ECU Mapping - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

ECU Mapping

Background: Purchased a 2011 MV Agusta F4 from an authorized dealer in Toronto a few weeks ago. The bike has been used for one summer and had approx. 800kms on it. Was told by another MV rider to have the ECU mapping updated with the latest map that addressed engine heating issues. The dealer, in an attempt to update the mapping ended up frying the ECU and had to purchase & install a new ECU from MV Canada.

Coming from a long history of owning Japanese bikes, I wanted to ensure that my MV was performing as expected because it did not feel like it was. I had the other F4 rider take my bike for a test run and he noticed issues with the performance & responsiveness of the bike. I contacted MV Canada to identify if the new ECU is covered under warranty so that I can take to a different dealership that has better skills in ensuring the mapping is adjusted to peak performance. I don't trust the dealership that I purchased the bike from because if they fried the ECU once, they don't seem to indicate having the necessary expertise to tune these bikes. They don't even have a Dyno to identify issues with the power curve so I doubt they'll be able to tune the bike appropriately.

What do you guys think...any suggestions / recommendations?

M.O. from T.O.
2011 F4
2004 Yamaha R6
2007 Porsche 997.1 C2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 11:31 AM

New Site Garage
You seem to have the right idea in taking care of your baby. It is foolish to hold an incompetent party to taking care of your stuff, they'll just make it worse and worse and worse. I learned this with the first car I had. The axle was noisy and the Cadillac shop in Nurnberg pretended to fix, by order of GM Europe, although I first went to a smaller generalist repair that was also GM approved account and were very knowledgeable about these cars as they worked on many of them for enthusiasts and advised a total axle swap, which I agreed with. GM pulled them off the service order, citing a ring pinion is all that is needed and that the smaller shop was not authorized to do that. It exploded on me on the Autobahn shortly after the crap repair by Cadi dealer. I was too young to realize that GM was liable for this life threatening risk they put me through. Left me stranded and talking messed up German to an operator on an orange yellow box on Autobahn 7 northbound. Long story short, the nice folks at the smaller shop made their case to GM and made a perfect final repair on that Z-28 after the mainstream shop mucked it up. IMO, demand to take to someone else who has a clue on how to treat your baby. In worse case, initiate approach with who you think will take care of it, but not back to the goofballs who mucked it up.

'14 F4 RR ABS Pearly White/ Deep Black (13K miles still rolling, Haha!)
'13 Panigale S ABS (18.5K miles SOLD)
'15 Panigale R (2K miles)
'15 Fireblade SP (1K miles)
Los Angeles North

Last edited by Fragile; 04-25-2014 at 11:38 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

We have such limited options in terms of qualified people with the appropriate tools to configure the electronics of this bike. MV Agusta Canada is of no real help either and I hope I don't end up regretting my decision to jump into the MV world Worst case scenario, might have to ride the bike down to a US Dealer to address my issues.

M.O. from T.O.
2011 F4
2004 Yamaha R6
2007 Porsche 997.1 C2

Last edited by F4_Toronto; 04-25-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 03:32 PM
Established Member

You're a little farther away than me from TT Detroit but based on some other forum member comments and having been at the dealership once, I'd suggest going there. Probably a little over a 200 mile ride for you. I know they have a dyno and do tune MV's. I talked to Rob one of the owners and he seems VERY knowledgable and very friendly. I bought my MV from Minnesota a month ago (because of the price) but will most likely be taking my F4R to TT Detroit later this year for some tuning and dyno runs.

http://www.ttdetroit.com/

They sell MV, Duc, Aprilla, etc.

2012 F4R
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Thank you...there is one dealership that I still have to try here in Toronto but if things don't pan out I'm borrowing a pickup truck, loading the bike and driving to Detroit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seismic View Post
You're a little farther away than me from TT Detroit but based on some other forum member comments and having been at the dealership once, I'd suggest going there. Probably a little over a 200 mile ride for you. I know they have a dyno and do tune MV's. I talked to Rob one of the owners and he seems VERY knowledgable and very friendly. I bought my MV from Minnesota a month ago (because of the price) but will most likely be taking my F4R to TT Detroit later this year for some tuning and dyno runs.

http://www.ttdetroit.com/

They sell MV, Duc, Aprilla, etc.

M.O. from T.O.
2011 F4
2004 Yamaha R6
2007 Porsche 997.1 C2
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 09:50 AM

New Site Garage
Is there any way to tell if my bike has the updated mapping? I only have 100kms on my bike so have no idea as to how it's performing as of yet. I read the following on another site:

"The forthcoming F3 800 was the first production bike to receive the upgrade, then it was applied to all F4 models. F3 675 updates will be available September 10. New ECU maps are available for free to MV owners. Check the MV website under your specific model to see if there are updates available. If so, schedule an appointment with your MV dealer to have the update installed."

However the link they provide is dead and I, like F4_Toronto, have zero faith in the local dealer (they put 998kms on my bill of sale because they read the kms to next service and thought that was the total on the bike....sent me away with a dead battery AND told me that an oil change had already been done based on the kms on the bike...not likely) SOOO needless to say I am a little wary of any info I get from them and CERTAINLY have no intent on letting them do anything on this bike if I don't have to.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 02:32 PM

Could be wrong, but it don't think there's been a map update for pre-'13 F4s since 2011. Their reference to new updates to the F4 after the F3 800s I think likely only applies to 13+ models. ("All F4s" being F4/R/RR.)

Si
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

KD...where are you located?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmiller View Post
Is there any way to tell if my bike has the updated mapping? I only have 100kms on my bike so have no idea as to how it's performing as of yet. I read the following on another site:

"The forthcoming F3 800 was the first production bike to receive the upgrade, then it was applied to all F4 models. F3 675 updates will be available September 10. New ECU maps are available for free to MV owners. Check the MV website under your specific model to see if there are updates available. If so, schedule an appointment with your MV dealer to have the update installed."

However the link they provide is dead and I, like F4_Toronto, have zero faith in the local dealer (they put 998kms on my bill of sale because they read the kms to next service and thought that was the total on the bike....sent me away with a dead battery AND told me that an oil change had already been done based on the kms on the bike...not likely) SOOO needless to say I am a little wary of any info I get from them and CERTAINLY have no intent on letting them do anything on this bike if I don't have to.

M.O. from T.O.
2011 F4
2004 Yamaha R6
2007 Porsche 997.1 C2
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 06:30 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4_Toronto View Post
KD...where are you located?
In Manitoba.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 01:48 PM
Established Member

total waste of time messing with the ECU. My 2011 runs fine with stock pipes and the bodis I have on now. but if you really need a shop to dyno tune it now I would use www.pro6cycle.com they built all my race bikes and are a top shop

16 MV F3800RC-16 BMWS1000RR-13 Panigale R-74 Harley Bobber

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode