2010 MV Agusta F4 and Dimple Magnetic Drain Plug - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

2010 MV Agusta F4 and Dimple Magnetic Drain Plug

Guys,

I have been doing some upgrades to my 2010 F4 over the past few months (SAMCO hoses, HEL brake lines, EBC HH pads, etc.) and a simple one that could make a future difference is a Dimple super magnetic drain plug.

My other bikes have them and I figured that any ferrous metal pulled from the oil is all to the better. Dimple did not have one listed for the 2010 F4 so I measured my OEM factory drain plug and it fit the same specs as the Ducati one...22x1.5mm. Dimple sent me one (beautifully made) and it fit perfect.

So, while I have no association with Dimple, I do use their products and their 22x1.5 super magnetic drain plug is a relatively cheap mod to the F4 in order to keep the oil that much cleaner.

The Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 06:33 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs down no magnets '10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Tomcat View Post
Guys,

I have been doing some upgrades to my 2010 F4 over the past few months (SAMCO hoses, HEL brake lines, EBC HH pads, etc.) and a simple one that could make a future difference is a Dimple super magnetic drain plug.

My other bikes have them and I figured that any ferrous metal pulled from the oil is all to the better. Dimple did not have one listed for the 2010 F4 so I measured my OEM factory drain plug and it fit the same specs as the Ducati one...22x1.5mm. Dimple sent me one (beautifully made) and it fit perfect.

So, while I have no association with Dimple, I do use their products and their 22x1.5 super magnetic drain plug is a relatively cheap mod to the F4 in order to keep the oil that much cleaner.

The Tom
Tom;
'99-'09 MVs have magnetic drain plugs.....its just MV cutting corners

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 11:02 PM

Uh... my 2010 has a magnetic drain plug.

The theme of MV cutting corners with this crew is so overblown it's comical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 07:51 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleophus james View Post
Uh... my 2010 has a magnetic drain plug.

The theme of MV cutting corners with this crew is so overblown it's comical.
cleophus james;
i went out on a limb and assumed because he bought a magnetic drain plug it didn't come with one

my '05 F4 has a steel tank with a drain, beautifully machined alloy throttle cable ends, ride height adjuster and a hydraulic ride height adjuster and a drop out front axle and a real alternator

my '08 Brutale 910R has Jap dirt bike throttle cables on it (stock)
a plastic fuel tank with no drain
and doesn't have a hydraulic preload adjuster
it has the ride height adjuster of the F4....and a dirt bike front axle

i think you got the dirt bike cables, 2 steel rod ends and a piece of bar stock for a ride height adjuster, a '60s Brit bike alternator, a plastic tank....(goes great with ethanol, i think you just track your bike and use race gas so that doesn't matter to you)
and a cartridge oil filter
'10+ MV only offers a BiPosto with the suspect subframe and the cheesy pipes
don't know if you have a hydraulic preload adjuster either

i do know i don't like plastic tanks.....i have an '04 Aprilia RSVR with one and its hard to put the tank back on the bike because it expanded so much, i had to drill the fuel pump plate mounting bolt holes out to the put the fuel pump back in the tank

and a steel tank costs more than the plastic one for sure

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 07:58 PM

Hydraulic preloads aren't all that awesome. They weigh more and are an additional failure point. Not good on a track oriented bike. Agree on the plastic tanks, but steel isn't that great either. I wish there was an AL option.

What's wrong with your ride height adjuster? Mine looks fine.

Also, I'm genuinely curious, what is inferior about the cartridge vs. spin on oil filter?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 08:41 PM

Wink

Quote:
Hydraulic preloads aren't all that awesome. They weigh more and are an additional failure point. Not good on a track oriented bike. Agree on the plastic tanks, but steel isn't that great either. I wish there was an AL option.

What's wrong with your ride height adjuster? Mine looks fine.

Also, I'm genuinely curious, what is inferior about the cartridge vs. spin on oil filter?
hydraulic preload?.....try turning the lock rings with a pair of Ohlins wrenches vs turning a 5mm Allen......"track oriented" or a real race bike?

steel tanks aren't affected by ethanol and mine has a drain

my ride height adjuster is machined alloy with Heim joints in the ends and pinch bolts.....you have steel rod ends and a jamb nut

oil filters;
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo...tml#OilFilters
http://calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

look around his site

one of the advantages of spin ons is you can stick a Niobium super magnet on the outside of the steel case and trap more magnetic particles.....ask the airplane folks

Aluminum tanks? they are out there, somebody in Japan is making them

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
hydraulic preload?.....try turning the lock rings with a pair of Ohlins wrenches vs turning a 5mm Allen......"track oriented" or a real race bike?
I turn the lock rings just fine with the ohlins wrench. How hard is it and how often are you changing pre-load? How much do you eat at the bar?

Quote:
my ride height adjuster is machined alloy with Heim joints in the ends and pinch bolts.....you have steel rod ends and a jamb nut
Uh, your heim joints are not any advantage over rod ends in this application as it is a single plane load. Also, what are they made of? Steel. So it has pinch bolts instead of a jamb nut... yay?

Quote:
one of the advantages of spin ons is you can stick a Niobium super magnet on the outside of the steel case and trap more magnetic particles.....ask the airplane folks
questionable value, and not necessarily a cost cutter.

Quote:
Aluminum tanks? they are out there, somebody in Japan is making them
Yeah and they are way too expensive. I want a factory option.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 06:00 AM
Established Member

i am wondering about these fuel tank issue's, mines a 2010, sits with regular 98 fuel in it all the time and has not expaneded in the slightest... is it just poor fuel that causes the issue? ( yes i realise that still isnt good)

2010 deffinately has magnetic bung as well

oil filters wise... again... really? the 2010 option isn't exactly cheap, and is still very effective, it also tucks completely out of the way and is not seen...

one thing i can say is the throttle cable is a good point!! as mine was twisted (poor fitting) and as a resualt would stick on.... made for a very interesting 1st to 2nd gear change... but in saying that i only had to remove it, fit it the right way and it has never happend again

as for all the suspension adjustment etc... really? ... how often do u change it anyway? and at the end of the day both systems are accient compaired to the full electronic type systems now.... which to be honest i'm not the biggest fan of ( lots more to go wrong)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 04:54 PM

Wink

Quote:
I turn the lock rings just fine with the ohlins wrench. How hard is it and how often are you changing pre-load? How much do you eat at the bar?

you have an Ohlins shock......doesn't work like that on a Sachs, i don't eat at a bar

Uh, your heim joints are not any advantage over rod ends in this application as it is a single plane load. Also, what are they made of? Steel. So it has pinch bolts instead of a jamb nut... yay?

yes, but your cheap version weighs more, mine's machined out of alloy

magnets on oil filters?
questionable value, and not necessarily a cost cutter.

magnets on the outside oil filters is very popular with private pilots, most pilots don't try to cut costs on safety things like keeping your motor running, what uses cartridge oil filters? besides the '10+ MVs? Aprilias and KTMs with vertical split cases....

Yeah and they are way too expensive. I want a factory option.
factory alloy tanks? .......you can want what you want.....but the factory won't help

good luck

my F4 will have Ti pipes......i'll make them, i did FMF's prototype pipes for 20 years....i just need a 1" roller....i used to use Uncle Donnie's, i'll get the Ti from him.....he has a Yoder tube mill, we made 400-500' of Ti tubing one morning just fucking around

ever look at the new fuel pump/injector rail?

dumb.....fuel doesn't circulate anymore it deadheads against the injectors ala BMW R bikes

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Yes, my 2010 F4 has a magnetic plug...

Guys,

I should have said in the original post that my 2010 F4 did come from the factory with a magnetic drain plug. However, since I had it stripped down to put in new SAMCO hoses, HEL lines, etc. I figured to upgrade the plug, too.

The OEM plug does work and the slight amount of "hair" on the plug after an oil change indicates this. However, since all my bikes now have Dimple plugs I just felt better with a godawful strong magnet being there which has a lot more "pull" than the OEM plug.

It absolutely cannot hurt having this much more powerful magnet and if nothing else....I feel better knowing it is there.

The Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode