It doesn't get better than this.

On one hand, it is discouraging to hear of all these numerous issues on a new bike but I chalk that up to being a new model that's cutting it's teeth. In the end MV took care of me so I hope this specific example helps address your question. I'll say again, I think your local dealer may have just as much with regards to your overall experience as it is MV's. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Enjoy your bike and post some pics!
This is highly encouraging! Thank you, friend!

Tell me more about living with an F4? What quirks (this isn't necessarily bad) does it have over a bland Japanese I-4 bike? How difficult is fairing assembly/re-assembly for when I do my own maintenance? Is it true the gearbox takes separate lubrication than the engine, like an automobile engine?

Are the MV "special tools" in the manuals actually needed to keep her up-and-running?

My local dealer has not been helpful--the parts counter guy only knows Ducatis and the technicians were all too busy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 11:13 PM
Formerly - dagmvagusta

Buy the mv and enjoy it. You can't compare it to a japenese bike. Totally different.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

"In the middle of difficulty lies OPPORTUNITY!"
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmvagusta View Post
Buy the mv and enjoy it. You can't compare it to a japenese bike. Totally different.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I know they are different, but how so? As someone who owns and rides and F4, what is it that makes it different? That is, other than the exquisite looks, intoxicating sound, exclusivity, exotic appeal, history, etc?

What is ownership like?

What do you feel when you turn the key?

What is riding it like?

How does MV Agusta North America treat it's clients, in your experience?

How long does it take to get parts for service?

How is long-term durability/fit-and-finish?

What are the F4's strong points?/It's weak ones?

I am interested in the owner's perspective, versus Sport Rider magazine or some publication that doesn't ride the bike 15k miles over a period of years.

I have done a lot of reading, but have not found a thread that asks what is ownership like?
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 04:51 AM

New Site Garage
Lightbulb

Quote:
Hello all.

I think I am about to take the plunge.

I love this marque, and her history. I am about ready to buy.

After years of owning great, but still less "passionate" motorcycles, I think I am ready to finally buy an F4. I am sick of seeing "me" riding by every week.

I don't need to wax why I am interested in an F4...we all know what makes these motorcycles so special.

I have some questions:

1) Am I to understand that every time I adjust my chain, I have to have the bike aligned?

you mean re-adjusting the ride height? 5min job, yes.

2) Is the cooling issue solved?on the >10 bikes? Yes.

Is the sidestand angle solved? Only a problem for some guys.Is the rear tailsection subframe issue solved? this was only a issue on the first few y10 modelsThe cylinder #3 failure? Conrad failure?Again, it's model specific, mostly 1000S <10 models.The rear wheel hub bearing? Another model specific question. <y10 models only, get a Mitchy hub if you're worried.Is the heat-shielding staying on the motorcycle now? Any outstanding weak points on the 2012+ F4 bikes? Still developing and perfecting tuning option.

3) I am interested in working on this motorcycle myself...does MV make it impossible for the shade-tree mechanic?
depends on how capable you are.
4) Does MV stand behind their product?--I called the U.S. distributor, who was nice, but seemed very uninterested in answering any questions.
dealers deal with issues.
5) What is ownership like? Will this motorcycle be in the shop every month getting "corrected/tuned"? Please be honest.
it often depends on owners capability and dealers competency .

I'm not expecting a Honda, but I don't want to wait on my dealer to finish scratching his head. My closest dealer is Moto Ducati/MV Agusta in Austin, Texas.

6) How is the fit and finish? How does these motorcycles "age"? Are they like BMW automobiles, falling apart after a few years? I plan on splurging on an F4 and keeping it for a decade or more---mostly for street riding and the odd track day.
You'd have to be kidding, coming from a Honda...!?
7) My main concern is that I don't want to spend $23k on a motorcycle and spend no time riding it.

I have been reading the forums for the past couple of months now, and I am grateful for any additional insights any F4 owners can provide.

I thank you all for your time and help.

I hope to be prepared when I buy my F4.
Quote:
I know they are different, but how so? As someone who owns and rides and F4, what is it that makes it different? That is, other than the exquisite looks, intoxicating sound, exclusivity, exotic appeal, history, etc?

I suggest you read some more, look at the events, see the MV guys getting together. Read throughout the pictures threads.

What is ownership like? Like being married to the girl everybody wanted in school.

What do you feel when you turn the key? Unbuttoning that girls shirt.

What is riding it like? Not saying any more...

How does MV Agusta North America treat it's clients, in your experience?

How long does it take to get parts for service?

How is long-term durability/fit-and-finish?
You've asked this before, go to a shop and see for yourself.
What are the F4's strong points?/It's weak ones?
everybody will have his own opinion based on life experience and riding skill.

I am interested in the owner's perspective, versus Sport Rider magazine or some publication that doesn't ride the bike 15k miles over a period of years.

I have done a lot of reading, but have not found a thread that asks what is ownership like?
Maybe you read in the wrong places, or you can't see what's right in front of you.
Go get one, or you will never know.

Hope this helps.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Maybe you read in the wrong places, or you can't see what's right in front of you.
Go get one, or you will never know.

Hope this helps.
I am trying to get as much feedback as possible.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 07:24 PM
Formerly WYD OPN

These aren't '80s Jaguars or Yugos, etc. They're reliable. There are a handful of specific issues with certain models that are easily remedied. There are small manufacturer occasions of parts availability and dealer scarcity for inconveniences.

They have soul and personality, great performance, and are rewarding to own and wrench on yourself with uncommon ease. This forum has the best technical assistance anywhere, like Donsy and the rest.

In a back-handed way, it's almost insulting to ask such volumes of questions that wouldn't be queried of JapCrap brands and other Euro marques.

I have large collections of a cross-section of brands. You have no extraordinary need for concern. If anything, this is the most solvent and stable period in MV's modern history. Go ride one (or more). If it talks to you, listen. If not, I don't know what to tell you.

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VELTRO 1 View Post
These aren't '80s Jaguars or Yugos, etc. They're reliable. There are a handful of specific issues with certain models that are easily remedied. There are small manufacturer occasions of parts availability and dealer scarcity for inconveniences.

They have soul and personality, great performance, and are rewarding to own and wrench on yourself with uncommon ease. This forum has the best technical assistance anywhere, like Donsy and the rest.

In a back-handed way, it's almost insulting to ask such volumes of questions that wouldn't be queried of JapCrap brands and other Euro marques.

I have large collections of a cross-section of brands. You have no extraordinary need for concern. If anything, this is the most solvent and stable period in MV's modern history. Go ride one (or more). If it talks to you, listen. If not, I don't know what to tell you.
I ask these questions not to be back-handed, but because I have not owned, nor have I met anyone who has owned an MV.

How can I assume anything? I don't assume my Kawasaki is reliable--it has been to the dealer 6 times for recalls and warranty issues and it is only 1 1/2 years and 2,800 miles old.

This is inexcusable.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 12:08 AM
Formerly WYD OPN

Quote:
I ask these questions not to be back-handed, but because I have not owned, nor have I met anyone who has owned an MV.

How can I assume anything? I don't assume my Kawasaki is reliable--it has been to the dealer 6 times for recalls and warranty issues and it is only 1 1/2 years and 2,800 miles old.

This is inexcusable.
MV Agusta ownership will likely be much more pleasant than your current Kawasaki experience. But I've owned, and still own, a boatload of Kawasakis; and I'd say that's a very abnormal situation for your Kwacka.

The hallmark of the F4 is its handling stability. It loves to be on its side, and it stays where you put it with great feedback. I much prefer the Gen1 bikes, even though the Gen2s are arguably "better" all-around motorcycles. It's like the difference between vinyl and digital audio media.

I don't even know which MV you're considering, presumably the Gen2 F4 based on your OP quote of $23K for the purchase price.

The Gen2s don't have the overheating issue or the hub issue. They've had the well-publicized fuel-mapping consumer Beta-test, because it wasn't sorted pre-production. That's virtually behind us now, and with more and more refinement to come.

There are scattered individual issues, but all are similar to the Big-4 Jappers and other Euro manufacturers. Remember that both Aprilia and BMW had extensive recalls for connecting rod bolt problems. Kawasaki had a similar significant engine issue with the latest ZX-10R generation. All have been resolved, though at great inconvenience to owners (and dealers, truth be told).

I probably appreciate as great a cross-section of brands and types and niches and eras of motorcycles as anyone drawing breath. MVs are incomparable in intangible ways. And that's one of the reasons many aren't giving the more tangible feedback you're wanting in such minutiae.

MVs are engaging and emotion-evoking. It's an experience, and that doesn't always translate into words. I don't know if you've ever driven many Ferraris and Lamborghinis, but that experience would translate if you have.

The Gen2 F4s don't have quite the feeling of low-production hand-built quality of the Gen1 F4s, but they're still levels above all other competitors in fit and finish. It's not a Honda competence and appliance type of fit and finish. It's an exquisite and artfully substantial type of fit and finish, with a quality that belies mere function. It's sensory before and beyond the riding experience itself. Many owners spend time in the garage with their bikes to look at them and even talk to them. I have, and do.

From the purely practical side regarding dependability, MVs are as reliable as anything on a general basis. The problems you see on this forum are not a percentage indication of failure and mechanical woes. The niche size of MV Agusta has just not provided enough dealers to do all the trouble-shooting, etc.

Tamburini-era MVs are certainly far beyond Tamburini-era Ducatis in reliability and servicability, as well as cost of ownership. The newer-eras of Ducatis have progressively improved in all those areas. Overall, MVs offer the same level of mechanical dependability as any other brand. The dealer insufficiencies can sometimes be a bottleneck.

But it's not a crap-shoot. MV Agusta stands behind their products. And I'd never hesitate for one second to buy any product they offer if it's what I want to have in my garage.

An argument could be made that in case of any down-time, MVs may not be the best candidates for an only-bike garage. But I'm not sure I would even agree with that. (Though I can't imagine having a one-bike garage, so I'm probably not the one to reference for such a perception or preference.)

Go test ride one. If you don't have a conversation with her, you may not be ready for such a mistress. MVs are usually bought with the heart, not the head.

As always, your mileage may vary about any/all of this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode