Clutch seems to not disengage properly at stop - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Clutch seems to not disengage properly at stop

Hi guys, I have been searching for this but did not get to what it looks to be the case.

So, neutral started to be hard to find and lever seems to have a hard pull at stop. It looks like it happens just after riding at low speed (city traffic or low speed streets). With the engine off and engaged, bike is hard to pull with clutch fully engaged. At speed I can find neutral.

It all started when at 4.000 km, I replaced the fluid since it used to be the case with my duc, but did not really worked good. Bike has now 11.800km and apparently it's becoming worse.

Now I bleed the fluid a few times, looked for leaks, got clutch lever to the farthest position and it keeps the same. Others guys that had the F4 locally complained about the same, and the dealer wanted to pull out the clutch and kind of sand something there.

Does it makes any sense?

One thing that might be relevant, is that the F4s in Brazil comes from factory with Motul 5100 (recommended on manual). Given the fact it is not a full synthetic oil, could it cause these sort of problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 11:47 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
I use the same engine oil in my bike and never had a problem.Sorry,but it sounds like air in the system.Are you using fresh DOT4 brake fluid and what is your method of bleeding?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 04:06 AM
Established Member

I had this problem with a VFR400 NC30 it ended up being the clutch, it eventually expired (started slipping). I used to have to switch the bike off to put it in neutral.
I replaced the friction plates and the gearbox felt a million times better afterwards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 05:59 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenyF3800Ago View Post
I had this problem with a VFR400 NC30 it ended up being the clutch, it eventually expired (started slipping). I used to have to switch the bike off to put it in neutral.
I replaced the friction plates and the gearbox felt a million times better afterwards.
His bike has only done 11,000kms,unless it has been abused,I can't see it being the clutch plates,maybe there is a broken clutch spring causing the problem.I might be time to strip and investigate.Just thinking.

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 06:46 AM

New Site Garage
Motul 5100 as standard form factory, I've never seen that in any MV manual, please share and what weight are you using 10W40 ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 04:03 PM
Established Member

I had the same problem and symptoms on my 2012 F4 at about 3,000 miles on the odometer. The dealership suggested replacing all of the wearable clutch parts. But of course, I knew better . Clutches don't wear at this rate/mileage unless the clutch is abused. So I had my very mechanically inclined buddy flush the clutch with new high grade DOT 4 brake fluid (sorry but I don't remember the brand) and do a thorough bleeding of ALL the clutch bleed fittings (this is where some short cuts may have been taken, causing your symptoms). Some suggest bleeding the fittings top to bottom, but I have no opinion on the technique used. IMHO-The most important thing is to bleed ALL of the fittings. She's been working like a charm ever since.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanl View Post
Hi guys, I have been searching for this but did not get to what it looks to be the case.

So, neutral started to be hard to find and lever seems to have a hard pull at stop. It looks like it happens just after riding at low speed (city traffic or low speed streets). With the engine off and engaged, bike is hard to pull with clutch fully engaged. At speed I can find neutral.

It all started when at 4.000 km, I replaced the fluid since it used to be the case with my duc, but did not really worked good. Bike has now 11.800km and apparently it's becoming worse.

Now I bleed the fluid a few times, looked for leaks, got clutch lever to the farthest position and it keeps the same. Others guys that had the F4 locally complained about the same, and the dealer wanted to pull out the clutch and kind of sand something there.

Does it makes any sense?

One thing that might be relevant, is that the F4s in Brazil comes from factory with Motul 5100 (recommended on manual). Given the fact it is not a full synthetic oil, could it cause these sort of problems?

Will
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
I use the same engine oil in my bike and never had a problem.Sorry,but it sounds like air in the system.Are you using fresh DOT4 brake fluid and what is your method of bleeding?
I think it would be better if that's the case. Let's see after I solve what's going on.

I used fresh Motul 5.1. Method is the one described at the workshop manual, which is open the bleeding nut, pull the lever, close the nut, release the lever and pump it a few times. When it's low on the reservoir, complete with new fluid and continue the procedure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenyF3800Ago View Post
The dealer told that to my mate that have similar problem, but since he had only a few kms, they ended removing and sanding it, at least that's what they told him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
His bike has only done 11,000kms,unless it has been abused,I can't see it being the clutch plates,maybe there is a broken clutch spring causing the problem.I might be time to strip and investigate.Just thinking.
You are right, too low mileage for this kind of problems (bike was far from being abused). What makes me think is that the only two guys that I know that have F4s here had the same with low mileage.

I'm wondering if that's usual on the F4s, or only usual to the brazilians F4s (that's the reason for the oil concerns).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Motul 5100 as standard form factory, I've never seen that in any MV manual, please share and what weight are you using 10W40 ?
I don't remember the spec, but it is for sure the 5100. Will take a picture from the manual and share for you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWill View Post
I had the same problem and symptoms on my 2012 F4 at about 3,000 miles on the odometer. The dealership suggested replacing all of the wearable clutch parts. But of course, I knew better . Clutches don't wear at this rate/mileage unless the clutch is abused. So I had my very mechanically inclined buddy flush the clutch with new high grade DOT 4 brake fluid (sorry but I don't remember the brand) and do a thorough bleeding of ALL the clutch bleed fittings (this is where some short cuts may have been taken, causing your symptoms). Some suggest bleeding the fittings top to bottom, but I have no opinion on the technique used. IMHO-The most important thing is to bleed ALL of the fittings. She's been working like a charm ever since.

Good luck.
Thanks, just so I can have it clear, you did nothing with the plates right? Just changed and cleaned the hydraulics?

Will take the bike to the dealer tomorrow and let them have a look...
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 11:30 PM
Established Member

You are correct. I did nothing to the plates. All I did was flush and bleed the clutch's hydraulic fluid thoroughly.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Will
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

It really looks like something with the hydraulics. The Duc I had before did exactly the same from time to time and just a regular bleeding used to solve it.

I'm a little late to take the bike to the shop today, so maybe I will just disassemble the slave to clean it and try another bleeding. Let's see and I get to you guys after that.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post

Hi Donsy, it's a 15w50 Motul 5100. I was trying to upload a pic of the manual, but receive a error message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode